The Introduction Thread

New member introductions, suggestions for the Forums, questions about posting, and important announcements.
Paul O'Brien

Re: Hello All.

Post by Paul O'Brien » September 8th, 2011, 4:00 pm

BTW, I just rewrote my last post twice. It's never ending.

BookFormatterJen

Re: The Introduction Thread

Post by BookFormatterJen » September 24th, 2011, 11:43 pm

Hello, I am also new here. I am not an author but would like to help authors about the formatting/layout of their manuscript into a book format.
Affordable book formatting service using Lulu, CreateSpace, Lightning Source and Smashwords standards
http://www.thefastfingers.com
Email: jeny@thefastfingers.com
Text me: +639295459363

SBMartin

Post by SBMartin » September 26th, 2011, 3:15 am

Hi All,

My name is Shirley and I've been writing for a while. I was looking for online writing groups to join and I came across this blog and forum. It seems like a really great community so I thought I would join up. I'm currently working on a horror novel and a humorous fantasy novel for kids. I hope everyone is doing great. :)

Rachel Ventura

Post by Rachel Ventura » September 30th, 2011, 1:44 am

Hi, I'm Rachel. (Now everyone in a collective Bransford Anonymous reply go, "HI RACHEL.") :D I'll try and keep this brief; brevity is not one of my strong points, which is why I'd probably get b& from Twitter. (I admit to being a lurker on the various Chansites, though.) I read Mr. Bransford's blog a lot, and from time to time throw in a comment or two (as one of the many Anonymous -- "we are legion.") I just recently graduated HS last year, and have decided to hold off (indefinitely) on college after the fact. I don't think I'd be a good fit, especially for those MFA programs that are a LOT of hard work (WAY too much for me). I don't really like the stuff they call literary fiction anyway, which is what I'd have to write. I'm currently in the "planning stages" of writing a YA novel of my own, but I don't really have any friends IRL to bounce the idea(s) off of, and none on FB or Twitter or stuff either (because I'm so shy and got bullied a lot as a kid -- and don't want to get bullied all over the Internet either).

Which is another reason I'm here: From browsing through the blog I've read lots of info about what writers have to do to be active on social media sites, something called "platform." To be honest, that whole thing really scares me, because I really feel I'd be doing the FB and Twitter thing alone. I basically spend a lot of time indoors (lol, not like Sean Connery on SNL!), and I don't have my license yet, so I don't have too many resources otherwise to get feedback or go out and be at regular "offline" meet-ups. It's not that I'm a bad person or anything; I'm just really shy and all,* never really had the courage or the chance to build up real-world relationships, and find it easier to focus on what it is I want to be doing creatively because I'm not out partying or at work or shopping or at concerts and all.* I'd like someone to give me a walk-through on this social media stuff at least, because for the most part, when it comes to creating the "content" or the "brand" or the "ROI" and all* (I hate those stupid social-media expert blogs that have a whole vocabulary of their own!), it's got to come from me.

So I'm not only looking for feedback on the creative stuff but also a LOT of help with this platform and all.* I hope I'm light-hearted and snarky or at least clever enough to be a Bransfriend too. Btw, I hope Mr. Bransford knows that his surname is going to end up a brand too, with all the creative reworkings that can be applied, just like Hulkamaniacs and ObamaMamas and even (*cough* *hack* *vomit uncontrollably*) the Daydream Beliebers...and all.*

*Bonus points if you know what classic "YA" character talks this way. Hint: His creator wasn't a fan of social networking either but would rather be a recluse than a "phony." 8-)

MattLarkin

Post by MattLarkin » September 30th, 2011, 6:59 am

Rachel Ventura wrote:Hi, I'm Rachel. (Now everyone in a collective Bransford Anonymous reply go, "HI RACHEL.")
HI RACHEL.
mattlarkin.net
larkinediting.com - freelance editing for fantasy and science fiction
ImageImageImage

Rachel Ventura

Post by Rachel Ventura » October 2nd, 2011, 5:13 pm

MattLarkin wrote:
Rachel Ventura wrote:Hi, I'm Rachel. (Now everyone in a collective Bransford Anonymous reply go, "HI RACHEL.")
HI RACHEL.
Lol, thanks Matt. I didn't think anyone would actually do it! :D

Anyone want to claim the bonus points for identifying who's famous for saying "and all" so much? ;)

Johnny99

Post by Johnny99 » October 4th, 2011, 11:38 am

hi i am Johnny from Canada Nice 2 meet all you here

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » October 6th, 2011, 5:23 pm

Johnny99 wrote:hi i am Johnny from Canada Nice 2 meet all you here
Welcome Johnny !
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

washingtonwriter1968

Post by washingtonwriter1968 » October 11th, 2011, 1:23 am

Wow been off for a while and there are lots of newbeess.... Now everyone line up and tell us how tall you are :lol: If you do not understand why... go back on this thread a little LOL!!!!

No seriously it nice to see you all coming in. My handle says it all I am a middle aged female, who Lives in Washington state. This place is a really nice place to come... I have been here for a few months and have really gown to appreciate this online community and my writing has greatly improved just by being here. If there is a question... it seems someone always has the answer!

