Author / Book Marketing

News, trends, and the future of publishing
Rick

Author / Book Marketing

Post by Rick » December 8th, 2009, 1:15 pm

I thought it might be good to have a marketing thread, since most of us here hope to sell books. To kick it off, here's a link to a guest blog post I did today for Tony Eldridge's Marketing Tips for Authors Blog:

http://blog.marketingtipsforauthors.com ... eting.html

Feel free to leave comments there and to explore the wealth of author marketing tips Tony has available on his site.

Mahalo,

Rick

Mira

Re: Author / Book Marketing

Post by Mira » December 8th, 2009, 2:16 pm

I don't know how Nathan feels about it.....so, I'm saying this rather tenatively, but I think a marketing thread could be a good idea.

Good luck, Rick!

Rick

Post by Rick » December 8th, 2009, 2:22 pm

Thanks a lot, Mira.

lovelylj

Post by lovelylj » December 8th, 2009, 3:52 pm

I think the marketing thread is a good idea too.

Book Fairs/Festivals

Twitter

Facebook

Amazon
-I know people say duh, of course amazon, but I don't think people take advantage of the author's blogs and the connection that amazon offers between the readers and writers.

Ning sites
- not so much for marketing but for advice on other marketing tips and so forth crimespace.ning.com and booktown.ning.com are good ones

Myspace

Web sites
-If you have a web site and you cannot get your site up there on the google's list look up what meta tags are (I know they used to be really effective but I'm sure there's something else that the big compaines use to get it up there) but meta tags help
-And for good measure find a way to change the title of your web page, often times I see author's pages entitled "Title" Search engines read that if it's not Mary's Best Book Ever and I search for Mary's Besst Book Ever it's less likely to come up as number one

Get A Blog
Blog about anything related to your craft so people can get used to you and that can be a tool to get them to buy your book. We go to Nathan's blog and learn all sorts of things, maybe someone will like your blog learn things and want to buy your book.

The point everything mentioned above is exposure. Legal exposure that is.
Lauren A. Johnson
http://www.laurenjohnson.me