Camp NaNoWriMo!

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
sierramcconnell

Camp NaNoWriMo!

Post by sierramcconnell » June 29th, 2011, 10:43 pm

http://www.campnanowrimo.org/

It's open now, yay!

I don't know if anyone wants to do this like we did for NaNo last year but they're doing it for July and August, too. :3
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

Cookie

Re: Camp NaNoWriMo!

Post by Cookie » June 30th, 2011, 7:30 pm

I've been considering it. But I really should get my draft finished before I start anything new. Maybe I could cheat, and use it to motivate my re-write. Hmm...

Collectonian

Post by Collectonian » June 30th, 2011, 8:34 pm

I debated it, but I have so much on my plate already and am still struggling to get my main project edited for submission.

Claudie

Post by Claudie » July 4th, 2011, 11:19 am

Cookie wrote:I've been considering it. But I really should get my draft finished before I start anything new. Maybe I could cheat, and use it to motivate my re-write. Hmm...
Do that, cookie.

NaNoWriMo is all about kicking your ass into gear and getting "that novel you always say you'll write but always push back" done. Sure, their rules state you should start something new, but if you've been dragging your rewrites around longer than you meant to, this is a great way to finish. Participate, take advantage of the collective frenzy, have fun and then spread the word. They're beta-testing Camp NaNo at the moment. If you mess around with the site and answer the survey at the end, they won't care in the least that you're not writing something new. They'll be glad for the feedback.

/takes off her NaNoWriMo ML and Addict hat

I'm doing Camp NaNo this August and want to push my whole region (or most of it) into it. We're even planning a camping trip on the third weekend!
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » July 4th, 2011, 12:32 pm

Well, I'm about 7000 into the story and it's not as actiony packed as I'm used to. I mean, it's going as I thought but I'm sorta meh about it. I don't know if I'm bored or if it's my usual NaNo beginners hate.

I'm great at planning, coming up with a story, getting all the details, world building, making characters, and editing.

I am notoriously grumbly about writing. XD I hate everything I write. XD
I'm on Tumblr!

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » July 4th, 2011, 1:23 pm

I'm doing it! I'm only 8,000 in and plan on it being longer than 50,000 anyway. So Yay!

Friend me!

CV

P.S. Sierra,
I'm great at planning, coming up with a story, getting all the details, world building, making characters, and editing.
Sounds like you need a collab partner!

Cookie

Post by Cookie » July 4th, 2011, 8:55 pm

Claudie wrote:Do that, cookie.
I think I will. This past week, I've been printing out my MS and revising that way. It seems to work a whole lot better that way. But I'm still only on the 6th chapter. Blah.

I've also spent the majority of this week updating my resume and agonizing over cover letters. I'm looking for jobs in Boston, which excites me and scares me at the same time. On the one hand, I miss living out there and my life will be all around better (better pay, better social life, close proximity to the beach). On the other, I will miss the friends I have out here, and I kinda like the job I do have. Also, moving. Blah. Across the state no less.
I'm doing Camp NaNo this August and want to push my whole region (or most of it) into it. We're even planning a camping trip on the third weekend!
Waa! Where? I love camping! S'mores! Fire! More s'mores!

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » July 5th, 2011, 2:50 pm

Muhahaha. I roped my mother into camp! hehehe.

I know that I'll have to hold her to it every second, but she's been talking about writing a book for years!

CV

CampNaNoWriMo Wordcount: 11,418

Cookie

Post by Cookie » July 5th, 2011, 4:33 pm

I signed up for my 3rd draft. We'll see how it goes.

Claudie

Post by Claudie » July 6th, 2011, 1:30 am

Cookie wrote:
Waa! Where? I love camping! S'mores! Fire! More s'mores!
Tadoussac, 2 hours and a half NE of Quebec City, by the St-Lawrence River. This means we'll have whales greeting us in the morning as we have breakfast, and through the day as we write.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » July 9th, 2011, 2:21 pm

Who's attempting to make a major dent this weekend??

I am!

CV

bcomet

Post by bcomet » July 12th, 2011, 12:24 pm

I was waiting to hear when it would begin and never did, so I just learned this week that it already started.

I was expecting it to be a six weeker.

Anyway, if I can clear my schedule, I am going to go for either July15-August 31 (my own six-weeker) or August to complete the last 50,000 words of this year's novel project.

I love the NaNoWriMo for the camaraderie and the discipline of daily writing all in a short time burst, but I also like to streamline it to what I want and need to do sometimes although writing a whole novel from scratch in 30 days is a fearless endeavor too.

trixie

Post by trixie » July 12th, 2011, 2:45 pm

Sorry for my ignorance, but I haven't checked out the Nano site.

Is this the same idea as what happens in November? 50K in 30 days? Or is this something totally different?

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » July 18th, 2011, 6:08 pm

trixie wrote:Sorry for my ignorance, but I haven't checked out the Nano site.

Is this the same idea as what happens in November? 50K in 30 days? Or is this something totally different?
They are doing it in July and August, yup.

I'm at 35099~! WOOT.
I'm on Tumblr!

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » July 18th, 2011, 6:53 pm

I've hit a snag in my plotting, after July is over I have to make some major changes (Hopefully won't take too long) before I send it to send it for a first read to Sanderling. (Yay critiquing!)

But right now I'm at 29,942!

CV