Not Cool Enough for Social Networking?

Blogs, Facebook, Twitter, and promoting your book on the Internet
maybegenius

Re: Not Cool Enough for Social Networking?

Post by maybegenius » May 12th, 2011, 1:18 pm

A lot of people won't Like a page/company on Facebook because they're wary of advertising. When you Like a page on Facebook, even if you're interested, you potentially open yourself up to a lot of new posts clogging up your feed. So even if a person wants more information, they'll skip Liking the page and go directly to the source to have their questions answered. Seems like a weird attitude, but honestly one of the very tip-top reasons for people not to follow or to stop following someone on social media is because they feel the person posts too often and/or is too salesy. It's really not about, "Oh, I'm just not in a 'Liking mood' today." It's more of a "I'm interested in this but I'm not sure if I want these updates in my feed" kind of attitude. Also, in the case of Facebook fan pages, a lot of people are honestly on the lookout for free deals. Do they get something special if they Like a page? No? Oh well. Sad but true.

Anyway. Back to Sierra: I'm sorry, I'm not really sure if we can give you the answers we're looking for. Your original question pertained to blogging and feeling like no one is listening, which is a totally natural feeling to have. However, it seems that's morphed into looking for answers as to why you can't easily make friends, and I don't think anyone here can answer that for you. I genuinely wish you the best of luck in finding your answers, though! Try to enjoy blogging as best you can. If you're not enjoying it, it may not be for you.
aka S.E. Sinkhorn, or Steph

My Blog | My Twitter | YA!Flash Tumblr

Represented by Michelle Andelman of Regal Literary

Guardian

Post by Guardian » May 12th, 2011, 2:25 pm

Seems like a weird attitude, but honestly one of the very tip-top reasons for people not to follow or to stop following someone on social media is because they feel the person posts too often and/or is too salesy.
Thanks for poining that out. I forgot this perspective, but you're right. That's another reason.
Try to enjoy blogging as best you can.
That's another good point. If you can't enjoy it, don't expect others to enjoy it.

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » May 13th, 2011, 12:45 pm

maybegenius wrote:Anyway. Back to Sierra: However, it seems that's morphed into looking for answers as to why you can't easily make friends, and I don't think anyone here can answer that for you.
It only morphed to that because you said I was mentally unstable and needed therapy and I felt attacked and like I needed to defend myself. Anyone would have felt like defending themselves if they came from the same background I did.

But since it has been a few days I've calmed down. I'm not going to fight about it.
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

maybegenius

Post by maybegenius » May 13th, 2011, 12:51 pm

Woah, I absolutely did NOT say that. I suggested that you talk to someone because I thought it would be genuinely helpful. Many people talk to counselors for personal issues that are NOT related to mental instability, myself included. I apologize if you thought I was slagging you, because that was 100% not my intention.

Sorry. Clearly we're having some miscommunication, so I'll bow out.
aka S.E. Sinkhorn, or Steph

My Blog | My Twitter | YA!Flash Tumblr

Represented by Michelle Andelman of Regal Literary