Google+

Blogs, Facebook, Twitter, and promoting your book on the Internet
Leila

Re: Google+

Post by Leila » July 20th, 2011, 2:12 pm

I really like it!!

I just hopped over to Nathan's page and it looks great. I love the idea of circles, hangouts, all of it really. It really does have instant appeal. I tried to join up but I got the 'leave your email address and we'll keep you posted' message. Oh well, hopefully soon they'll open it up again and I can join up!

Thanks for sharing, Nathan, I can't wait to participate!

Writecastlesinthesky

Post by Writecastlesinthesky » July 25th, 2011, 8:39 am

Only with a gmail address for sure? or just a hunch? My jury is still out on Google+ My private life is offline so the facebook privacy problems...it hasn't bothered me as much for whatever reason. But I was on facebook when it was still for college students and the entire world changed. Whatever Google is doing its not nearly as interesting to me because they've started it to make money. Originally networking was just for college kids and life was simple. Eh, simpler...as far as such things ever go. I'm sure I'll eventually come around, or have it forced upon me.

lmjackson

Post by lmjackson » July 25th, 2011, 8:40 pm

I feel like everyone's opinion of G+ thus far can be summed up with the following picture: http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/googleplus.png

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Google and G+ is neat, but so far it's really just a Facebook-but-not-quite. Google has filled in some neat gaps (such as posting status updates to specified Circles) that Facebook never got finessed enough to try. It's nice to have social networking minus the annoying spam and ads that have become a regular part of Facebook life. There's also plenty of people who I am friends with on FB that I no longer care about but am too lazy to delete, so G+ for me is like starting "fresh".
Junior student studying at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.
Loves reading, writing, photography, dance, and long walks on the beach :P

Claudie

Post by Claudie » July 25th, 2011, 11:24 pm

lmjackson wrote:I feel like everyone's opinion of G+ thus far can be summed up with the following picture: http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/googleplus.png
Just one more reason for me to love xkcd. That comic strip is hilarious (and dead-on).

While I agree that Google+ so far is a lot like facebook in cleaner (no spam, less cluttered homepage, etc.) and with the circles (hurray!), I think they'll improve and add to it with time. With what, I don't know, but chances are that with time, it'll be less and less facebook-but-not-quite.

One thing's certain: Google+ is the perfect answer for people like me, who live half their lives with one language and the other half in another. I hope it catches on in Quebec too, and my French social circles move onto it. :)
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Collectonian

Post by Collectonian » July 26th, 2011, 12:14 am

lmjackson wrote:Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Google and G+ is neat, but so far it's really just a Facebook-but-not-quite. Google has filled in some neat gaps (such as posting status updates to specified Circles) that Facebook never got finessed enough to try.
I saw something like that mentioned in a review, and I'll admit I don't get it. How is that any different from having Facebook posts filtered to specific people or friend lists? Seems the same thing to me, and something I do all the time?

lmjackson

Post by lmjackson » July 26th, 2011, 2:25 pm

Collectonian wrote:
lmjackson wrote:Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Google and G+ is neat, but so far it's really just a Facebook-but-not-quite. Google has filled in some neat gaps (such as posting status updates to specified Circles) that Facebook never got finessed enough to try.
I saw something like that mentioned in a review, and I'll admit I don't get it. How is that any different from having Facebook posts filtered to specific people or friend lists? Seems the same thing to me, and something I do all the time?
On Facebook can you post a status aimed at multiple friend lists? With G+ you have the option to post a status to say "Close friends", "Coworkers" and "Family", or "Coworkers" and "Friends" for example.

And again, I'll cry the laziness factor. I'm not going to take the time to go back and put all 600+ friends into little lists lol.

Collectonian

Post by Collectonian » July 26th, 2011, 3:20 pm

Yep, I do it all the time. You can post to friend lists, a mix of specified friends and lists, networks, etc. Been a feature for probably a year, maybe longer.

If you have that many friends, I guess it would be easier to group people on add than retroactively go do it, though how many folks would you really want in the "family" or "close friends" group out of 600? :-P

Claudie

Post by Claudie » July 26th, 2011, 9:52 pm

Collectonian wrote:Yep, I do it all the time. You can post to friend lists, a mix of specified friends and lists, networks, etc. Been a feature for probably a year, maybe longer.
I've just gone back to facebook and looked all over for this. I couldn't find it, except perhaps the group things. This is making me think that even if the feature is there (and it must be, if you've been using it), it's not exactly obviously displayed, or it'd be widespread knowledge by now.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Collectonian

Post by Collectonian » July 26th, 2011, 9:58 pm

It could use better placement. To set up friend lists you have to go to Friends then Manage Friend List. From there you can create lists and put folks in lists.

Claudie

Post by Claudie » July 27th, 2011, 3:53 pm

Collectonian wrote:It could use better placement. To set up friend lists you have to go to Friends then Manage Friend List. From there you can create lists and put folks in lists.
Aah, found it! Thanks a lot. :)

lmjackson

Post by lmjackson » July 28th, 2011, 4:56 pm

Claudie wrote:
Collectonian wrote:Yep, I do it all the time. You can post to friend lists, a mix of specified friends and lists, networks, etc. Been a feature for probably a year, maybe longer.
I've just gone back to facebook and looked all over for this. I couldn't find it, except perhaps the group things. This is making me think that even if the feature is there (and it must be, if you've been using it), it's not exactly obviously displayed, or it'd be widespread knowledge by now.
Agreed. Too bad they didn't implement it sooner.

Even still, Facebook has just become so exhausting. Like I said, G+ isn't really the anti-Facebook. It's a lot closer to Facebook than Facebook was to Myspace.

Collectonian

Post by Collectonian » July 28th, 2011, 6:37 pm

lmjackson wrote:Agreed. Too bad they didn't implement it sooner.

Even still, Facebook has just become so exhausting. Like I said, G+ isn't really the anti-Facebook. It's a lot closer to Facebook than Facebook was to Myspace.
Errr....its been around since like 2008 :-P One interesting thing I've read with Google+ is that it is not for businesses, and they have been canceling business accounts left & right because of it. Would guess that means they have nothing like "pages" or the like?

lmjackson

Post by lmjackson » July 28th, 2011, 9:02 pm

Collectonian wrote:Would guess that means they have nothing like "pages" or the like?
I certainly hope so. I never understood why everybody and their grandma (not literally speaking) has to have a Facebook page. My university has over 30 or departmental Facebook pages now. The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences is great, but it doesn't need to be on my news feed! I feel like Twitter is a much better avenue for those types of things.

The neat thing though, is that you can +1 search results in Google (which I'm sure is the search engine that most people use). Not completely sure how that will play out, or it's purpose. But it's sorta neat :)

Eta: Really love how it's integrated with all the Google services I use, Gmail and Gchat in particular. Google's chat system is just light-years ahead of FB's chat system (no matter how many times they try to revamp it).

Also, on G+ you can post gifs! Haha

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » July 30th, 2011, 4:12 pm

I'm not really a huge fan of G+ yet....I'm glad to be friends with you guys on there, and I'll keep an eyes on it. But it's just not as convenient right now.

CV

Writecastlesinthesky

Post by Writecastlesinthesky » August 2nd, 2011, 8:46 am

Collectonian wrote:
Errr....its been around since like 2008 :-P One interesting thing I've read with Google+ is that it is not for businesses, and they have been canceling business accounts left & right because of it. Would guess that means they have nothing like "pages" or the like?
I heard the business pages are coming but haven't been developed yet. Wired's blog had a rant a few weeks ago about G+ deleting business accounts and how it launched before it was ready to meet everyone's needs.