NANOWRIMO~!

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Claudie

Re: NANOWRIMO~!

Post by Claudie » October 19th, 2011, 2:01 pm

I am for the 4th year! So excited about this year, because I'm flying midmonth to Atlanta with a fellow Qc ML to meet fellow Atlanta MLs. It promises to be awesome.
Collectonian wrote:This will be my sixth year of NaNo, my second year as an ML for my region, and hopefully my third win...once I figure out what I want to do. Kind of annoyed at the whole site relaunch just before NaNo 2011, though mostly because they had to launch it without stuff, including the regional email features so freaking out a bit over not being able to email my wrimos :-(
Fellow ML! Whoo. :D Honestly, I decided to take a deep breath and forget the no regional e-mail things. It sucks. I have no other ways of contacting my Wrimos. But, really... they'll come. I am 100% certain they will, old and new ones both, even if I mailed them on the 28th instead of early in the month. If they're crazy enough to take the challenge with 3 weeks of preparation, they're crazy enough to do it with 3 days. Once a Wrimo, always a Wrimo. And I don't know for your region, but my wrimos are the motivated, non-judgemental kind. They'll shrug off the lack of early e-mail, grin and jump into the fray.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

trixie

Post by trixie » October 21st, 2011, 2:49 pm

Yup, I'm in again!

I'm pretty nervous since I'll be out of the country for 9 days during November. But, I think I have a plan. I'm going to write by hand whenever I can and then when I hop online to check email and such, I'll try to type up at least 3-4 pages in a Google Docs so when I come home, I don't have to spend a day or two just typing.

At least, that's my plan. And I'm terrible with sticking to a plan. Oh well. It will be fun!

cheekychook

Post by cheekychook » October 25th, 2011, 10:30 pm

I'm in again this year. Last year was my first NaNo but I made my goal (55k) and that book is currently contracted with a publisher, so I was TOTALLY happy with the whole NaNo experience. This year I'm expecting edits from my editor at some point in November, so that could definitely throw of my word count, but I've got my story in my head and I'm gonna get as much of it out as I can! I'm registered as Cheekychook so look for me if you want to add buddies.
http://www.karenstivali.com

Passionate Plume 1st Place Winner 2012 - ALWAYS YOU
Published with Ellora's Cave, Turquoise Morning Press & Samhain Publishing

Hopeful

Post by Hopeful » October 26th, 2011, 2:24 pm

I'm in! First time for me. I got the idea from CheekyChook, who mentioned she did this last year as a way to take her mind off her inbox during the query process. I could use something to take my mind off that! I am somewhat intrigued by the idea of knocking out an entire ms (100k) in November, but we shall see. My NaNo name is Midwest. Good luck w/ it, everyone!

Beethovenfan

Post by Beethovenfan » October 27th, 2011, 12:03 am

Here's a question. I guess I could look this up but you guys could probably answer it quicker and better anyway. So, when you enter Nanowrimo, do you have to start from scratch? Or, can you be in the middle of a story and just begin where you are and work for the 50,000 words from that point? Thanks in advance!
"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine."
~ Ludwig van Beethoven

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » October 27th, 2011, 2:59 am

Beethovenfan wrote:Here's a question. I guess I could look this up but you guys could probably answer it quicker and better anyway. So, when you enter Nanowrimo, do you have to start from scratch? Or, can you be in the middle of a story and just begin where you are and work for the 50,000 words from that point? Thanks in advance!
That's what I did this Summer (I had a few thousand words) - Do I feel bad about it? No.

CV

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » October 27th, 2011, 7:23 am

NaNo purists believe you have to have a new story for it to count. But there are a lot of people who say it just has to be 50,000 new words. :)
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

Cookie

Post by Cookie » October 27th, 2011, 10:02 am

I'm not starting from scratch this year. There is a story I really want to work on but haven't due to editing, but the story is only a few thousand words so far. So, it's kinda from scratch...

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » October 27th, 2011, 10:27 am

Beethovenfan wrote:Here's a question. I guess I could look this up but you guys could probably answer it quicker and better anyway. So, when you enter Nanowrimo, do you have to start from scratch? Or, can you be in the middle of a story and just begin where you are and work for the 50,000 words from that point? Thanks in advance!
I believe that NaNoWriMo is whatever you make of it and whatever you need it to be. I had a friend who wrote a cookbook for NaNo a couple of years ago.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Sanderling

Post by Sanderling » October 27th, 2011, 1:32 pm

Sommer Leigh wrote:
I believe that NaNoWriMo is whatever you make of it and whatever you need it to be. I had a friend who wrote a cookbook for NaNo a couple of years ago.
That's so cool about the cookbook, Sommer.

I definitely agree. The main point of NaNo is just to motivate you to make progress. The suggested target that NaNo is built on is 50,000 new words starting from scratch... but if you add 50,000 words to an existing project, you're also making awesome progress. Likewise, if you normally only write 500 words a day (15,000 words a month) and you set your own target of 30,000 words for the month... even though it's not the suggested 50k, you're still pushing yourself beyond your usual achievement.

I'm planning on participating. I've got a story that I've written 2000 words of and I'm going to launch from that. A couple of years ago, the last time I participated, I continued from a manuscript I was already 40,000 words into and nearly finished it. As Sommer said, NaNo's whatever you need it to be.
My blog / Twitter
"Because if you have at least a modicum of talent and if you live by these six rules, you will make it."
--Robert J. Sawyer, speaking here of Heinlein's Rules.

Beethovenfan

Post by Beethovenfan » October 27th, 2011, 6:34 pm

Thanks everyone! I was hoping that's how it would be. I need a big motivator to get me moving forward again. I've been working on a story for a while and have about 20,000 words but lately I've only been able to make what I call sideways movement - edits only - no forward progress. So, I think Nano is just the thing to do it. You all have made me a very happy gal! Looking forward to some down and dirty writing! >:)
"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine."
~ Ludwig van Beethoven

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » October 27th, 2011, 10:39 pm

I should be working on my summary and character sheets. Not messing with my avatar since I got an idea for one from watching Futurama while cleaning...
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

Claudie

Post by Claudie » October 28th, 2011, 12:01 pm

Here's what I've heard NaNo Staff say about this:

Rules are, you have to start from scratch. If you're jumping in the middle of a story, you aren't "really" doing NaNoWriMo.

On the other hand, they cannot check what you write. They don't know if your 50k is made of poems, shorts, the middle of a novel or the word potato x 50,000. And they don't care. They're so welcoming of "rebels" that they set up a whole chunk of forums just for them.

As a ML I stick to the rules and start from scratch every year (sometimes rewriting). I also encourage any regional Wrimos who asks this question to do whatever the heck they want, as long as they write new material and enjoy themselves. As Sommer said, "NaNoWriMo is whatever you make of it and whatever you need it to be."
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla