Which Role playing Game are you playing?

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
Mira

Re: Which Role playing Game are you playing?

Post by Mira » March 3rd, 2012, 7:58 pm

I wish. I am not ALLOWED to play RPGs because I have no self-control and playing them puts my job at risk because sleep becomes something I'll get to EVENTUALLY.

But when I played them, Final Fantasy games were wonderful.

Collectonian

Post by Collectonian » March 6th, 2012, 2:05 am

Currently playing Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword on the Wii :-)

I'm looking forward to getting a PS3 next year or so when I can finally get Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 amongst others :D

Hillsy

Post by Hillsy » March 6th, 2012, 9:19 am

Just dotting the 'i's and crossing the 't's on Skyrim at the moment (185 hours in one character - Yes, I have Completionist Syndrome)....then it'll be Deus Ex: Human Evolution followed by Dark Souls.

Interestly, it was Final Fantasy 8 (I know it's massively flawed, but I love it sooooooo much. It's the best game i've played bar none) that got me writing properly in the first place and set the style/genre for what I wrote.

Viva FF!!!

MattLarkin

Post by MattLarkin » March 8th, 2012, 9:21 am

Finished Final Fantasy XIII-2 a little while back. I enjoyed it, though it wasn't my favorite. I actually wrote a review of it for my blog.

Shouldn't this thread be under Procrastination, not Books?
mattlarkin.net
larkinediting.com - freelance editing for fantasy and science fiction
ImageImageImage

Collectonian

Post by Collectonian » March 8th, 2012, 9:59 pm

Hillsy wrote:Interestly, it was Final Fantasy 8 (I know it's massively flawed, but I love it sooooooo much. It's the best game i've played bar none) that got me writing properly in the first place and set the style/genre for what I wrote.
Flawed? Flawed? Says who! Loved FF 8! Replayed it not so very long ago :-D Now 12....gorgeous graphics (of course) and music (of course) and I loved Balthier but the story was kind of "flat" for me.

Hillsy

Post by Hillsy » March 9th, 2012, 6:52 am

Collectonian wrote:Flawed? Flawed? Says who! Loved FF 8! Replayed it not so very long ago :-D Now 12....gorgeous graphics (of course) and music (of course) and I loved Balthier but the story was kind of "flat" for me.
A lot of people in the reviews weren't happy with the junctioning system being so complex, and the battles being that lengthy at times, some of the storyline.....but don't get me wrong, to a mildly autistic number cruncher like me the junctioning systme hasn't been bettered by a stats system yet IMO.

I'd love to play FF8 again, but my other half accidently e-bayed my PC version of the game when I moved in with her a few years back. Soul-crushing!

Collectonian

Post by Collectonian » March 9th, 2012, 12:32 pm

Aww :-(

I picked up a PS copy a year or two ago. It's always amusing to me (except when I want to buy one LOL) how much value some of the games have retained. Almost all FF games are still $30-40 used on PS, as are some of the bigger RPGs. And oh the limited release stuff...insane! Vagrant Story is like $100-200 used!! I'm still annoyed at myself that I used to sell games when I finished playing them, thinking I'd never want to again...now I'm having to reacquire them :P

MattLarkin

Post by MattLarkin » March 10th, 2012, 6:23 am

Collectonian wrote:Aww :-(

I picked up a PS copy a year or two ago. It's always amusing to me (except when I want to buy one LOL) how much value some of the games have retained. Almost all FF games are still $30-40 used on PS, as are some of the bigger RPGs. And oh the limited release stuff...insane! Vagrant Story is like $100-200 used!! I'm still annoyed at myself that I used to sell games when I finished playing them, thinking I'd never want to again...now I'm having to reacquire them :P
When you get that PS3, most of those games you mention are available as cheap downloads. I think Vagrant Story is $5.99. Almost all the Final Fantasy games are on there for $10, I think.
mattlarkin.net
larkinediting.com - freelance editing for fantasy and science fiction
ImageImageImage

Collectonian

Post by Collectonian » March 10th, 2012, 9:18 pm

Really? Sweet!

Hillsy

Post by Hillsy » March 12th, 2012, 12:18 pm

Vagrant Story?

Blast. From. The. Past!

JohnDurvin

Post by JohnDurvin » July 19th, 2012, 6:44 pm

I just discovered Pinball Quest, a game that combines RPG's and pinball. Unfortunately, it's for the original NES, so there's no save button, which is not good for RPG's...
Everybody loves using things as other things, right? Check out my blog at the Cromulent Bricoleur and see one hipster's approach to recycling, upcycling, and alterna-cycling (which is a word I just made up).

Mira

Post by Mira » July 21st, 2012, 7:09 pm

JohnDurvin wrote:I just discovered Pinball Quest, a game that combines RPG's and pinball. Unfortunately, it's for the original NES, so there's no save button, which is not good for RPG's...

Yeah, it's sad there isn't a better way to play games for old platforms. Some of them were gems!