The Introduction Thread

New member introductions, suggestions for the Forums, questions about posting, and important announcements.
Mira

Re: The Introduction Thread

Post by Mira » June 1st, 2011, 11:13 pm

Hey welcome, Bighockeyhair!

I like your name, it's fun to say. :)

so, Sommer, I am so curious about the else thing. What's the else? Is it money? Because if it's money, I'm pretty tempted.

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » June 2nd, 2011, 7:38 am

Mira wrote:Hey welcome, Bighockeyhair!

so, Sommer, I am so curious about the else thing. What's the else? Is it money? Because if it's money, I'm pretty tempted.
Or else she'll hack into your Blogger account so you can't post or log in, until you to switch to Word Press. >:}

Woman

Post by Woman » June 2nd, 2011, 8:07 am

Good morning, my name is Woman and I'm an aspiring erotica writer.

Every time I write something like that I feel as if I should wait for the "Hello Woman" from the audience. Anyways...

As I mentioned, I am an aspiring erotica writer, I've a blog that is pretty much geared towards opening people's minds about female masturbation. But I prefer to say it is a blog about this and that as I do make mention of many other things in it.

I usually live in China, but I am originally from Canada. I'm not Chinese, but have lived there for just under ten years.

Ummm... well anyways... that is me in a nut shell.

w

Claudie

Post by Claudie » June 3rd, 2011, 12:58 am

Woman wrote:Good morning, my name is Woman and I'm an aspiring erotica writer.

Every time I write something like that I feel as if I should wait for the "Hello Woman" from the audience. Anyways...
It does sound as though we're a group therapy, eh? Although now that I think of it... we kinda are. The good kind.

So, "Hello Woman", welcome around the forums. :)
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » June 3rd, 2011, 8:25 am

Watcher55 wrote:

Or else she'll hack into your Blogger account so you can't post or log in, until you to switch to Word Press. >:}
Goodness! You make me sound like a social media supervillain.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Mira

Post by Mira » June 3rd, 2011, 5:24 pm

Watcher55 wrote: Or else she'll hack into your Blogger account so you can't post or log in, until you to switch to Word Press. >:}
Eeek! Okay, never mind, that's not as good as money. I don't want that.

Okay, Sherriff/Supervillian Sommer, I'm on board with the niceness!

Woman - welcome to the forums! I hope you like it here and dive in. The water's just the right temperature.

Leonidas

Post by Leonidas » June 6th, 2011, 7:08 pm

So, uh, I'm just coming back here, so I thought I'd post in here again? It's been a while.

HI GUYS.

I'm Hannah, or you can call me Leonidas. Whichever. I'm seventeen, and school is out for me in two days. I'm really excited for summer. Mostly because I get to read all the books I don't have time to read during the school year. I'm working on a single WIP right now; it's a literary fiction manuscript following a gay Marine after being discharged because of Don't Ask, Don't Tell as he reintegrates himself into society. By this time next year, I'm going to have a polished manuscript of 80,000-100,000 words; my WiP is now a part of an independent study in creative writing that my school granted me.

I also have a new blog. I'm going to write about that WiP/independent study I mentioned above, books, and life in general. You can follow it on Tumblr or Blogger/Blogspot, whatever floats your boat.

I'm really excited to dive back into the lovely world of the Bransforums!

Margo

Post by Margo » June 6th, 2011, 11:31 pm

Leonidas wrote:...my WiP is now a part of an independent study in creative writing that my school granted me.

That is freaking cool. I wish I'd done that in high school.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » June 7th, 2011, 8:11 am

Haha sorry it's not money. The "else" is supposed to be mysterious and secret so you're like, "Oh no! I have to be nice or else! I don't want to find out what the else is!"

I am a subtle sherriff!
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

justcrash

Post by justcrash » June 7th, 2011, 11:01 am

Hello! I've been reading Nathan's blog for 6 months now and didn't even know the forum existed! In other news, I just found out my wife and I have children. I'm not very observant.

I am so thankful his blog exists as it has been a constant source of information, humor and inspiration for me. I've written a few short film scripts, I write comics for a small publisher in Boston, but I've always wanted to write a novel. However, I was waiting for someone to offer me a lot of money to do so. Then I realized I was 38 and had no redeemable social skills and no friends who were in a position to buy me a cup of coffee. In short, I wanted to circumvent the part where I write a book that may or may not ever be read by anyone (ie the "Am I Crazies?"). Yet the idea continued gnawing at me.

Finally I gave in when I read a quote by someone that said (and I'm paraphrasing here) "If you find yourself unable to think about anything else but one thing every day, you should pursue that thought".

So in late March I started writing my first great American Science Fiction novel (I know you can't hear it, but that was sarcasm) and I completed it at the end of last month. Now I've started working on my next one as I let the first one sit for a bit before I start the editing process for 5 or 6 weeks.

