WIP Playlist share

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Cookie

Re: WIP Playlist share

Post by Cookie » August 14th, 2011, 8:41 am

Since my sci-fi has hijacked my brain, I'll share that playlist. I actually did create a playlist for this book because there were songs in my writing playlist that just didn't fit the mood.

The book is set in the far future and it is tentatively titled The Amari.

1. 21 Guns by Greenday

2. Peacemaker by Greenday

3. Brick by Boring Brick by Paramore

4. Edge of the Earth by 30 Seconds to Mars

5. Only Girl in the World by Rihanna

6. Kiss With a Fist by Florence and the Machine

7. Uprising by Muse

8. Knights of Cydonia by Muse

9. No More Sorrow by Linkin Park

10. Glass to the Arson by Anberlin

11. The Feel Good Drag by Anberlin

12. Viva La Gloria by Greenday

13. Little Things Give You Away by Linkin Park

14. Taper Jean Girl by Kings of Leon

15. Sunday Morning by No Doubt

16. Closer to the Edge by 30 Seconds to Mars

17. From Yesterday by 30 Seconds to Mars

18. Misery Loves Company by The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus

19. Playing God by Paramore

20. Map of the Problematique by Muse

21. Stockholm Syndrome by Muse

You can kinda see a theme here, can't you?

bcomet

Post by bcomet » August 14th, 2011, 5:02 pm

I love this thread. I have three novels with music, two of which the characters write, but one, VAMPIRE HOUSE, which has its own playlist from existing music and, is included in the novel as an addendum.

Here it is:

Playlist:

(Opening scene, three giggling school girls on a train)
Aretha Franklin: Chain of Fools (with “train” sung in place of “chain”)

Tracy Chapman: Would You Change?

J.J. Cole : Changes

Seu Jorge: Changes (French Version)

(First trip to the shore past the vampires on the train as they pass.)
Barenaked Ladies: You Run Away

(Mustard Volvo)

(Mustard Volvo):
Barenaked Ladies: Pinch

(Dance Studio at The Shore):

(First ride in the Black Egg):
Alain Deneuville: Petite fleur du mal

(Panic Train Ride Back)
Jim Brickman: In a Lover’s Eyes

Yo-Yo Ma: Rachmaninoff
Williams American Collection

Hall and Oates: So Close

Joy Drop: Spiders

Norah Jones: Turn Me On

VAMPIRE HOUSE:
(Crocuses)
Jim Brickman: Sudden Inspiration

(Dance in Rich Black Soil)
The Youngbloods: Darkness, Darkness

(The Feast Hall)
Afrika Bambaataa: Meet Me At The Party

(Endless Green Pasture)
John Prine: (Lost Dogs and Mixed Blessings Album):
Same Thing Happened To Me

(In Alain’s Dream)
John Prine: (Lost Dogs and Mixed Blessings Album):
All The Way With You

(Train Wreck through scene in New York/Hospital, looking out the hospital window at rain)
Sarah Brightman: Let It Rain

(For ending scene (segue from train to at the beach house)- not in book but how I imagine them at the shore, everyone together new again as if it were a movie, on the beach, teaching Amelia how to drive, fun with temporary tattoos…)
Rickie Lee Jones: Chuck-e’s in Love

Claudie

Post by Claudie » August 14th, 2011, 5:34 pm

I am developping a love-hate relationship with this thread. Love because it is awesome. Hate because I know my playlist is composed entirely of Awesome Quebecker Group Nobody Heard Of.

But, well, whatever! Here's a sample of those I'll hit repeat with. Yeah, I write with one tune at repeat until I no longer pay attention to it, but only get taken by the mood and beat.

