Should I just look for an agent in the US/UK?

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
Icy

Should I just look for an agent in the US/UK?

Post by Icy » January 19th, 2010, 6:24 pm

When the time comes, should I be submitting my manuscript to agents in my own country (Australia) or just the US/UK? If I have a local agent, will they be able to get my manuscript published internationally? If so, will they be taking a larger commission for 'foreign' rights?

Thanks

Icy.

Jaime

Re: Should I just look for an agent in the US/UK?

Post by Jaime » January 19th, 2010, 7:29 pm

Hi Icy!

I'm an Aussie, too, and I'm going to be querying the US first. Mainly because there are only really 2 good agencies over here, Cameron Creswell (who are open for submissions now, but that is quite rare), and Curtis Brown. Both are incredibly difficult to get signed to, so they are at the bottom of my list as a last resort! They have no information about their agents anywhere, so if I do query them, I'm going to have to ring them to find out which agent actually works with my genre, and who their clients are, so that I can actually do some research!

I'm not 100% sure that an agent would get higher commissions because of foreign rights - I'm assuming that whichever publishing company wants your book, gets it, whether you're an Aussie or not. Foreign rights would only factor in if they want to sell it to any country outside of the original publication country, but like I said, I'm only making assumptions. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong :)

Holly

Post by Holly » January 25th, 2010, 10:14 pm

Nathan Bransford wrote:Here's a post on that: http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2009/08 ... tting.html
Nathan, your link goes to a piece about blurbs (or maybe I just don't get it, which is entirely possible).

Do you have another link? Gracias.

Icy

Post by Icy » January 26th, 2010, 10:18 pm

Thanks very much for the link. I appreciate it.