Mobile Versions of Websites

Blogs, Facebook, Twitter, and promoting your book on the Internet
Ryan

Mobile Versions of Websites

Post by Ryan » October 13th, 2011, 11:38 pm

It's not often I'm stuck in traffic as I'm fortunate to find most of my remodel work close to home (swing a hammer for money) but I couldn't pass on a job 25 miles from home. Anyways, I was being one of those guys perusing my iPhone and creeping forward with my knees on the steering wheel and I came to understand what my website designer was talking about when he said I had to have website that would size automatically to whatever device it was being viewed on. Two of my favorite fly fishing sites don't do it. This website doesn't do it. A couple of book websites that I tried to link to didn't do it and a restaurant that someone recommended didn't have a mobile version either.

When you consider that over 50% of ALL internet traffic is viewed from a handheld device, then it's probably a good idea to have a site that will size automatically and cascade the information in a viewer friendly way. This way potential fans, readers, etc only have to scroll instead of zoom, search, and press tiny lettering. Most of the free blog sites instantly launch into mobile mode but a lot of other free website building services are lacking.

Just a quick thought I wanted to share with anyone who is in their website building stage.
My love of fly fishing and surfing connects me to rivers and the ocean. Time with water reminds me to pursue those silly little streams of thought that run rampant in my head.
http://www.withoutrain.com/

MattLarkin

Re: Mobile Versions of Websites

Post by MattLarkin » October 14th, 2011, 9:29 am

Hi Ryan! Mobile development is kind of a hot topic for web developers and designers these days. More and more we try to test to make sure most stuff we design is at least workable on different devices. In some cases, the answer is to have two websites, and detect what kind of device the user is using to determine which one it redirects to. But this can be a massive problem if your website is large.
Ryan wrote:When you consider that over 50% of ALL internet traffic is viewed from a handheld device, then it's probably a good idea to have a site that will size automatically and cascade the information in a viewer friendly way.
Can you provide a link to where you found this number? It's higher than what I've seen before, so I'm curious, since it's relevant to my day job.
mattlarkin.net
larkinediting.com - freelance editing for fantasy and science fiction
ImageImageImage

Ryan

Post by Ryan » October 14th, 2011, 11:30 am

Hey Matt

My source for that stat was my web guy...http://leighbrooks.com/.

A quick Google search led me to this article. http://gigaom.com/2010/04/12/mary-meeke ... -internet/

Regardless of what the number is exactly it's very likely that our readers will find our sites on a mobile device or tablet while standing in line, sitting in a waiting room, or while sipping coffee with a friend.

Even tablets with their larger screens need to have sites automatically size otherwise you have to zoom and move this way and that way. It drives my Mom crazy.

We had to work through a ton of bugs with my site but I'm pretty happy with the way info cascades and resizes.

Restaurants' sites especially need to be mobile friendly because half the time you are walking down the street or chillaxin' at a park trying to decide where to go eat.
My love of fly fishing and surfing connects me to rivers and the ocean. Time with water reminds me to pursue those silly little streams of thought that run rampant in my head.
http://www.withoutrain.com/

MattLarkin

Post by MattLarkin » October 14th, 2011, 5:36 pm

Restaurants for sure--any business really, especially downtown city businesses. And I think the general analysis on Mary Meeker that mobile devices will account for equal 'net surfing by mid 2013 sounds believable. I was just wondering if there was hard data I hadn't seen.
mattlarkin.net
ImageImageImage

marty

Post by marty » February 20th, 2012, 4:15 pm

As a beginner to all this, and at least vaguely related to this forum (I looked, and this was the best place I found), I was wondering about whether print-on-demand services (as Lightning Source) incorporate in any of their packages, ordering and shipping information that come directly from an author’s website that is named after their book title (as for example, “thedoorway.com”). Anyone out there know the answer to this? Thank you. Marty

Edit | Delete | #

marty

Post by marty » February 23rd, 2012, 8:32 pm

Ryan, thanks for the tip; I am beginning the process of setting up a website named after a book (for example, "thedoorway.com") where orders for the book could be received, so I could then manually place, or transfer, such orders into my account with Lightning Source. Any recommendations as to who or what business is good at this, like, especially one that formats to suit, as you suggested? Appreciate it. Marty K.

nielsencl

Post by nielsencl » February 25th, 2012, 9:35 pm

One of my clients has been adding mobile versions of his sites. What he is doing is taking is http://www.domainname.com and putting a mobile site on m.domainname.com. But I REALLY like the idea of having the site detect mobile devices and taking people there automatically.

But I also do worry that "requiring" people to only use the mobile site will not be appreciated. I think I would set it up so that the site "asks" them if they want to see the mobile site which has much less content and functions than the normal site. Then the user can have the option and control of how they use your site(s)

My client IS putting easy to find links at the top of his main sites that offer a way to visit the mobile site.

MattLarkin

Post by MattLarkin » February 26th, 2012, 7:13 am

nielsencl wrote:One of my clients has been adding mobile versions of his sites. What he is doing is taking is http://www.domainname.com and putting a mobile site on m.domainname.com. But I REALLY like the idea of having the site detect mobile devices and taking people there automatically.

But I also do worry that "requiring" people to only use the mobile site will not be appreciated. I think I would set it up so that the site "asks" them if they want to see the mobile site which has much less content and functions than the normal site. Then the user can have the option and control of how they use your site(s)

My client IS putting easy to find links at the top of his main sites that offer a way to visit the mobile site.
Almost all sites that use an auto-redirect also have a link back to the full site.
mattlarkin.net
ImageImageImage

lindsayB3462

Post by lindsayB3462 » September 3rd, 2012, 5:13 am

mobile version websites are essential now a days. Android also made it a revoulution. You can go for oDesk or Freelancer to make a good quality mobile version. Young web developers are very much interested to do this kind of works :)