Hours per Week?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
dios4vida

Hours per Week?

Post by dios4vida » April 9th, 2012, 1:39 pm

We've all talked about how often we write - every day, every weekend, whenever we can - but I was thinking the other day about how many hours we each put in. Some people write every day and put in 7 hours, others would do 40. So, how many hours would you say you write every week?

Personally, I usually do about 20 solid hours of writing per week. It doesn't sound like much, especially since I don't have a day job, but it's about as much as I can do before my brain or body fizzles out on me.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

HillaryJ

Re: Hours per Week?

Post by HillaryJ » April 9th, 2012, 2:41 pm

Actual writing time? Probably 13 hours a week. Including outlining, reviewing notes (from crit partners, editor or myself), and researching, it's probably closer to 20 hours.

This is with a 40+ a week day job and a nuclear-powered toddler. ;)
Blog http://www.hillaryjacques.blogspot.com
Twitter http://www.twitter.com/hillaryjacques
CARNIEPUNK - http://books.simonandschuster.com/Carni ... 1476714158
as Regan Summers - The Night Runner series from Carina Press

Mark.W.Carson

Post by Mark.W.Carson » April 9th, 2012, 3:59 pm

Do you count thinking about it and critiquing? If so, I'm at about 12-50hrs a week :).

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » April 9th, 2012, 5:50 pm

Including outlining and editing, I write about 35-50 hours a week, depending on whether I can get out of yard work on the weekends. Honestly it's a second job most weeks, and that's cool. If you include blogging, add another 15 hours, although I do a lot of multi-tasking too. LIke if I'm at work during breaks or on hold or the hour and a half I have to wait for my husband after work on mondays.

Now this last weekend, for example, I worked from 10:30am until midnight both saturdya and sunday with breaks for dinner only. That's a pretty big exception though. It just happened I had extra time on my hands and a great need to fill them.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Mira

Post by Mira » April 9th, 2012, 10:22 pm

Well, not including the writing I do at work, I'd say weekdays, I do none, and others about an hour. Mostly I write on the weekend, and I tend to alternate an hour of writing with playing video games, watching T.V. and other healthy activities.

writersink

Post by writersink » April 10th, 2012, 5:56 am

*In a small voice.* About 7-8 (about 4 on my actual book.). I've always wanted to write an hour everyday, but I just never seem to have the time.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » April 10th, 2012, 8:06 am

Wow I just realized my blogging time has gone way down. I did the math last night - I probably only spend 5 hours a week now on blogging.

I decided a long time ago that writing was more important than most anything else. I still play video games and go out to dinner and hang out with my husband and see friends. I don't see friends as often as I used to, and I do video games and reading in spurts. I stopped being a tv watcher a long time ago, and except for going to the gym, everything else gets fit into my schedule around writing. It helps that my husband and I don't have kids and he has is own hobbies.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Falen

Post by Falen » April 10th, 2012, 3:48 pm

Mine really varies, since i do most my writing while at the dayjob, so it all depends on how much dayjob work i have that day.
We'll say a low average is 8 hrs a week, with some weeks being 0 (rarely, thank goodness) and some weeks being closer to 30.
"She said she cried at least once each day not because she was sad, but because the world was so beautiful and life was so short." - Brian Andreas

me bloggy - http://www.falenformulatesfiction.blogspot.com

Claudie

Post by Claudie » April 11th, 2012, 12:03 am

Mine varies a lot depending on school (and motivation, these days). I've put 20-25 hours in writing before, but in the last month I do more 5-10. It's been a rough patch. I'm finally coming out of it. :)
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Hillsy

Post by Hillsy » April 11th, 2012, 10:42 am

When I was writing I probably put in about 3-4 hours, 4.5 nights a week (friday and saturday nights were drinking nights and at least one other day a week I was too whacked to stay up til 2-3 writing so only did a couple of hours). However, that was undiluted fingertip tapping time, so I would lay out about 1000 words an hour, or 15-16K a week.

Course, the problem was they weren't particularly good words.......

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » April 11th, 2012, 11:25 am

Hillsy, I totally know what you mean. My 20ish hours a week net me somewhere around 5K. That's it. Talk about frustrating, when you spend half of your day, four days a week, trying to write and still move at a snail's pace.

What I want to know is how long it takes you to come up with your totally crazy, hilarious things - like your description of how you write with the alien oozing from your crumpled body under the desk. :) I couldn't have come up with something half that entertaining if you'd given me a week.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Ryan

Post by Ryan » April 12th, 2012, 12:43 am

I sit at my computer for probably 20 hours a week and write creatively on projects probably three of those hours. Damn Bransford Forums. Damn Facebook. Damn remodeling contracts. Damn work-work.
My love of fly fishing and surfing connects me to rivers and the ocean. Time with water reminds me to pursue those silly little streams of thought that run rampant in my head.
http://www.withoutrain.com/

Hillsy

Post by Hillsy » April 12th, 2012, 4:33 am

dios4vida wrote:What I want to know is how long it takes you to come up with your totally crazy, hilarious things.
Aww that's sooooooo sweet....I'm gonna blush now...... :oops:

....It doesn't take long; the ritual to the dark muse, Azrael, just requires three cute kittens, an industrial pestle and mortar and a few minutes of elbow grease.....

But thanks for saying something so kind

(he he he he)

susnacollins

Post by susnacollins » May 2nd, 2012, 2:28 am

2-3 hours per week iam using for writing.

trixie

Post by trixie » May 2nd, 2012, 11:32 pm

Ohh.. this is a tricky question.

Overall, I'd say I spend about 10 hrs a week being an author. However, this includes all activities under my authorial umbrella such as: blogging, commenting on blogs, checking in on Twitter, responding to emails, reading pages, writing group, etc.

I spend at least 2-3 hrs a week reading other people's work and another 2-3 hrs/week on my writing group (either reading their submissions or editing my pages before sending them out). So time spent doing my own actual "new" writing? Maybe 2 hrs a week. Clearly, my time is not being spent wisely.