I Wish I Could Write Like...

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
dios4vida

I Wish I Could Write Like...

Post by dios4vida » April 18th, 2012, 2:10 pm

I'm sure we've all done it. We've read a book and thought, "now THIS is the kind of book I want to write!" Or, "I wish I could write like this author!" Or maybe we finished a book and that was what triggered the madness desire to write in your mind.

For me, it was first The Demon Awakens by R.A. Salvatore. (That won't surprise anyone who's read a fair number of my posts.)

Then it was the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. (Again, no surprise.)

And most recently, the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews and anything by Brandon Sanderson.

Now it's your turn. What books or authors have fanned (or ignited) the flame of writing love in your mind?
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Mira

Re: I Wish I Could Write Like...

Post by Mira » April 18th, 2012, 7:52 pm

Great question!

I think I expressed on another thread just how much I admire J.K. Rowling. I write non-fiction, I can't plot or imagine a story, and I would LOVE to be able to write like that. It's just wonderful.

I do sometimes dabble in children's stories, though, and I really wouldn't mind having written Winnie-The-Pooh.

I'm sure there are others, books where I savor every line, but they aren't coming to me just yet.

Cool question, Brenda!

Beethovenfan

Post by Beethovenfan » April 18th, 2012, 11:44 pm

Stephen King. And not because I write horror, because I don't. I rarely even read it. But, he has a way of capturing a character and bringing them to life without ever describing their "raven hair," or their "lithe physique," if you know what I mean. He shows what they are like by how they act and react in a situation, by the real, honest-to-goodness-the-way-people-actually-talk kind of dialogue.

Also, Anne McCaffrey. The woman could spin a tale!
JK Rowling.
Charles Dickens.
Jane Austen.
"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine."
~ Ludwig van Beethoven

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » April 19th, 2012, 11:22 am

I would like the ability to create story worlds like Neil Gaiman, but I want to write like Jandy Nelson and Melina Marchetta.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

washingtonwriter1968

Post by washingtonwriter1968 » April 20th, 2012, 2:19 am

O K Brenda you know the answer so Let me tell everyone else.
I have so many it is hard to name just a few...
But in order of when I fell In Love with them. to least here goes...

Charles Dickens
S.E. Hinton
Stephen King
C. S. Lewis
JRR Tolkien
William Shakespeare
Mary Shelly
Margret Mitchell
Ann Rice
Oscar Wilde
Bram Stoker
Emily Bronte
Jane Austen
JK Rowling
Stephanie Meyer

I'm wondering what all these guys have in common besides the obvious.... they are Gothic... But what else Hmm Let me think on it and get back to you!.
Washington Writer
Thx 4 your time
http://washington1968.livejournal.com/

washingtonwriter1968

Post by washingtonwriter1968 » April 20th, 2012, 2:27 am

:D
Beethovenfan wrote:Stephen King. And not because I write horror, because I don't. I rarely even read it. But, he has a way of capturing a character and bringing them to life without ever describing their "raven hair," or their "lithe physique," if you know what I mean. He shows what they are like by how they act and react in a situation, by the real, honest-to-goodness-the-way-people-actually-talk kind of dialogue.

Also, Anne McCaffrey. The woman could spin a tale!
JK Rowling.
Charles Dickens.
Jane Austen.
Wow BeethovenWe have so much in common on our favorite authors!
Mira wrote:Great question!

I think I expressed on another thread just how much I admire J.K. Rowling. I write non-fiction, I can't plot or imagine a story, and I would LOVE to be able to write like that. It's just wonderful.

I do sometimes dabble in children's stories, though, and I really wouldn't mind having written Winnie-The-Pooh.

I'm sure there are others, books where I savor every line, but they aren't coming to me just yet.

Cool question, Brenda!
Wow Mira I forgot all about Winnie the Pooh....... oh and another favorite Curious George and The Velveteen Rabbit.... O so many good favorites as a kid :!: :D
Washington Writer
Thx 4 your time
http://washington1968.livejournal.com/

abc

Post by abc » April 23rd, 2012, 8:48 pm

Markus Zusak

trixie

Post by trixie » April 28th, 2012, 10:56 pm

Yes, 110% in agreement with ABC's comment above: Markus Zuzak.

I also really like how Laini Taylor writes. She has some incredibly beautiful passages in "Daughter of Smoke and Bone." There were some downsides, but if we're talking strictly about craft, I'd want her description skills combined with JK Rowling's world building skills and Kiersten White's voice skills.

And that's all just off the top of my head. I'll probably change my mind tomorrow.

AveryMarsh

Post by AveryMarsh » April 30th, 2012, 12:11 am

I third Markus Zusak, and add John Green and Suzanne Collins for her hooks and pacing.

Cookie

Post by Cookie » April 30th, 2012, 1:00 pm

I'm going to third Markus Zusak. Also, Anne Rice, JK Rowling, and Anne McCaffrey. I wish I could set up mystery and intrigue the way GRRM does. Maybe I'm not devious enough, or something. :)

Nicole R

Post by Nicole R » May 1st, 2012, 1:33 pm

I'll second some of the greats that people have already mentioned: Anne McCaffrey, J.K. Rowling and Brandon Sanderson. Plus, I wish I could capture characters like Robert Jordan, and voice/pacing like Rick Riordan or Karen Marie Moning. Oh, and Jim Butcher and Sarah Rees Brennan should get a mention, too!

Hillsy

Post by Hillsy » May 1st, 2012, 5:25 pm

Michael Marshall Smith. The dude just sings on a page. It's a crime he hasn't written more books......Case in point just skimmed a couple of pages quick and found this peach..
She was crying. Hard, with the hitching notes you rarely hear in someone who isn't a child
Beautiful, isn't it?

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » May 1st, 2012, 11:30 pm

I'm going to be the odd one out and say that I want to write like me. Yes, I wish I could write with the beauty and ability of a lot of the writers listed above. But I also want to leave my own mark on the writing world. The wonderful writers above obviously did so. I think everyone here can too. :)

I second the ability of a lot of writers in this post, and am adding Kevin Brockmeier to the list. The writing in The Illumination was incredibly beautiful!

CV