Books and Movies Based on Them

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
beacon22

Re: Books and Movies Based on Them

Post by beacon22 » January 27th, 2010, 9:47 pm

Kelly...

I do the same thing...the problem was I took too long reading The Time Traveler's Wife and now I have to wait for it to come out on DVD! Dang it all!
Come on over to my blog and lurk a little!

http://www.freckle-head.blogspot.com

Holly

Re: Books and Movies Based on Them

Post by Holly » January 27th, 2010, 11:13 pm

beacon22 wrote:Has any one seen The Lovely Bones yet? I went yesteday, and while I was excited to see how the book could translate into a movie, it didn't do the book justice. However, I don't think you ever could because it's the writing that makes that book so good. My boyfriend thought I was nuts after watching the movie for liking the book, but I think Sebold's talent is in her language....how else can you make the story of the murder of a 14 year old girl sound beautiful?
I saw The Lovely Bones tonight... I wasn't going to see it because the reviews said it was too sentimental, but a friend didn't want to go alone, so I went.

I agree with you about Sebold's language. The movie can't compare to the intelligent, magnificient, brutal book. However, the movie wasn't as bad as the reviewers made it out to be... I thought it was pretty good (way, way, way better than Sherlock Holmes).