What's Your Genre?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
dios4vida

Re: Out of curiosity

Post by dios4vida » June 4th, 2011, 1:15 pm

danielle100 wrote:Wow! Thanks for responding! I figured everyone was sci-fi. LOL. Glad to hear there is such an array, and even a few romance writers out there. If you are, or if you know someone who is, seeking a beta partner please contact me. You can view a sample of my work by following the blog link below and clicking on BACK IN FOCUS. Thanks :)
Make sure you check in with the critique part of the forums. There's a place specifically for connecting with betas there, and I've heard great things about it.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Rosie Lane

Post by Rosie Lane » June 4th, 2011, 7:05 pm

Contemporary fantasy.

Cookie

Post by Cookie » June 4th, 2011, 8:43 pm

Margo wrote:
Sommer Leigh wrote:I write YA sci-fi and horror. Though not together. Yet.

Waiting... [taps foot]
Also waiting...[checks watch]

I write fantasy, sci fi and historical fantasy. I've tried to write horror, but I can never be quite serious enough to make it believably scary.

jenna234

Post by jenna234 » June 5th, 2011, 2:52 am

I write YA fantasy, but I'm tempted to branch out. I just haven't gotten the nerve yet!

Guardian

Post by Guardian » June 5th, 2011, 11:04 am

I write epic fantasy and dark sci-fi the most, but I also write detective stories, political thrillers, conspiracy stories and few other thingies.

maybegenius

Post by maybegenius » June 5th, 2011, 9:25 pm

medussa74 wrote:
maybegenius wrote:Speculative and contemporary YA. Currently working on a YA Steampunk novel ;)
Maybegenius--yeah, I saw your excerpt out on the critique thread. I liked it! My last NANWRIMO novel was steampunk-ish.
Thank you, lol... that entire section has actually been scrapped for a brand new beginning, heh. Such is the way of revising! I'm glad you liked it, though :)
aka S.E. Sinkhorn, or Steph

My Blog | My Twitter | YA!Flash Tumblr

Represented by Michelle Andelman of Regal Literary

Sleeping Beauty

Re: What's Your Genre?

Post by Sleeping Beauty » June 5th, 2011, 11:35 pm

It's usually YA Contemporary Fantasy, but my current WIP is YA Magical Realism. I wish I had a short 'n snappy genre to work into my queries. ;)

polymath

Post by polymath » June 6th, 2011, 12:08 am

Magical Realism depicts blurred distinctions between the metaphysical and the mundane realms and the metaphysical premises as taken for granted as the norm of the mundane realm. Metaphysical in the sense of the supernatural, not, per se, paranormal or fantasy as some emerging consensuses are making it out to be and encountering marketplace resistance because of it. Show the blurred distinction between the metaphysical and the mundane taken for granted in the body of a query, and ideally the pitch, and an agent will think, This is Magical Realism. Then be delighted with a wrapup confirmation that a querier knows. Stating a novel's genre is young adult Magical Realism without showing it's so opens up questions about whether it really is.
Spread the love of written word.

Claudie

Post by Claudie » June 7th, 2011, 12:18 am

I'm writing speculative fiction, most of which is fantasy (especially high/epic fantasy). My current WIP is a science fiction project, though.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

oldhousejunkie

Post by oldhousejunkie » June 7th, 2011, 12:13 pm

I'm all in for historical fiction. My completed manuscript is Civil War America, and my WIP is Ireland in the late 18th century.

Rebecca Kiel

Post by Rebecca Kiel » June 9th, 2011, 11:45 am

I write commercial women's fiction. I make a point read outside of my genre in addition to women's fiction. I think it's in the best interest of my work.

Rebecca

Http://rebeccakielpages.blogspot.com

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » June 9th, 2011, 1:15 pm

I write a lot of different things, but currently tend toward YA Urban, Dystopian, and Light Fantasy.

CV

Chantelle.S.

Post by Chantelle.S. » June 9th, 2011, 5:19 pm

Horror and paranormal romance.
They kind of blur together and sometimes I can't tell for sure which is the more appropriate genre for a certain book.
"Description begins in the writer’s imagination, but should finish in the reader’s." -Stephen King

http://smithee24.blogspot.com/
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1570694/Clairavance

SingingFlames

Post by SingingFlames » June 14th, 2011, 4:13 pm

My WIP is urban fantasy. I have other ideas brewing for contempory fantasy and science fiction (and another urban fantasy). I haven't gotten past the basic plotting stage of those.

Nicole R

Post by Nicole R » June 14th, 2011, 5:57 pm

I write fantasy - mostly for adults, but I have a middle grade fantasy series brewing, too.