The Introduction Thread

New member introductions, suggestions for the Forums, questions about posting, and important announcements.
MattLarkin

Re: The Introduction Thread

Post by MattLarkin » February 10th, 2012, 6:56 pm

SteevO wrote:Hello everybody. I'm SteevO, and I've just discovered this great website. I'm from the east coast of Canada, in my mid- 30's, and just getting into writing. I'm just starting my outline for a mystery novel. Ttrying to absorb as many tools as I can, and am extremely overwhelmed but excited to get into it.
Cheers,
SteevO
Hi Steve, welcome to the forums!

If you're looking for tools, a few of us have some favored books on writing. Donald Maass has some great ones, and Self Editing for Fiction Writers is a classic. Let us know if we can do anything else to help.
mattlarkin.net
larkinediting.com - freelance editing for fantasy and science fiction
ImageImageImage

Briana

Post by Briana » February 11th, 2012, 10:43 pm

Hi everyone! After reading as many of Nathan's blog posts as possible over the last couple days, I've decided to go ahead and jump into the forums. My name is Briana and I'm a Texas native in my mid-20s trying to balance life as a wife and mom with the urge to write. :)

Hope you're all doing well!

SteevO

Post by SteevO » February 12th, 2012, 4:06 pm

Thanks for the warm welcomes guys. :) What book or two do you recommend for the beginning writer? I've been borrowing a ton of them from the library, but only found a few to click with me. Any suggestions?
I have stories in me....I just need to learn how to put them on paper! ;)
The best things in life, aren't things at all.....

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » February 13th, 2012, 10:28 am

Welcome to the madhouse, Briana!! :) Hope we can help you find a way to satisfy that urge to write. :)
SteevO wrote:What book or two do you recommend for the beginning writer?
My absolutely favorite is Story Engineering by Larry Brooks. I seriously cannot recommend this book highly enough. It covers so many bases in language and examples that make it really accessible. I wish I'd found this book years ago! Also, you can't go wrong with anything by Donald Maass (just ask Margo). He's brilliant.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

SteevO

Post by SteevO » February 13th, 2012, 1:12 pm

Cool!, I have story engineering coming in a few days, from Amazon. Donald Maass's book "Writing the Breakout Novel," is on hold at the library. Looks like I'm on the right track. :D
Does Margo know Mr. Maass?(ps- how do I pronounce that?)
Cheers,
Steve
The best things in life, aren't things at all.....

trixie

Post by trixie » February 17th, 2012, 10:39 am

Welcome to the madhouse, SteevO and Briana!

*hands out cookies and milk*

SteevO--I know Margo has attended some of Donald Maass' workshops and he has given her some great praise and advice. But I'm not sure if they're "buds"...

nielsencl

Hello, I'm a wannabe writer

Post by nielsencl » February 18th, 2012, 1:22 am

I just joined after reading Nathan's blog posts for a few weeks. I have discovered (Duh!) that most writers have really interesting blogs/sites. After about a year of deciding I should try writing I have made a few half-hearted attempts but I am much better at starting things than finishing them.

Part of my problem is that I am a self-employed Internet Consultant and my time is very limited between work and family. I'm also a moderator at TechSoup.org and own 2 Bengals.

I'm very interested in the idea of self-publishing and see this as an exciting time where technology and power shifts into the hands of those that want to have control over that which they create. But while technology is empowering more people to do things like write, make videos, publish music, etc. it also floods the market and gives us a mind-numbing number of choices. Mostly I think that is good, but it may get to the point where most of us can't sell what we create. Then our only option may be to give it away and make money via related advertising revenue such as Google AdSense.

Anyway, I thought I would say Hi! :-)

Margo

Post by Margo » February 21st, 2012, 11:12 pm

SteevO wrote:Cool!, I have story engineering coming in a few days, from Amazon. Donald Maass's book "Writing the Breakout Novel," is on hold at the library. Looks like I'm on the right track. :D
Does Margo know Mr. Maass?(ps- how do I pronounce that?)
Cheers,
Steve
Eee, it's hard to describe how to pronounce it. Closer to moss than mass. I know him well enough to stalk the poor guy at his workshops. :) I like the WtBN Workbook better than the original book. Check it out when you can.
trixie wrote:But I'm not sure if they're "buds"...
LOL. No. Nice guy, though.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Mira

Re: Hello, I'm a wannabe writer

Post by Mira » February 22nd, 2012, 2:10 pm

nielsencl wrote:I just joined after reading Nathan's blog posts for a few weeks. I have discovered (Duh!) that most writers have really interesting blogs/sites. After about a year of deciding I should try writing I have made a few half-hearted attempts but I am much better at starting things than finishing them.

Part of my problem is that I am a self-employed Internet Consultant and my time is very limited between work and family. I'm also a moderator at TechSoup.org and own 2 Bengals.

I'm very interested in the idea of self-publishing and see this as an exciting time where technology and power shifts into the hands of those that want to have control over that which they create. But while technology is empowering more people to do things like write, make videos, publish music, etc. it also floods the market and gives us a mind-numbing number of choices. Mostly I think that is good, but it may get to the point where most of us can't sell what we create. Then our only option may be to give it away and make money via related advertising revenue such as Google AdSense.

Anyway, I thought I would say Hi! :-)
Hey neilsenci! Welcome. This is a great place for self-publishers to get some information. We have some folks who are having some real success. Poke around and see what you find!

susnacollins

Re: Hello

Post by susnacollins » May 2nd, 2012, 2:41 am

Hi everyone iam new to this forum and happy for joining in this forum.

RichDenoncourt

Post by RichDenoncourt » May 3rd, 2012, 8:57 am

Hi everyone. Glad to be here.

Thought I'd throw the link to my blog out there: selfland.wordpress.com

You'll find funny, cynical posts about writing, self-publishing, and the movies.

Love you all, and be sure to get my collection of dystopian short stories for FREE on Smashwords using the coupon code WS92S. Link below.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/147377

Take care.

Rich
Hi everyone! My urban fantasy TRAINLAND is only $0.99 on Amazon. My collection of dystopian short stories PELTHAM PARK is free on Smashwords using the coupon code WS92S until June 2nd. Go to www.rdenoncourt.com for more info

LadyDamorea

Post by LadyDamorea » May 7th, 2012, 12:06 pm

Hello, everyone. I'm new to this forum but not to writing. I live in a rural area with my family and critters. I mostly write about country life on my blog and fantasy/science fiction. I've also started writing some stories from my childhood. I have a fantasy novel that is complete and its sequel in progress. I think once the sequel is done, they will both get some revisions to make them better.

While in high school, I had several short stories and poems published, then life happened between plans. I came back to writing when I returned to college. I just recently looked into getting published again. The novel is my first, but it won't be my last.

Anyway, that's a bit about me. Nice to meet everyone.

Brightest of Blessings,
Michele

Mira

Post by Mira » May 7th, 2012, 3:03 pm

Nice to meet both of you, Rich and Michelle!

I hope you look around and make yourselves comfortable! :D

Amanda Elizabeth

Post by Amanda Elizabeth » May 22nd, 2012, 1:23 am

Hi everyone. I found Nathan's site while googling what to do next with this massive word document I'm calling a novel. The story is finished...now for the edits and more edits (and who are we kidding, more edits). I'm a bit nervous sharing details of my story on the Internet, so it may take me a while to come around :)

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » May 22nd, 2012, 8:53 am

Welcome Amanda! :-)
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.