Comfort books

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
Anavaz

Re: Comfort books

Post by Anavaz » January 21st, 2010, 9:14 am

This may not be comfort perse, because it's a long read but I'd say I like to revisit Don Quixote de la Mancha from Miguel de Cervantes. My dad has always said you need to read that book at least 3x in your life, once in your 20's, once in your 40's and then in your 60's. He says everytime you read it you will learn something different. I have 2 reads down, I'm giving it some time to do the third one (seeing as I'm a little ahead of his schedule).

Other books I love to re-read are any of the Bridgerton Series from Julia Quinn or any of the Coulter Series from Catherine Anderson. One that I've read like 8x is Irish Hearts from Nora Roberts, it is a great book for me because it has a female character with a sharp wit and horses, I love horses.

jessicatudor

Post by jessicatudor » February 22nd, 2010, 4:36 pm

I don't reread hardly at all because there are so many new books to get to and because I have a strong memory that makes rereading boring in most cases. The biggest exception is gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson just because it puts me in awe every time. What a solid writer, and funny, and beautiful prose, and big-hearted, well-crafted characters, and that STRUCTURE is just - okay, everyone should read this book. :)
'The world is but canvas to our imaginations.' - Thoreau

dementedtinkerbell

Post by dementedtinkerbell » February 22nd, 2010, 6:13 pm

There are only a a few books I consider to be 'comfort' books. One set is The Belgariad by David Eddings and the other is The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop. Occasionally I'll delve back into Anne McCaffrey or Raymond E. Feist but more often than not, you'll find me with the first two.
Me to my girl: You're grounded until you're dead
Her: You mean 'til you're dead right?
Me: No, I'll enforce it from beyond the grave
Her: *gulp*

Lorelei Armstrong

Post by Lorelei Armstrong » February 22nd, 2010, 11:34 pm

I enjoy regular visits with James Joyce's Ulysses.

Bron

Post by Bron » February 23rd, 2010, 6:33 am

jessicatudor wrote:I don't reread hardly at all because there are so many new books to get to and because I have a strong memory that makes rereading boring in most cases. The biggest exception is gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson just because it puts me in awe every time. What a solid writer, and funny, and beautiful prose, and big-hearted, well-crafted characters, and that STRUCTURE is just - okay, everyone should read this book. :)
Yes! I couldn't agree more. I'm seconding Jessica - everyone get out and read this book.

My comfort reading is Discworld novels btw.

lightelement94

Post by lightelement94 » March 5th, 2010, 7:39 pm

Harry Potter and the anything can make me happy from now until forever. <3
Same goes for To Kill a Mockingbird (all I ask is to be adopted by Atticus, that's all I want), and James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small. It's the book that inspired me to one day be a veterinarian and keeps me in that direction still...
Republic of Lions| bloody brilliant