The Introduction Thread

New member introductions, suggestions for the Forums, questions about posting, and important announcements.
lynnsere

Re: The Introduction Thread

Post by lynnsere » April 20th, 2011, 3:07 pm

My first foray, too, Craig, though I've been a fan of Nathan for some time now. I'm actually published as a children's book writer (mass-market stuff about Winnie the Pooh, Barbie, fuzzy ducklings, fairytale retellings) and I'm trying to break into the YA market (yeah, I know; who isn't?) I live in Connecticut with my husband and two kids, who keep me plenty busy, but I make time to write, so no excuses, Craig! Keep writing! Plug away at it day by day and one morning you'll find yourself with a completed book...
By the way, I'm Lynn.

Voni

Newbie saying Hi

Post by Voni » April 28th, 2011, 4:47 pm

To introduce myself, I always say I am a homeschool mom and a Word Nerd.I have a blog at http://vonildawrites.livejournal.com, and am working on my first novel.

Thanks for such a website. I've already posted a question on the All Things Writing forum, and will probably do the same on the Ask Nathan forum.

Blessings,
Voni

HumorWriter0910

Post by HumorWriter0910 » April 30th, 2011, 11:55 pm

Hey everyone--

Just joined the forums tonight and thought I should introduce myself first so my subsequent attempts at humor don't just result in awkward pauses.

Actually, that'll probably still happen.

Anyway, my name is Ted Fox, and I am indeed a humor writer. I signed with my agent about two months ago and am now working on taking a Twitter feed and turning it into something that can be pitched as a book. I've also written a humor memoir (in the realm of AJ Jacobs' The Know-It-All) that I hope to be able to publish one day.

Look forward to posting with all of you.

Emily White

Post by Emily White » May 9th, 2011, 8:28 pm

Hello, everyone!

I'm actually not a new member, but it's been such a long time since I've visited that I might as well be. :) My name is Emily White, I live close to Niagara Falls, NY, I primarily write YA sci-fi and fantasy, and I'm <i>very</i> excited about my debut novel, ELEMENTAL! And yes, I am self-publishing and proud to admit it, too. I look forward to getting to know you all!
Find out about ELEMENTAL, my YA Space Opera (available June 21, 2011) on my blog and ELEMENTAL's facebook fan page

LibbyHeily

Post by LibbyHeily » May 10th, 2011, 4:48 pm

Hi! My name's Libby. Just thought I'd drop in and say hello. I'm a writer from Virginia. I write mostly plays and screenplays but am working on my first novel. Wish me luck!

Libby

Down the well

Post by Down the well » May 11th, 2011, 10:57 pm

LibbyHeily wrote:Hi! My name's Libby. Just thought I'd drop in and say hello. I'm a writer from Virginia. I write mostly plays and screenplays but am working on my first novel. Wish me luck!

Libby
Welcome to the forum, Libby. Good to see you here!!

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » May 12th, 2011, 12:31 pm

LibbyHeily wrote:Hi! My name's Libby. Just thought I'd drop in and say hello. I'm a writer from Virginia. I write mostly plays and screenplays but am working on my first novel. Wish me luck!

Libby
Welcome Libby!

You know, I don't think we get very many topics over on the Writing folder on plays and screenplays. You should come over and talk about your experience writing them. I took a screenwriting class in college and I found it to be very, very different (and harder for me) than novel writing.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » May 16th, 2011, 1:36 pm

Hey y’all,

I missed me, I hope I missed y’all too (that sounded so much better in my head. Reverse…no turn that sideways…or inside out…ah crap why dwell).

I was stuck in the gravity well of real life for a while and I had to let my human work through crap he won’t let me talk about (nothing bad or particularly juicy, just crap). The good news is that I’m all set to send out my first query this evening (I figger Tuesday is the best day submit, but the brain don’t gotta be right to be logical). Now that I’ve reached a benchmark, hopefully I can spend more time sharpening my skills and swapping ideas with y’all.

I see there are a lot of new members – very cool, and welcome.

SOMMER! – I knew I’d be seeing you in green when I finally made it back. Congrats.

