How much is 5 pages (really)?

Questions for the resident (former) agent
erilouboston

How much is 5 pages (really)?

Post by erilouboston » December 30th, 2011, 3:04 pm

Hi Nathan -

Going to de-lurk (finally) to ask this question, as I couldn't find it answered anywhere. I'm notoriously awful at search terms though, so that could be a factor...

I'm repeating a question that was posed by Lauren here: http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2010/03 ... etter.html, but I couldn't find a follow-up response.

When sending sample pages, what is 5 pages in actuality? My WIP is single-spaced, but I know a standard MS is double-spaced; so when you send the first 5 pages (or 10, etc.) with your query, are you sending 5 pages of single-spaced (significantly more) or 5 pages of double-spaced (significantly less) text in Word.

I appreciate your help and advice with this, and apologies if it has been answered previously.

CharleeVale

Re: How much is 5 pages (really)?

Post by CharleeVale » December 31st, 2011, 5:23 pm

As far as I know it's five pages, industry standard formatting.

CV

Quill

Post by Quill » December 31st, 2011, 6:09 pm

Double spaced, 1" margins all around, 12 pt font, commonly Times New Roman or Courier, or possibly Ariel.

erilouboston

Post by erilouboston » December 31st, 2011, 8:06 pm

Thanks for the responses - I figured it would be standard MS format if I were to snail-mail the pages, but wasn't sure about email queries where text is copy/pasted under the letter. Apologies, I should have clarified the question as email-specific. My assumption is that it's the same: whatever the word count is for 5 pages in standard MS format, would be the same amount pasted into the email (minus the double spacing).

Thanks - happy new year!

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » January 3rd, 2012, 7:27 pm

erilouboston wrote:...whatever the word count is for 5 pages in standard MS format, would be the same amount pasted into the email (minus the double spacing).

Thanks - happy new year!
Yup! You got it. :)

Congrats on de-lurking! Welcome. Hope to see you around a little more. (We don't bite...usually... ;) )
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

erilouboston

Post by erilouboston » January 3rd, 2012, 8:27 pm

Thanks, Brenda! I really appreciate all the wisdom and advice people have here. I'm so deep in the closet about my writing, I'm finding Caldor bags :) - it's nice to find such a great community.

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » January 4th, 2012, 12:02 am

CharleeVale wrote:As far as I know it's five pages, industry standard formatting.

CV
Yep, five pages, industry standard formatting.

erilouboston

Post by erilouboston » January 4th, 2012, 8:36 am

Thanks, Nathan!