Rick Daley

Re: What are you reading now?

Post by Rick Daley » January 18th, 2010, 2:33 pm

THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF KAVALIER AND CLAY by Michael Chabon

lexcade

Post by lexcade » January 22nd, 2010, 3:15 am

deerskin by robin mckinley

i read it for a fairytales class i took in college, fell in love with it, and wanted to reread it. it's beautiful. i'd recommend it to anyone.
"Art imitates nature as well as it can, as a pupil follows his master; thus it is sort of a grandchild of God." ~~Dante

lexcade

Post by lexcade » January 22nd, 2010, 3:16 am

abc wrote:I just finished Suzanne Collin's Catching Fire last night. I read it (plus The Hunger Games) because so many people listed it as their favorite published book of 2009. Damn you! I couldn't stop reading those books. Forget work, forget dishes. My kiddo couldn't get to sleep fast enough! And now I have to wait until August to find out about Peeta! Can I just say? I love Peeta.
totally team peeta.
"Art imitates nature as well as it can, as a pupil follows his master; thus it is sort of a grandchild of God." ~~Dante

Lauren

Post by Lauren » January 22nd, 2010, 2:12 pm

Hi,

I'm new here. I just finished up One Dry Season:In the Footsteps of Mary Kingsley by Caroline Alexander. Now I am beginning Fathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev (the Penguin Classics edition).

LydiaSharp

Post by LydiaSharp » January 22nd, 2010, 6:09 pm

Small Miracles by Edward M. Lerner (sci-fi thriller; heard about it from the SFWA)
Green by Jay Lake (fantasy; heard about it from Jennifer Jackson, Jay Lake's agent)
Save the Cat! by Blake Snyder (a book on screenwriting that is also relevant for novelists; recommended to me by Therese Walsh & Christina Katz)
Still waiting for my copy of Orange Mint and Honey by Carleen Brice (women's fiction; heard about it from Carleen's interview at The Rejectionist)

My list changes every two weeks. Guess I'll come back and update later.
Lydia Sharp
Science Fiction * Fantasy * Women's Fiction
http://www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com

Nick

Post by Nick » January 26th, 2010, 4:54 pm

Picked up a facsimile copy of the first edition of On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life. Have yet to open it, but I imagine it'll be very good stuff indeed.

marilyn peake

Post by marilyn peake » January 27th, 2010, 5:33 pm

Finished reading BONESHAKER by Cherie Priest. Highly recommend it for anyone who likes steampunk. Well-written, highly imaginative novel!
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.

marilyn peake

Post by marilyn peake » January 28th, 2010, 2:39 pm

Have returned to reading the graphic novel series, MONSTER. Stayed up late last night, reading book #11, and am now on book #12 in the series.
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.

Mel Skinner

Post by Mel Skinner » January 30th, 2010, 6:01 am

marilyn peake wrote:Have returned to reading the graphic novel series, MONSTER. Stayed up late last night, reading book #11, and am now on book #12 in the series.
I love this series! The work is just brilliant.

writeitsideways

Post by writeitsideways » January 31st, 2010, 3:03 am

"Year of Wonders," by Geraldine Brooks. It's about the plague--very interesting.

Tzalaran

Post by Tzalaran » January 31st, 2010, 10:31 am

my youngest son made me a deal, i'd read the Ranger's Apprentice series that he bought for christmas, and he'd read a book i selected for him. Over the past 5 days i read books 1-5 (all that is out in paperback in the states, Aussies have the advantage with book 9 released there). Also picked up The Prince when getting books 4 + 5 of the RA series, and a friend loaned me the Gotham Writer's Writing Fiction book that i've been flipping through.
I'd rather hate myself for failing, than hate my life for never having tried.
"Success leads to stagnation. Stagnation leads to failure." - Vlad Taltos

aspiring_x

Post by aspiring_x » February 1st, 2010, 11:11 am

Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere
... loving it. Had to put it down to eat, though. Croup and Vandemar can get sort of gruesome.

christi

Post by christi » February 1st, 2010, 1:16 pm

Sadly, all I've read lately is lots of blogs, websites, and forums in my quest to write the perfect query letter and/or synopsis and/or properly edit a manuscript. When that's done, I'll finally read my copy of "Odd Hours" that's been sitting here, taunting me.
Would you sign my story for a Klondike bar?

http://christigoddard.blogspot.com/

lexcade

Post by lexcade » February 2nd, 2010, 4:10 am

i started jon krakauer's into the wild yesterday. almost done with it. i watched the movie first; it wasn't even half the story. such a good book.

Lorelei Armstrong

Post by Lorelei Armstrong » February 3rd, 2010, 12:33 am

Now reading Wallace Stegner's Big Rock Candy Mountain, which will save me time writing a memoir. Turns out he wrote it for me.