What Do You Write For?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Fenris

Re: What Do You Write For?

Post by Fenris » April 22nd, 2011, 1:04 pm

You bring up a very good point, Rosie. Once we hit the publication stage, it's starting to become more about the money. But by then, we've stopped writing that project and moved on to the next, or to the sequel. Revisions are done (hopefully), as are rewrites. So once we've reached that stage, we're done writing (again, only for that project). But the motivation to begin writing, that's where the differences lie. Some, like us, write for fun. Some write because they have a message to send. Some write because they have a story to tell. Others write because they have a story to sell. We make our choices at the diving board--once we've jumped, there's only one way to go. After that, it's about making the biggest splash possible once we hit the water.
Hi, my name's Fenris. I'm a thousand-year-old monster who's broken free to destroy the world. Your kids will love me!

Mike Dickson

Post by Mike Dickson » April 22nd, 2011, 3:43 pm

I write what I'd like to read, but can't find anywhere else.

wordranger

Post by wordranger » April 22nd, 2011, 8:56 pm

I write to keep my sanity. It's a crazy world out there. I need my nutty princes running around trying to kill my poor innocent little Main Character.

It gives me focus, and grounds me. No matter what happens in the real world, I know my MC has it worse, because someone is about to sick a giant man-eating snake on him. Yeah, it makes those bills not sound so bad anymore.

Really, writing is fun, and as others said, it's addictive. No one can understand unless they've done it themselves. Once you've created something... a world all your own... Then you can relate.
Words are your friend.
Don't be afraid to lose yourself in them.

Jennifer Eaton, WordRanger
My Novelette LAST WINTER RED will be published by J. Taylor Publishing in December, 2012

Take a Step into My World and Learn From My Mistakes http://www.jennifermeaton.com/

Fenris

Post by Fenris » April 23rd, 2011, 12:27 pm

Mike Dickson wrote:I write what I'd like to read, but can't find anywhere else.
A wonderful way to put it. And I suppose in this case it's like killing two birds with one stone, eh?
wordranger wrote:No matter what happens in the real world, I know my MC has it worse, because someone is about to sick a giant man-eating snake on him.
Exactly. Sometimes I start to feel bad for mine, but then life decides to punch me again and lo and behold, here comes another horde of monsters with their eyes set on MCloaf for dinner.
Hi, my name's Fenris. I'm a thousand-year-old monster who's broken free to destroy the world. Your kids will love me!

chvyg80

Post by chvyg80 » April 25th, 2011, 4:22 am

Fenris wrote:Well, I too have some experience with His sense of humor. And actually, I have a question related to this. What is your take on putting God into books? I myself don't see any harm in it, but I wonder if I'll lose readers (read: atheists) because of it. Granted, it is a fantasy novel, but some of the more hardcore atheists won't tolerate His appearances no matter where they are (believe me, I know this from experience).
As an atheist, I personally have nothing against anyone's preference of putting their god in their book. Most people that are totally against it aren't necessarily athiest, but more anti-thiest (yes there's a difference). If God is in a book, I can look past it, and if I can't...I won't read it.

I personally write for the exact same reason I read; for pleasure, and to have some place to escape. As a mother of two, and wife with a full time job, sometimes I need to get away. I lost that years ago, when I had my first child. Only recently did I rediscover my passion for writing. It's something I've always done, whether it's writing poetry, my thoughts or making up totally fictional worlds. It's a great escape, and I only dream that one day I can share it with the other's who would like to read my musings...lol. And if I can get paid for it, well that'll be a bonus. :)

Chavone
Chavone
"The pains and struggles of my past are what has made me the beautiful person I am today"

Fenris

Post by Fenris » April 25th, 2011, 1:05 pm

chvyg80 wrote:Most people that are totally against it aren't necessarily athiest, but more anti-thiest (yes there's a difference).
You're right, there is a difference, and I think your term "anti-theist" captures it better than my "hardcore atheist." Looking back at my earlier post I think I could have put it better, so I apologize if it came across as rude.

I'm glad you can find time to write. Even if it's only a moment or two at a time, those moments will add up to something extraordinary in the end.

chvyg80

Post by chvyg80 » April 25th, 2011, 1:25 pm

Fenris wrote:
chvyg80 wrote:Most people that are totally against it aren't necessarily athiest, but more anti-thiest (yes there's a difference).
You're right, there is a difference, and I think your term "anti-theist" captures it better than my "hardcore atheist." Looking back at my earlier post I think I could have put it better, so I apologize if it came across as rude.
You didn't come off as rude at all ;) I just find a lot of people don't know the difference between the two, so they lump them all together as 'atheist'. They also tend to put agnostic in the same grouping, which I feel is different as well (I was agnostic for a long time).