I just wanted to say hey before I got back to making a nuisance of myself. >:}

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » May 16th, 2011, 1:44 pm

Watcher55 wrote:Hey y’all,

I missed me, I hope I missed y’all too (that sounded so much better in my head. Reverse…no turn that sideways…or inside out…ah crap why dwell).

I was stuck in the gravity well of real life for a while and I had to let my human work through crap he won’t let me talk about (nothing bad or particularly juicy, just crap). The good news is that I’m all set to send out my first query this evening (I figger Tuesday is the best day submit, but the brain don’t gotta be right to be logical). Now that I’ve reached a benchmark, hopefully I can spend more time sharpening my skills and swapping ideas with y’all.

I see there are a lot of new members – very cool, and welcome.

SOMMER! – I knew I’d be seeing you in green when I finally made it back. Congrats.

I just wanted to say hey before I got back to making a nuisance of myself. >:}

WATCHER!!!!! I've missed you! I'm so glad you're back. Don't go away again ok?

medussa74

Post by medussa74 » May 19th, 2011, 11:12 pm

Hello all...

I've been playing around with writing for years and years and years. I've published nothing. Before now, I didn't attempt it. Hell, before now, I never seriously considered it. I loved to write, but I wasn't in love with it. The little stories I wrote where for my own amusement, and I was content in being "good friends" with my writing.

Then my life changed drastically. Drastically enough that for the longest time I felt like I had literally died and somehow taken over someone else's life. That took a bit of adjustment, to say the least. I no longer had the time for my writing affair. Writing was the last thought on my mind. After I became settled, however, and I realized that I had not so much as written a single sentence, I suddenly missed it. I finally understood how much my writing was a part of me. There was only one thing I could do at that point. I had to commit.

Like most everyone else here, my goal is publication. More important, however, is that I develop what skill I have, to tell the best story I can. Money is secondary--I already have a soul-draining job that pays my bills. But, hey, I'm not going to complain if I actually manage to make some!

So that is where I am at this point in my life. I look forward to getting to know and learning from the rest of you!

Margo

Post by Margo » May 20th, 2011, 12:08 am

Welcome to the party, medussa!
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Mira

Post by Mira » May 20th, 2011, 12:53 am

Hi Medusa - welcome!

Like your name. :)

HBRains

Post by HBRains » May 24th, 2011, 12:59 pm

Hi, I'm H. B. Rains, My novella is for sale now on my website. I copyrighted it. I had it produced and now I am selling it via hbrains.com, or earthsmedicine2012.com, or earthsmedicine.biz, or earthsmedicine2012.info. I managed to get a paypal button activated so credit cards can be used to purchase Earth's Medicine 2012. I know this is out of the ordinary, but I finished it and gave up on getting an agent. Agents, editors, and publishers can solicite my work from my websites. My book is not available on e-book and is only available in a signed paperback edition at this time.

I don't know exactly what genre it is, except that it is a novella dealing with one woman's perception of life, love, loss, the future end of life on earth for most of humanity, and the meaning of it all.
Subtitled: The Strange Things That Happened While The Universe Ate Blueberries.

This is NOT A BOOK FOR CHILDREN. It's protagonist is mentally and emotionally unstable, and her delusions prove true as the story plays out.

I love this blog. I can see that much hard work goes into it's creation and I love that writers/authors... give priceless advice with humor attached to persons they don't even know for free.
Thanks to all.
HBRains

bighockeyhair

Post by bighockeyhair » June 1st, 2011, 5:01 pm

Hi all,

I'm a thriller writer currently working on my 2rd novel. I'm still unpublished, but soldiering on. Nathan's website is a great asset and I'm thrilled I found it.

Best,
BHH
Horror thriller author
My debut novel Malice is now available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Malice-ebook/dp/B005QCC122

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » June 1st, 2011, 7:53 pm

bighockeyhair wrote:Hi all,

I'm a thriller writer currently working on my 2rd novel. I'm still unpublished, but soldiering on. Nathan's website is a great asset and I'm thrilled I found it.

Best,
BHH
Welcome to the forums BHH! You'll find a lot of help here. Everyone is very nice or else. :-)