So let me try to remember you all and say Hi officially....

Hi Rachel and welcome!
Hi Shirley(fellow horror writer YA here)
Hi Paul O'Brien

WELCOME!
Washington Writer
Thx 4 your time
http://washington1968.livejournal.com/

Plebeian

Plebeian says hello!

Post by Plebeian » October 25th, 2011, 3:23 pm

So, I have been a lurker at Bransford forum for quite a long while. Ok, I will quantify quite a long while -- 54 days. Five days after I started writing my novel. The genre is "Campus novel" (You can also call it adult/mainstream, although, and pardon my audacity, but I do think it is literary at places. But, let's call it mainstream campus novel for now). It is a character driven multiple point of view novel, and I was refraining from registering myself on the forum till I had given myself the first draft. As it stands, four hours back, I pelted the final words of the first draft. A shade more than 85,00 words. I know it is a long way to go, but I can enjoy for a day at least.

I had started my first novel at the age of 14, and for the next 9 years, I have abandoned writing two novels mid way. All of them fizzled out after 2-3 chapters. Even while writing this novel, I was disillusioned many a times, but thanks to you guys, I kept trundling. Special thanks to those who shared their disappointments and frustrations, it made me believe I was not the only one. You guys are special for sticking it out for so long for something you are passionate about. And that is by no account insignificant. (I apologize if I sound patronizing).

I am from India (although I have obtained my undergraduate degree from US, and have been working here since last 8 months), and hence would be looking to target the Indian publishing market. Agents in my country are not compulsory for getting published (publishing houses accept unsolicited manuscripts too), but I would still try to procure an agent as I have heard it makes one's life easy.

Hope to be a regular. Cheers!
"Finally I wrote the book not because I thought someone else would care. I wrote it because I cared." - Amitabha Bagchi.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » October 27th, 2011, 2:08 pm

Welcome, newest Bransforumers! We're happy to have you. :)
Plebeian wrote:Special thanks to those who shared their disappointments and frustrations, it made me believe I was not the only one. You guys are special for sticking it out for so long for something you are passionate about. And that is by no account insignificant. (I apologize if I sound patronizing).
This is really sweet. I have to admit that I was loathe to start sharing around here at first - I mean, my mistakes were so pedestrian, so basic, that geez, how can I even compare to these forum people? But then I realized that we all make n00b mistakes, we all doubt ourselves, and we all feel like we're stupid/insane/hopeless for pursuing this. That's the best part of this forum. Knowing you aren't alone in those feelings, commiserating with your fellow writers (who understand in a way our non-writer friends and family never can) and getting encouragement from them. That's what the Bransforums are all about!

I look forward to see y'all around the forums!!
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » October 27th, 2011, 6:06 pm

dios4vida wrote:Welcome, newest Bransforumers! We're happy to have you. :)
Plebeian wrote:Special thanks to those who shared their disappointments and frustrations, it made me believe I was not the only one. You guys are special for sticking it out for so long for something you are passionate about. And that is by no account insignificant. (I apologize if I sound patronizing).
This is really sweet. I have to admit that I was loathe to start sharing around here at first - I mean, my mistakes were so pedestrian, so basic, that geez, how can I even compare to these forum people? But then I realized that we all make n00b mistakes, we all doubt ourselves, and we all feel like we're stupid/insane/hopeless for pursuing this. That's the best part of this forum. Knowing you aren't alone in those feelings, commiserating with your fellow writers (who understand in a way our non-writer friends and family never can) and getting encouragement from them. That's what the Bransforums are all about!

I look forward to see y'all around the forums!!
This! This this this this! I remember starting here thinking the exact same thing. I was so green I didn't think I deserved to participate yet. Then I met Margo and Mira and the rest of the crew and realized everyone else was as crazy and silly and hopeful as I felt. We're for everyone.

Glad you are here and I hope you never feel like you can't or shouldn't participate! All opinions and questions are welcome here, especially the crazy ones!!!
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Rachel Ventura

Post by Rachel Ventura » October 28th, 2011, 11:45 pm

washingtonwriter1968 wrote:Wow been off for a while and there are lots of newbeess.... Now everyone line up and tell us how tall you are :lol: If you do not understand why... go back on this thread a little LOL!!!!
Hi, Washington Writer:

I'm under six feet, but not six feet under. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ella

Post by Ella » November 16th, 2011, 8:18 am

Hey all. My name is Ella. I recently moved to England from the states. I've been writing NF articles on and off for many years now, but have ventured into children's lit and fiction just this past year. I've been following Nathan's blog for months now, but decided it was time to take the plunge and hang out at the forums. I tend to write short -- all my completed pieces this year have been under 2.000 (and most under 500) words -- so one of my goals for the next year is to flex my writing muscles and start writing book-length products.

Anyway, excited to be here...

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » November 17th, 2011, 12:16 pm

Hey, Ella! Welcome to the nuthouse...err...Bransforums! We promise not to bite. :)

Happy to have you around!
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson