Who's on Goodreads?

Blogs, Facebook, Twitter, and promoting your book on the Internet
CharleeVale

Who's on Goodreads?

Post by CharleeVale » June 29th, 2011, 4:56 pm

I just started goodreads, and since ya'll are essentially my writing family, I'd like to see your opinions about all the books! :P

So roll call! who's on there?

CV

Mira

Re: Who's on Goodreads?

Post by Mira » June 29th, 2011, 6:25 pm

I'm not - I've heard about Goodreads, but I'm not sure what it offers?

What is Goodreads?

Cookie

Post by Cookie » June 29th, 2011, 7:16 pm

I'm on Goodreads! Just friended you.

Mira, for me it is a way to keep track of the books I've read and to discover new books. It has opened me up to books that I wouldn't have known about on my own.

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » June 29th, 2011, 10:45 pm

I used to be on there a long time ago when my friends at work were all into the book club thing. But since a lot of my work peeps either quit\fired\disappeared from the group I just haven't been on. That, and once I started working on the book in 2009 I just...didn't have time. XD
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » June 30th, 2011, 1:06 am

I find it's a good way to keep track of the books I've always wanted to read. Now I can keep my list all in one of place instead of clinging to random napkins I wrote on in my purse!

CV

Nicole R

Post by Nicole R » June 30th, 2011, 9:07 am

CV - I'm also on Goodreads. It's a fun way to keep up with what friends in other states are reading. My bookshelf is listed on my blog...

longknife

Post by longknife » June 30th, 2011, 11:44 am

I'm on there but don't seem to have the time to do much.
Got so many irons in the fire can't seem to figure out what to do/where to go next.

JustAnotherJen

Post by JustAnotherJen » July 1st, 2011, 2:29 pm

I'm on Goodreads, and I totally LOVE it. Embarrassing fact: I don't have very many friends, on Goodreads anyway. But I still love it. I find that the best book recommendations come from seeing what my friends are reading. I also really enjoy having a place to keep track of what I've read and what I thought of it. I love reading reviews on Goodreads, especially if I'm iffy about trying a book out. And, well... I'l admit that I also find the trivia more than a little addicting. But my favorite thing about Goodreads is finding new books to read, and that's what Goodreads is all about. From friends to listopia to everything in between, I'm always finding new books to add to my to-read list. As all of my non-Goodreads friends will tell you, I'm completely addicted, and I'm always trying to get everyone else to join! :)

Collectonian

Post by Collectonian » July 1st, 2011, 5:01 pm

Alas, I'm not. I tried it, but didn't find the interface intuitive enough and that it became more cumbersome to deal with if you imported an existing library (900+ books). So instead I just stick to my homegrown online library. Has no social aspects, but that's okay :-)

I have been thinking about trying Good Reads again for my "books in a year" thing, where I track what I've read over the last year, but not sure if it would work well for that, and that still usually hits the 300-400 mark LOL

Cookie

Post by Cookie » July 1st, 2011, 8:00 pm

Collectonian wrote:I have been thinking about trying Good Reads again for my "books in a year" thing, where I track what I've read over the last year, but not sure if it would work well for that, and that still usually hits the 300-400 mark LOL
I find it helpful. I use it to keep track of all the book challenges I took part in this year, plus to keep track of how many I read. Give it a try.

[quote="JustAnotherJen]Embarrassing fact: I don't have very many friends, on Goodreads anyway.[/quote]

I don't have many either.

Ishta

Post by Ishta » July 1st, 2011, 11:23 pm

Yuppers! I'm on Goodreads as Ishta Mercurio, I think. (Maybe as Ishta mercurio-Wentworth, which is my married name; I write under my maiden name, since my married name is a mouthful.) I love it - I get to find out what my friends liked and didn't like about a book, and it's a place where I can keep track of all the books I want to read. I used to have scraps of paper all over the place, and random emails that I'd flagged in my inbox. Now I just go straight to my Goodreads list and mark a book as "to-read" as soon as I hear about it. And when I run out of books in my physical TBR pile, I check out my Goodreads list. It's saved me a lot of time and money, because i don't buy books that I then lose track of, and it's exposed me to a whole bunch of books I would never have heard of otherwise.

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » July 2nd, 2011, 12:48 am

I'l admit that I also find the trivia more than a little addicting.
Ummm...Yes. I've been on GoodReads for less than 3 days and I'm already in the top 4,000 scoring players. I never said I wasn't a nerd! lol

CV

HillaryJ

Post by HillaryJ » July 2nd, 2011, 12:56 am

I'm there. I like it for tracking my own reading, and have had some interesting discussions on a few more obscure books. If I had more time, I'm sure I'd play there quite often. My invite thingie: http://www.goodreads.com/friend/i?i=LTM ... E3NzY6MzU4
Blog http://www.hillaryjacques.blogspot.com
Twitter http://www.twitter.com/hillaryjacques
CARNIEPUNK - http://books.simonandschuster.com/Carni ... 1476714158
as Regan Summers - The Night Runner series from Carina Press

Craig J.

Post by Craig J. » July 11th, 2011, 12:34 pm

I've tried to convince friends to join but most people I know either aren't that into reading and the few that are have no interest in joining Goodreads. So even though I don't have any friends there yet (http://www.goodreads.com/friend/i?i=LTM ... IzNDE6Mzc5), an unexpected benefit is just knowing that I might write a review (and I don't review everything) makes me a much careful reader than I have been in the past. Regrettably I feel like a lot of my reading these days stems more from obligation than from pleasure, but Goodreads makes even obligatory reads a bit more pleasurable.

Craig J.

Post by Craig J. » July 11th, 2011, 12:43 pm

Another benefit I forgot to mention is that I anticipate cataloging my reading and reviews on Goodreads will be rewarding on down the line when I start to forget precisely how I felt about a book. Or how my opinions about a read might alter with multiple readings over time.