I suck at autographing.

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Ryan

I suck at autographing.

Post by Ryan » October 5th, 2011, 12:00 pm

Wasn't exactly sure where to post this subject...

I've been having to actually "write" with a pen and it's a little embarrassing. I knew it would feel a little weird autographing something besides checks and documents but I had no idea my actual motor skills associated with handwriting had deteriorated so badly. Half-cursive, half-printing, and mostly lowercase with random capitals...welcome to the messages in my books.

Besides for the actual act of writing, I'm also having trouble at times deciding what to write, especially if the person is there with me. Pressure!

A buddy razzed me last week as I stared at my book with pen in hand.
"Dude! You wrote a whole f%$@$ book and you can't write a few lines to a friend!"

Most of the books I've autographed have been for friends and family. Those messages are relatively easy, but a few friends of friends, internet friends, and a handful of strangers have also been nice enough to order an autographed copy. In an effort to connect with readers, I have a place in my PAYPAL order form to leave a little message. Writing something personal in response to their message isn't as easy as it sounds.

A friend bought me an Erasermate but that just made the first page of the book look like a textured rubbed out mess. Hard to believe erasable ink hasn't been upgraded since 1980. Here's some random stuff on the Erasermate that you by no means need to know...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erasermate

So for all you authors ready to release a book, I'd suggest honing your handwriting so you rip out beautiful messages to all your fans instead of the debauchery I've been sending out.

Also, start thinking of some "Go-To" lines.
Here's one I've been using.

For all our loved ones
Past, present, and future
Furry and non-furry...

Cheers,
Ryan
My love of fly fishing and surfing connects me to rivers and the ocean. Time with water reminds me to pursue those silly little streams of thought that run rampant in my head.
http://www.withoutrain.com/

CharleeVale

Re: I suck at autographing.

Post by CharleeVale » October 5th, 2011, 12:15 pm

I haven't been published yet, and I feel like I'l commiserate with you if it ever happens, but I thought of someone you could probably relate to.

John Green (YA Author) Offered to sign the entire first printing of his book so that everyone who pre-ordered the book would be able to get a signed copy. Turns out due to a series of happy, and AWESOME, accidents, the first printing is 150,000 copies. Details here.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f9Rkdg7 ... embedded#!

He signs a lot of books. I think it's 2,000 a day. He's actually had to go to occupational therapy because it became a repeat stress injury!

CV

Ryan

Post by Ryan » October 5th, 2011, 3:01 pm

the first printing is 150,000 copies
Hah!

I've started with 108(auspicious number I know) Paperbacks and 50 Hardcovers. About halfway through.

I'm actually pretty pleased with the meager sales as I haven't had time to do much in the way of getting the "word" out. I'm waiting to release the multimedia version before I really go full bore on the marketing. It'd be cool if there was a way to have E-versions of the books sent to me first so I can do a virtual signing.

I'm starting to take pictures of each signing I do so I can laugh at the mess later.
My love of fly fishing and surfing connects me to rivers and the ocean. Time with water reminds me to pursue those silly little streams of thought that run rampant in my head.

GingerWrite

Post by GingerWrite » October 5th, 2011, 11:12 pm

For all our loved ones
Past, present, and future
Furry and non-furry...
This just made my night, so thank you. I think I'm going to drive home and give my hyperactive pomeranian a hug :)
"The more you read, the more you know. The more you know, the more you grow." - Dr. Suess
Worlds can grow and crumble beneath a writer's pen. We just need to find the right one.
http://startingonthewritepage.blogspot.com/ :)

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » October 18th, 2011, 11:19 am

I think if I ever get to the point of signing...I'll just ask, "Alrighty, who's your favorite character in the book?"

And sign as if they were signing. I have a multitude of signatures.

Edit: I should add I'm that kid that used to forge things in school. XD
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » October 18th, 2011, 12:53 pm

sierramcconnell wrote:I think if I ever get to the point of signing...I'll just ask, "Alrighty, who's your favorite character in the book?"

That is an amazing idea. I'd never have dreamed of doing something like that. Wow! Coolness.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Ryan

Post by Ryan » October 19th, 2011, 12:51 am

sierramcconnell wrote:I think if I ever get to the point of signing...I'll just ask, "Alrighty, who's your favorite character in the book?"

That is an amazing idea. I'd never have dreamed of doing something like that. Wow! Coolness.
Do any other authors do that? That's a great idea. One of these days when I brave more fiction I will keep that in mind. I think it would show how well you understand your characters.

I tried forging a homework notice in 6th grade and got busted. Suck at forging too.

Lubin' up with a margarita right now before I tackle autographing a few books.

A few is better than nothing. :)