The Introduction Thread

New member introductions, suggestions for the Forums, questions about posting, and important announcements.
Margo

Re: The Introduction Thread

Post by Margo » June 8th, 2011, 9:45 pm

Who has the Welcome Wagon missed lately?

Welcome to HBRains and sheribomb and Woman. Leonidas, we know you. Get out of that welcome line and get back to serving punch...or cutting the cake if you prefer weilding a knife. Or maybe help stuff the hand grenades into the welcoming baskets. (We have to keep people on their toes around here!) :P
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

CabSav

Post by CabSav » June 9th, 2011, 4:13 am

I've been around a while, lurking rather than posting. Thought it was time I introduced myself. I read Nathan's blog, but only duck into the forum on an irregular basis. (My excuse, I'm writing). I always seem to get to the good conversations after they've petered out.

I'm a science fiction/fantasy person, and love it when I can combine either with a mystery. My pile of books under the bed is growing. I think I'm getting there, slowly. Like most of us, there's always too much to do and never enough time to write.

So hello fellow writers and readers.

Mira

Post by Mira » June 9th, 2011, 1:00 pm

justcrash wrote: Exactly. I also set easy to reach New Years Resolution goals. This year it was to stop eating prunes in milk. 6 months in, and I haven't touched them!
Okay, that's just brilliant. A continual sense of accomplishment. Thumbs way up! :D

Cabsav - I'm glad you came out of lurking. Yay! Nothing wrong with lurking, just it's more fun to have conversations. I wouldn't worry if a thread has petered out, it can reactivate just as quickly, and I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Hope you join in as you feel ready! :)

hektorkarl

Post by hektorkarl » June 9th, 2011, 7:00 pm

CabSav wrote: I always seem to get to the good conversations after they've petered out.
I agree with Mira: the best conversations are never really dead. Write away if something catches your interest :).

johnh27

Post by johnh27 » June 13th, 2011, 11:33 am

Hi - I'm John H. I retired from the telecommunications industry several years ago and moved to the mountains of PA to set about writing a novel. Three years later, I've got a completed manuscript and not a word back from the agents I've queried. The story is a family drama set in the Sixties and involves a girl falling in love with her adopted brother. Looking forward to interacting with you all.

Subcreator

Post by Subcreator » June 14th, 2011, 12:00 pm

Hello, everyone.

I've followed the blog for some months now and lurked a bit around the forums. Some of my favorite bloggers post here and I'm sort of a natural forum junkie so I figured it's about time I signed up myself. I hope to jump into the discussions soon!
Sarah McCabe, Fantasy Writer

http://subcreator.blogspot.com/

hektorkarl

Post by hektorkarl » June 14th, 2011, 1:35 pm

Subcreator wrote: I've followed the blog for some months now and lurked a bit around the forums.
I think that's how most of us started. Welcome aboard! :D

retrorocket

Post by retrorocket » June 17th, 2011, 10:08 am

Howdy all. Way too new in town.

I literally stumbled across Nathan's blog on a Google search. The good news is that Google finally put the better site on top where it concerns writing and the business. I could not have found a more helpful site. On to me, a long time ago and a couple of planets away, I published my first short story in the great Aborginal Science Fiction magazine. I was then lucky enough to be drafted as a contributor to the Star Wars Adventure Journal, that was when West End Games held the license for Star Wars The Roleplaying Game (now its owned by WOTC and Hasbro ... cue the Imperial March music). That was way too long back! I've dusted the cobwebs off my fingers for some more writing. I have been working on a sci-fi / retro history concept for a novel. Think 1939 New York World's Fair and all those crazy vintage editions of Popular Science. I cannot wait to post a few things for review and I'm more than willing to dish back what I serve up.

Thanks again for your hospitality. Luck to you, Nathan

Tony Russo
aka guy running around in that funny-looking Rocketeer costume)

Margo

Post by Margo » June 17th, 2011, 6:30 pm

Welcome, Tony/retrorocket. We were hoping a rocketeer would wander in soon.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Mira

Post by Mira » June 19th, 2011, 7:48 pm

Hey John H., subcreator and retrorocket!

Welcome, good to have newbies here! Jump in and write! :)

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » June 20th, 2011, 12:11 pm

Retrorocket I am crazy about your handle!

I am also familiar with West End Games and the transition of Star Wars from them to WOTC. My husband is very into RPG history, the companies and writers so I get a lot of history lessons into things I thought would never come in handy, but here we are! Look at my weird trivia coming in useful for a change.

We are not big fans of the evil WOTC/Hasboro alliance in our house. We play Pathfinder now instead thanks to the hot mess they made of D&D 4th.

Also, your World's Fair/raygun gothic inspiration is the inspiration for the current manuscript I am working on about superheroes and supervillains. It is YA. I also recently redesigned my blog with the same inspiration in mind. We have much in common!

So welcome to the boards! You'll find everyone very, very, very helpful and a little crazy and a lot wonderful.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

GKJeyasingham

Post by GKJeyasingham » June 20th, 2011, 5:59 pm

Hi people!

Like everyone else, I've been lurking Nathan's forums/blog (for a year and a half. :? Do I win the award for longest lurker?), and I've finally decided to post. This site has been really helpful so far, so I wanted to get involved in the forums more and perhaps contribute a thing or two.

And hopefully I'll get to know a few of you guys too. :)

hektorkarl

Post by hektorkarl » June 20th, 2011, 7:08 pm

Welcome! Nothing wrong with lurking, though participating is even more fun. :)

markimedes

Post by markimedes » June 23rd, 2011, 5:33 pm

Hello Bransforumers,

I'm afraid I don't have any "lurking" credentials; after reading the blog for a while unaware of the link that said "Forum", once I saw it I had a look around, saw how awesome it seemed, and signed myself up.

I write all manners of things, and my current WIP is a horror set in London during WWII. It's complete, but I'm now sweating over the query and synopsis. I'm looking forward to trying to give good advice, and may even put up my query at some point to be ripped to shreds :-)

See you all around.

Mark.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » June 24th, 2011, 8:32 am

markimedes wrote:Hello Bransforumers,

I'm afraid I don't have any "lurking" credentials; after reading the blog for a while unaware of the link that said "Forum", once I saw it I had a look around, saw how awesome it seemed, and signed myself up.

I write all manners of things, and my current WIP is a horror set in London during WWII. It's complete, but I'm now sweating over the query and synopsis. I'm looking forward to trying to give good advice, and may even put up my query at some point to be ripped to shreds :-)

See you all around.

Mark.

Welcome Mark! I think a horror set in London during WWII sounds awesome!
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.