About me: I'm a musician of 22 years, I've done stand up comedy, moderate a few internet forums, I've written most of my life but have been afraid to pursue it professionally (fear is a big obstacle for me, you?) and I am an avid video game player. My daughter is 7 and she is just like her daddy, and by that I mean, she is attracted to every endeavor that won't make her money (or, I should say, things that only make money for a precious few who pursue them... dancing, singing, playing music, writing, yes, writing at 7) and my wonderful son is 12. He is the traditional "book smart" kid that has a bright future ahead of him. My wife and I have been together for a decade, we live on a 25 acre horse farm that she runs a non profit animal rescue on. We both work in IT.

I spend a lot of time telling offensive jokes to people and then eying them suspiciously when they aren't properly offended.

It is a true honor to post here and meet all of you fine people. Please, call me Darian. or Ishmael. But if I don't answer to Ishmael, call me Darian.
I finally have a website/blog! Check it out, I need the attention!

Follow me on Twitter! I will return the favor!

Mira

Post by Mira » June 7th, 2011, 7:57 pm

Sommer Leigh wrote: Haha sorry it's not money. The "else" is supposed to be mysterious and secret so you're like, "Oh no! I have to be nice or else! I don't want to find out what the else is!"

I am a subtle sherriff!
Ah, a mysterious and subtle sherriff! Cool! :!:

And you know, I'm just teasing. I think you're doing a great job, Sommer! :D

I also want to say welcome back, Leonidas! Congrats on school ending. I'm also wrapping up and it's so nice to have time for things like the forums again!

Darian - I'm glad you found this place. You sound mega-talented, with all of these interests! Your kids sound cute, too. I'll have to watch out for your jokes. I'll use this emoticon: :shock: I hope that's offended enough! :D Welcome!

justcrash

Post by justcrash » June 8th, 2011, 10:03 am

Mira wrote: Darian - I'm glad you found this place. You sound mega-talented, with all of these interests! Your kids sound cute, too. I'll have to watch out for your jokes. I'll use this emoticon: :shock: I hope that's offended enough! :D Welcome!
Thank you! I don't know about "mega-talented". I've always strove for mediocrity. I've found it's easier to lay and wait for the sick and the elderly to be weeded out if they think I am incompetent. :p

sheribomb

Post by sheribomb » June 8th, 2011, 12:00 pm

Hi, there! I've been reading Nathan's blog for years and am finally getting around to checking in here at the forums. This looks like a fantastically helpful place! I can't wait to check out more of the threads. :)

I'm a writer with many WIPs. I have one completed novella, a historical fiction love story, and one almost-completed second draft of a novel, an urban fantasy about an officer in the magic police. I've also written in other genres: humor, horror, sci-fi, nonfiction, memoir, that elusive "literary" genre... I've even done some video game writing. I'm a generally unpublished writer, aside from publishing a short story or two, here or there. I'm working on that!

My "day job" is in the biotechnology industry and mostly involves researching and writing reports about biotechnology, for various not-very-exciting reasons that I choose not to delve into here. I am also a partner in a small t-shirt company, which is way more fun, and am into backpacking, biking, canoeing, hiking and other things you can do outdoors. I'm an on-again, off-again grad student in writing -- I love the classes, but am not taking them fast enough to qualify to graduate. And I try to find time to write every day in there -- it's the thing that's most important to me.

I'm really looking forward to hanging out here at the forum! It's always fun to join a new community and the members of this one seem very helpful and nice. I'm looking forward to meeting you all! :D

Mira

Post by Mira » June 8th, 2011, 1:00 pm

justcrash wrote: Thank you! I don't know about "mega-talented". I've always strove for mediocrity. I've found it's easier to lay and wait for the sick and the elderly to be weeded out if they think I am incompetent. :p
Ha! I bet that's one of those jokes I need to use this expression for: :shock:

But I approve of mediocrity as a goal. It's so....attainable!
------------------------

Sherribomb - welcome!! It's always fun to meet a new writer, and one that does video game writing - too awesome. Check out the thread in the Procrastination section, we're talking about video games! :D

justcrash

Post by justcrash » June 8th, 2011, 3:17 pm

Mira wrote:
justcrash wrote: Thank you! I don't know about "mega-talented". I've always strove for mediocrity. I've found it's easier to lay and wait for the sick and the elderly to be weeded out if they think I am incompetent. :p
Ha! I bet that's one of those jokes I need to use this expression for: :shock:

But I approve of mediocrity as a goal. It's so....attainable!
Exactly. I also set easy to reach New Years Resolution goals. This year it was to stop eating prunes in milk. 6 months in, and I haven't touched them!