1. Vertige, Karkwa <---- I have about 1500 hits on iTunes for this one. It is the writing song for me.
2. The Cave, Mumford & Sons
3. Bullets, Tunng
4. L'acouphène, Karkwa
5. Freaky, Bobby Bazini
6. Dust Bowl Dance, Mumford & Sons (and this one fits so much with one of my WIP's character)
7. The Islander, The Navigators
8. La Piqûre, Karkwa
9. Turn me On, Bobby Bazini
10. Le Déni de l'Évidence, Mes Aieux

11. Criminal Mind, Gowan (for a very specific character, this is perfect)
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Chantelle.S.

Post by Chantelle.S. » August 16th, 2011, 12:42 am

3OH!3 ft Katy Perry - Starstrukk
Linkin Park - New Divide
Katy Perry - E.T
Lifehouse - Broken
Skillet - Whispers in the dark
Adele - Rolling in the deep

So far that's my 'muse' playlist. It's not specifically aimed at one or the other WIP, it's just a list of songs that inexplicably make me WANT to sit down and WRITE.
"Description begins in the writer’s imagination, but should finish in the reader’s." -Stephen King

http://smithee24.blogspot.com/
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1570694/Clairavance

JohnDurvin

Post by JohnDurvin » August 17th, 2011, 1:24 am

I don't know about everybody else, but my writing can't just go with whatever music I happen to like; the genres aren't always compatible. (This might be related to how I like way too broad a range of music and write in multiple genres.) My cyberpunk parody WIP about people getting so wrapped up in their "super-genius" smart phones society starts psychologically regressing to childhood was fueled by the new Devo album, Billy Idol's awful attempts at industrial on his album "Cyberpunk", and a few bits of British electro.
But now that's on pause while I write a fantasy novel (or possibly YA series) based on American folklore, and that demands an entirely different soundtrack. I won't bore everybody with details, but I've been downloading music from the University of California's collection of wax cylinder recordings (from no later than 1920), I got the complete works of Robert Johnson earlier today, and most of all, Tom Waits. "Starving in the Belly of a Whale" is actually very apropos--"don't take my word, just look skyward, they that dance must pay the fiddler".
If things wind up going the cosmic-horror-direction that I think the Coal Fire King might take things, I might have to write some old-fashioned bluegrass spirituals for the cults. Fun!
Everybody loves using things as other things, right? Check out my blog at the Cromulent Bricoleur and see one hipster's approach to recycling, upcycling, and alterna-cycling (which is a word I just made up).

Cookie

Post by Cookie » August 17th, 2011, 10:03 am

John-- my playlist definitly depends on what I am writing. It even changes from scene to scene. For instance, if I'm writing a battle scene, it would be no good to listen to a sappy love song, and vice versa.

MattLarkin

Post by MattLarkin » August 17th, 2011, 12:46 pm

Cookie wrote:John-- my playlist definitly depends on what I am writing. It even changes from scene to scene. For instance, if I'm writing a battle scene, it would be no good to listen to a sappy love song, and vice versa.
I agree. Though sometimes I get so deep into the writing I don't hear the song at all, and look at my iTunes list to see five or six songs have passed I don't remember going by.
mattlarkin.net
larkinediting.com - freelance editing for fantasy and science fiction
ImageImageImage

Writecastlesinthesky

Post by Writecastlesinthesky » August 18th, 2011, 9:54 am

Charlee, you started off this thread so I have to say...movie scores. Yum! In particular Piano scores. I cannot think of a better mood setter than Desplat, subtle, supple, lovely.

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » August 18th, 2011, 2:57 pm

Writecastlesinthesky wrote:Charlee, you started off this thread so I have to say...movie scores. Yum! In particular Piano scores. I cannot think of a better mood setter than Desplat, subtle, supple, lovely.
Alexandre Desplat is one of my favorite composers. I can't tell you how many times I'll be watching a movie, and say 'wow, I love that' and it will be his work. So his stuff helps me a lot.

But I have to say that right now, my absolutely MUST listen to writing song is one of the last ones on my list. "Illunimated" by the UK band Hurts. Im so addicted it's not even funny.

I've also been adding some Deadamu5 to my playlists in the past few days as well.

CV