The Introduction Thread

New member introductions, suggestions for the Forums, questions about posting, and important announcements.
Megs6703

Re: The Introduction Thread

Post by Megs6703 » July 13th, 2011, 1:23 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm Megan. I've been following Nathan's blog for months, and just stumbled upon the forums a couple of weeks ago. I've been lurking and finally decided it was time to join in! I'm currently working on a YA fantasy novel (because I figure there's not NEARLY enough of them, lol). I've been writing for, well, probably since I learned to put pen to paper and connect words. So I'm not new to writing, but I am very new to the idea of writing with the intention of getting published. I've published a couple non-fiction articles for a nationwide professional association, but that's it. Can't wait to get to know you all better!

Megan

washingtonwriter1968

Hi I am new here writing a novel

Post by washingtonwriter1968 » July 13th, 2011, 8:38 pm

I found this page because I am at one of the strangest,but exciting places in my life.
I am at a place were the muse is working and I am writing like crazy. Words are pouring forth onto the paper almost faster than i can write. My Characters or leaping forth and presenting themselves almost like real people. I am so happy and excited.

Yet at times, I find my husband waiting at the door while I finish just one more paragraph ;and it seems in no time at all, an entire chapter later, and I am still writing. I am Oh! so new to the whole writing process, at least in the form of extended length such as a novel. I am afraid that I don't have good skills at balancing my life and writing.
for Instance, I do not know how many times I looked up and it was 10:00 at night. the last time I had eaten was around noon and I am starved. While I am writing however, I wasn't hungry. I am hoping that by coming here during brief glimpses of time between chapters i might gleam so useful ides on how to balance life and my writing. I hope to hear from some of you in the future.

sincerely,
Washington 8-) Writer
Washington Writer
Thx 4 your time
http://washington1968.livejournal.com/

carynrose

Post by carynrose » July 17th, 2011, 12:25 am

Greetings, all. I too have been following Nathan's blog for months as I work towards self-publishing my first novel. I found out about the forum when I was reading the latest pledge-drive-blog-post brouhaha (I was pro-pledge-drive, fwiw). I had an agent and tried the traditional publishing route... without making you all fall asleep I will just say that now is now and today is today and I am happy with my decision to go it alone. But, it is going it alone, and I am happy to find a forum in which to commiserate and share while I work on the next book!

Thanks for having me.

meganstirler

Post by meganstirler » July 17th, 2011, 9:01 pm

I am a chronic lurker, but one of my fears as a writer is talking about my work so this is like the kiddie-pool for that, right? I've taught high school science for the last 10 years but I've been a stay-at-home mom for the last year as I moved to a new city after the school year started (and 6 months pregnant!). I've been frustrated by my increasing lack of time for writing, though. Who knew that I'd have less time to myself once I stopped working full time?

I finished a novel two years ago and am finally getting serious again and starting to re-write. It's a political thriller with a science context. I also have ideas for a historical fiction project and an urban fantasy. I stumbled upon this forum recently and am very excited to participate! I have so many questions about the writing industry and it seems like lots of people here have answers of some sort...
Meg
meganstirler.wordpress.com

MattLarkin

Post by MattLarkin » July 31st, 2011, 9:50 am

Hi all, I'm Matt. I've followed the blog for a few years, but only just joined the forum. I live in St Petersburg, FL and I'm working in IT.

I write epic fantasy with a special interest in ancient history and mythology. I've spent a while polishing my current novel, and I'm now searching for an agent while planning a new book. My current novel is the second book I completed, and it feels lightyears beyond my disjointed first attempt.
mattlarkin.net
larkinediting.com - freelance editing for fantasy and science fiction
ImageImageImage

roja

Hello and How Nice to Meet you All

Post by roja » August 2nd, 2011, 4:20 pm

Well this is grossly intimidating. It's always such an awkward thing to introduce yourself to a forum full of writers - in writing. OK, I'm over it.