Chavone
Chavone
"The pains and struggles of my past are what has made me the beautiful person I am today"

Fenris

Post by Fenris » April 25th, 2011, 1:44 pm

chvyg80 wrote:They also tend to put agnostic in the same grouping, which I feel is different as well (I was agnostic for a long time).
Well, from what I've heard (which may be wrong), atheists simply do not believe in God, but agnostics are kind of on the fence and might be willing to believe if someone is able to prove to them that He exists. My MC is this version of agnostic, which I've found fits him rather well.

chvyg80

Post by chvyg80 » April 25th, 2011, 1:55 pm

Fenris wrote:Well, from what I've heard (which may be wrong), atheists simply do not believe in God, but agnostics are kind of on the fence and might be willing to believe if someone is able to prove to them that He exists. My MC is this version of agnostic, which I've found fits him rather well.
You have hit it right on the head, since I was never able to be convinced...I finally decided to stop struggling with myself over it. Yes as an atheist I don't believe in god (I don't believe in the devil either). It sounds like your character feels how I felt through most of my twenties. IMO..anti-theist not only believes there's no god, but they will also try to convince you otherwise. I think it's great that some have the necessary faith to believe, and believe that religion serves a good purpose for those who do.

BTW...I'm sorry if it seems we've hijacked this thread to anyone that may be offended.

Chavone
Chavone

Fenris

Post by Fenris » April 25th, 2011, 2:28 pm

chvyg80 wrote:BTW...I'm sorry if it seems we've hijacked this thread to anyone that may be offended.
Not a problem, we'll just steer it back!

So one reason I like having Christian themes and characters in my writing is so that I can explore my beliefs through my characters--kind of a variation of inner demons, though obviously this is the reverse. It helps that the lone Christian character in my WIP is a lot like me: he thinks like me and sometimes acts like me (though I have taken steps to avoid the Author Avatar), so if I put him in a situation that challenges his faith it's almost like challenging mine, and we find a way through together. Even if, in reality, this is all taking place in my head and therefore arguably subject to bias, it's still comforting to know that no obstacle is too large to overcome.

That's the "inner demons" part of why I write. But I also write for fun. I like to watch as my characters bounce off one another and observe how they react to their surroundings and whatever harrowing situation I happen to have dropped them into. It's an escape, and while some might argue such things are unhealthy, I'd say their argument stems from "too much of a good thing." Last but not least, I write because I have a story to tell. Even if in the end I'm the only one who enjoys it, it'll still have been worth it to me.

But I am not the only one who writes! We've had a few people share their opinions here already, but what about the others? Do you write to express yourself? To satisfy an urge or a need? Do you use writing as an outlet, whether for creativity or for stress, or simply idle thoughts? For every person there is a different perspective. What's yours?

Cookie

Post by Cookie » April 26th, 2011, 2:42 pm

Fenris wrote:
So one reason I like having Christian themes and characters in my writing is so that I can explore my beliefs through my characters--kind of a variation of inner demons.
I like to explore those themes (and all religious themes) too, but I like making up my own gods to do it. You can get away with more doing it that way. I actually like to blame all the shortcomings of my gods on man. So its kinda like humanity is influencing the gods and not vice versa.

Fenris

Post by Fenris » April 26th, 2011, 5:01 pm

Cookie wrote:So its kinda like humanity is influencing the gods and not vice versa.
That's an interesting reversal. I suppose it could be explained by that trope that Gods Need Prayer Badly, so are willing to change to suit the humans in order to receive worship, though there are certainly other ways of accomplishing the same thing.

Cookie

Post by Cookie » April 27th, 2011, 10:03 am

Fenris wrote:
Cookie wrote:So its kinda like humanity is influencing the gods and not vice versa.
That's an interesting reversal. I suppose it could be explained by that trope that Gods Need Prayer Badly, so are willing to change to suit the humans in order to receive worship, though there are certainly other ways of accomplishing the same thing.
That, and all their vices are attributed to humans. For instance, one is an alcoholic, but he never would have drank if humans didn't give him liquor as offerings. They wouldn't have started a war if the humans didn't create the concept of war.
Stuff like that.

Fenris

Post by Fenris » April 27th, 2011, 12:31 pm

Cookie wrote:That, and all their vices are attributed to humans. For instance, one is an alcoholic, but he never would have drank if humans didn't give him liquor as offerings. They wouldn't have started a war if the humans didn't create the concept of war.
Stuff like that.
Interesting...so humans make their own gods fallible. Well, I look forward to seeing where you go with that!

Cookie

Post by Cookie » April 27th, 2011, 12:59 pm

Fenris wrote:
Cookie wrote:That, and all their vices are attributed to humans. For instance, one is an alcoholic, but he never would have drank if humans didn't give him liquor as offerings. They wouldn't have started a war if the humans didn't create the concept of war.
Stuff like that.
Interesting...so humans make their own gods fallible. Well, I look forward to seeing where you go with that!
Yes! Exactly!