You know you spend too much time on the Bransforums when...

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Margo

Re: You know you spend too much time on the Bransforums when...

Post by Margo » June 16th, 2011, 6:50 pm

Downtown Chicago perhaps? I seem to recall someone saying it was pretty.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Margo

Post by Margo » June 16th, 2011, 6:56 pm

Are we all googling Downtown Chicago right now?
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Cookie

Post by Cookie » June 16th, 2011, 6:57 pm

Margo wrote:Are we all googling Downtown Chicago right now?
Yes. Lol.

Cookie

Post by Cookie » June 16th, 2011, 6:59 pm

Margo wrote:
Sommer Leigh wrote:I suspect someone would probably set something on fire? Probably Margo?
[indignant huffing noises]

if you need help, I have experience as a tour manager.

hektorkarl

Post by hektorkarl » June 16th, 2011, 6:59 pm

Atlanta does have a range of interesting architecture, from the old Southern to the very modern. There are also neighborhoods designed by Frederick Law Olmstead, who designed Central Park. And the Margaret Mitchell House for Gone With the Wind fans.

Chicago is a cool city, though I don't remember it being very pretty.

Both are really hot in the summer. Both have bad traffic.

Margo

Post by Margo » June 16th, 2011, 7:01 pm

hektorkarl wrote:Atlanta does have a range of interesting architecture, from the old Southern to the very modern. There are also neighborhoods designed by Frederick Law Olmstead, who designed Central Park. And the Margaret Mitchell House for Gone With the Wind fans.

The upside to Downtown Chicago is that there's a lot within walking distance, which is good because parking is expensive. They idea would be to get a shuttle or share a car service to the hotel and then just walk everywhere we'd want to go.

Also, it's probbably best to stay away from summer as much as possible because of the higher rates in most places.

Anyone up for Vegas?

Cookie

Post by Cookie » June 16th, 2011, 7:03 pm

Margo wrote:
hektorkarl wrote:Atlanta does have a range of interesting architecture, from the old Southern to the very modern. There are also neighborhoods designed by Frederick Law Olmstead, who designed Central Park. And the Margaret Mitchell House for Gone With the Wind fans.

The upside to Downtown Chicago is that there's a lot within walking distance, which is good because parking is expensive. They idea would be to get a shuttle or share a car service to the hotel and then just walk everywhere we'd want to go.

Also, it's probbably best to stay away from summer as much as possible because of the higher rates in most places.

Anyone up for Vegas?

Woo Hoo!

Margo

Post by Margo » June 16th, 2011, 7:05 pm

Some of the Strip hotels are surprisingly inexpensive, and there are a lot of transportation and entertainment options. And the buffets are pretty amazing.

hektorkarl

Post by hektorkarl » June 16th, 2011, 7:06 pm

You're not going to want to walk around Chicago in the late fall/Winter, especially not if you're from CA :).

Margo

Post by Margo » June 16th, 2011, 7:07 pm

AND, there's a cool outlet mall about a 45 minute bus-ride away. I got BCBG black feathered pumps for $35.

Cookie

Post by Cookie » June 16th, 2011, 7:08 pm

Margo wrote:Some of the Strip hotels are surprisingly inexpensive, and there are a lot of transportation and entertainment options. And the buffets are pretty amazing.
Plus the entertainment! I mean, the availability of of places where we can discuss writing.

Margo

Post by Margo » June 16th, 2011, 7:08 pm

hektorkarl wrote:You're not going to want to walk around Chicago in the late fall/Winter, especially not if you're from CA :).
True. Something in between baking and freezing would be nice. Another plus to Vegas is that the really hot months are the cheapest, then you stay inside in the incredible air conditioning all day and hit the Strip at night.

Cookie

Post by Cookie » June 16th, 2011, 7:09 pm

Margo wrote:AND, there's a cool outlet mall about a 45 minute bus-ride away. I got BCBG black feathered pumps for $35.

What? I'm sold.

The question is, how long is our writing conference/get-together/drink fest going to be?

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » June 16th, 2011, 7:10 pm

Chicago is not really "pretty" but it is a lot of fun. I accidentally wandered into a little cafe late at night in a Spanish part of the city and no one spoke English but I was able to figure out how to order a hot chocolate and it was the best thing I have ever had in my whole life. I like that everything is in walking distance. Everywhere is hot and expensive in the summer, probably not the best time to go. Fall and Spring are good there though. The Natural History Museum in Chicago is awesome.

Chicago, New Orleans, Boston and Vegas are some of my favorite places I've been.

Bigger cities will also mean bigger cost in most instances. Maybe we should look at something mid-range fun and cost. Or some place where the most people live, although that would require a real survey of interested parties.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Margo

Post by Margo » June 16th, 2011, 7:10 pm

Cookie wrote:Plus the entertainment! I mean, the availability of of places where we can discuss writing.
And the barely clothed men who could be serving us drinks while we discuss writing! jk