My name is Rachel, I've been writing seriously for about a year, although I've done it for fun ever since I was a very small kid. Now that I'm a very small adult (for real - I clock in at 5' 2 and 3/4" ...), I thought I should gird up my loins and learn to do it properly. My current WIP is a middle grade novel geared towards girls. I've already been poking around the forums a little bit but wanted to introduce myself properly.

dios4vida

Re: Hello and How Nice to Meet you All

Post by dios4vida » August 2nd, 2011, 8:58 pm

<wave> Welcome to the Bransforums!
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

JC Rey

Post by JC Rey » August 3rd, 2011, 2:06 am

Hello everyone...I am J.C. Rey and I have just joined the forum this past week, although I have been following Nathan for over a year now. I am currently writing my first fiction story, but on a blog format. I am using it as a springboard just to get my idea and story out there.

I have been writing for five years and have written two screenplays. I want to dive into the fiction writing world as I want people to be able to relate to the stories I write and put themselves in the characters shoes. If you want to check my current story, check it out at www.myheartmytown.blogspot.com

Regards,

J.C.

Cookie

Post by Cookie » August 4th, 2011, 10:35 am

Welcome!

Writecastlesinthesky

Post by Writecastlesinthesky » August 4th, 2011, 10:42 am

Welcome! I've only been here a short while myself. Opinion of the week...these forums are less scary to me than Twitter. Also 3/4 of an inch is very important for us short people. I'm 5'3.5" and get very upset when people try to round down.

Sanderling

Post by Sanderling » August 7th, 2011, 11:03 pm

Writecastlesinthesky wrote:Also 3/4 of an inch is very important for us short people. I'm 5'3.5" and get very upset when people try to round down.
Funny that you say that. At a mere 5'6" (a height usually considered average for women) I'm the giant in my family - my mom and sisters are all about four inches shorter than me. Strangely, though, they never comment much about their height, except when discussing things on high shelves. I really don't know whether they fuss over half an inch or not...
My blog / Twitter
"Because if you have at least a modicum of talent and if you live by these six rules, you will make it."
--Robert J. Sawyer, speaking here of Heinlein's Rules.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » August 8th, 2011, 5:24 pm

Sanderling wrote:
Writecastlesinthesky wrote:Also 3/4 of an inch is very important for us short people. I'm 5'3.5" and get very upset when people try to round down.
Funny that you say that. At a mere 5'6" (a height usually considered average for women) I'm the giant in my family - my mom and sisters are all about four inches shorter than me. Strangely, though, they never comment much about their height, except when discussing things on high shelves. I really don't know whether they fuss over half an inch or not...
This is amusing. I'm 5'7" so no one would consider me short. All of the men in my family, though, are well over 6'. My Dad is 6'4" (incidentally, so is my husband). I was probably 11 before I realized that men could be shorter than 6'. I thought any grown man that short was an abnormality, rather than my family being extra-tall.

And I have a friend who's in her early 30's, a nurse, and I think she's 4'11.5". Even with me having about 8 inches on her, I would never pick a fight with her. Beware of the little ones, I always say. They're vicious. :)
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

washingtonwriter1968

Post by washingtonwriter1968 » August 9th, 2011, 8:11 pm

dios4vida wrote:
Sanderling wrote:
This is amusing. I'm 5'7" so no one would consider me short. All of the men in my family, though, are well over 6'. My Dad is 6'4" (incidentally, so is my husband). I was probably 11 before I realized that men could be shorter than 6'. I thought any grown man that short was an abnormality, rather than my family being extra-tall.

And I have a friend who's in her early 30's, a nurse, and I think she's 4'11.5". Even with me having about 8 inches on her, I would never pick a fight with her. Beware of the little ones, I always say. They're vicious. :)
Ok so I would be a considered a minnie me in this forum at 5'2" ! :lol: :lol: :lol: You all are a bunch of Giants! :D
Washington Writer
Thx 4 your time
http://washington1968.livejournal.com/

F.E. Sewell

Post by F.E. Sewell » August 10th, 2011, 6:15 pm

Hi All! I'm 5'8.5". I've been reading Nathan's blog for over a year and I've never been quite brave enough to go public until now. I've been wanting to get involved in a community of writers for a while in hopes that I'll meet like-minded people and learn more about my craft. This seems like just the place for that sort of thing.

Really looking forward to getting to know everyone!

MattLarkin

Post by MattLarkin » August 11th, 2011, 3:38 pm

F.E. Sewell wrote:Hi All! I'm 5'8.5".
:lol: Listing heights appears to have become mandatory bio info for this forum :lol:

Gotta love it.
mattlarkin.net
larkinediting.com - freelance editing for fantasy and science fiction
ImageImageImage