The Bransforumsfest Writing Workshop Brainstorm

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
dios4vida

Re: The Bransforumsfest Writing Workshop Brainstorm

Post by dios4vida » August 30th, 2011, 1:17 pm

Hey folks, I figured it was about time for a round-up of our possible subjects and volunteers to lead said sessions. More ideas and more volunteers are totally welcome!! So, without further ado, here's what we have so far:

Meet ‘n’ Greet (*highly requested)
Introduction of ourselves & genre
Claudie - icebreakers
dios4vida - Whose Bookshelf is This?

Story

Character Development (*highly requested)
Claudie

Dialogue (*highly requested)
Margo’s Maass exercise (rewriting and merging dialogue)

Prose/Description
Margo’s Maass exercise (character voice in description)

Revisions/Editing
Nicole’s PR/crit group experience

Social Networking

Writer Tools and Technology
Sommer

Insecurities Roundtable (*highly requested)
Everyone

Book Share Roundtable
Everyone

Critique Groups (*highly requested)

Query Workshops (encompassing tag lines, elevator pitches, etc.)

Mythology
Margo
Cookie

Self-Publishing
Margo

We also have random exercises (dios4vida, Sommer) to place into the line-up, possibly as warm-ups.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Margo

Post by Margo » August 30th, 2011, 1:39 pm

dios4vida wrote:We also have random exercises (dios4vida, Sommer) to place into the line-up, possibly as warm-ups.

Yes, please! I'm seriously distressed at being the only one with my name coming up that many times. Would rather not make this The Margo Variety Show.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » August 30th, 2011, 2:07 pm

Margo wrote:
dios4vida wrote:We also have random exercises (dios4vida, Sommer) to place into the line-up, possibly as warm-ups.

Yes, please! I'm seriously distressed at being the only one with my name coming up that many times. Would rather not make this The Margo Variety Show.
I definitely agree. If there is anyone who can take over a spot or three for Margo, please speak up!!

Also, if there's something you can teach me and I lead as a proxy for you, just let me know or direct me to the materials. I'll take over a topic for you if you'd like.

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Margo

Post by Margo » August 30th, 2011, 2:20 pm

I bet Cookie could handle mythology without my interference.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Claudie

Post by Claudie » August 30th, 2011, 2:27 pm

Margo wrote:I bet Cookie could handle mythology without my interference.
I vote Cookie for mythology! :D

-- Seeking other topics to cover with her meagre knowledge of the craft.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » August 30th, 2011, 2:37 pm

It sucks being awesome at things Margo! :-)

I really want you to walk us through the Maass exercises.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Margo

Post by Margo » August 30th, 2011, 2:38 pm

Sommer Leigh wrote:It sucks being awesome at things Margo! :-)

I really want you to walk us through the Maass exercises.
You notice I didn't volunteer to give anything else up. ;)

Nicole R

Post by Nicole R » August 30th, 2011, 9:42 pm

Hi guys,

Checkin' back in after un-burying myself from work stuff for the past several days. I'm so excited to see how things have morphed - the list is looking great! :D

I'll start pulling some stuff together for the editing/revising session. Do any of you have specific questions or areas you want to focus on?

Claudie

Post by Claudie » August 31st, 2011, 12:57 am

Nicole R wrote:I'll start pulling some stuff together for the editing/revising session. Do any of you have specific questions or areas you want to focus on?
I don't know about others, but I'd love exercises focusing more on line-edits or scene-by-scene edits. This is just me, but I'm more experienced with novel-scales revisions and less with things that go on a small scale. So, of course, I'd love to learn the small-scale and practice it with you bright people. I also think this is more likely to be useful to everyone -- in the sense that not everyone will have WIPs in need of major restructuring.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » August 31st, 2011, 12:09 pm

Claudie wrote:
Nicole R wrote:I'll start pulling some stuff together for the editing/revising session. Do any of you have specific questions or areas you want to focus on?
I don't know about others, but I'd love exercises focusing more on line-edits or scene-by-scene edits. This is just me, but I'm more experienced with novel-scales revisions and less with things that go on a small scale. So, of course, I'd love to learn the small-scale and practice it with you bright people. I also think this is more likely to be useful to everyone -- in the sense that not everyone will have WIPs in need of major restructuring.
This is amusing, because I rock at line-by-line edits. I'm the annoying person who also points out typos and grammatical errors in everyday items like billboards and menus. Scene-by-scene, not quite as good. Big-picture edits? No way. I muddle my way through it (like I am right now) but it's a lot of "YAY! This is great!" ... "Man, this sucks." ... "OOH! Figured it out!" (<-- that's this morning) ... "I'll never get this manuscript worth reading." (<-- did that one on Monday night.) I'd love to learn some new tricks for the small stuff, but I really need help with big-picture revisions.

MattLarkin

Post by MattLarkin » August 31st, 2011, 1:14 pm

dios4vida wrote:
Claudie wrote:
This is amusing, because I rock at line-by-line edits. I'm the annoying person who also points out typos and grammatical errors in everyday items like billboards and menus. Scene-by-scene, not quite as good. Big-picture edits? No way. I muddle my way through it (like I am right now) but it's a lot of "YAY! This is great!" ... "Man, this sucks." ... "OOH! Figured it out!" (<-- that's this morning) ... "I'll never get this manuscript worth reading." (<-- did that one on Monday night.) I'd love to learn some new tricks for the small stuff, but I really need help with big-picture revisions.
How much rocking are we talking? Enough to pass for a pro line-editor? I may, within a couple of months, be at the stage of looking for a line editor for MOONRISE, depending on how much revising I need after the editorial review on big picture stuff.
mattlarkin.net
larkinediting.com - freelance editing for fantasy and science fiction
ImageImageImage

Nicole R

Post by Nicole R » August 31st, 2011, 1:29 pm

Thanks for the insights - super helpful! I'll bring a mix of stuff, but it sounds like a little more emphasis on scene-by-scene advice and how to make everything hang together (and make sense).

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » August 31st, 2011, 1:36 pm

MattLarkin wrote:How much rocking are we talking? Enough to pass for a pro line-editor? I may, within a couple of months, be at the stage of looking for a line editor for MOONRISE, depending on how much revising I need after the editorial review on big picture stuff.
I'm not at a pro line-editor level, but I'm darn good at finding typos and grammatical errors. I'd be willing to study up a bit if you wanted a free, albeit amateur, line-edit. PM me if you'd like to talk about it.

Cookie

Post by Cookie » August 31st, 2011, 2:45 pm

Claudie wrote:

Gah! I don't know if I can do it alone! Maybe I can. I'll have to brush up on a few, but I've got plenty of time. Anyone else want to jump on board with me?

MattLarkin

Post by MattLarkin » August 31st, 2011, 2:50 pm

Cookie wrote:
Claudie wrote:

Gah! I don't know if I can do it alone! Maybe I can. I'll have to brush up on a few, but I've got plenty of time. Anyone else want to jump on board with me?
I'm real big on mythology, but I'm can't commit to being at the Workshop yet. I just don't know how things are going to be looking for getting my wife's visa at that time.
mattlarkin.net
larkinediting.com - freelance editing for fantasy and science fiction
ImageImageImage