Sharing plot ideas that you couldn't/wouldn't write yourself

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
rosepetal720

Re: Sharing novel ideas (that you couldn't write yourself) ?

Post by rosepetal720 » April 19th, 2011, 12:51 pm

SmurfHead wrote: Guess that novel about Cleopatra's sister is going to stay unwritten (at least by me).
That's been done twice already, FYI: "Cleopatra's Daughter" and "Lily of the Nile."

I had an idea for a book that I started to spread around because I wasn't going to use it, but then years later the idea settled and became my own. I'm definitely going to write it. Now I think twice before giving away ideas.

However, I think it's super generous of people not to grasp onto ideas they won't use when other people could benefit from them.

I do have one idea I won't use, though: Atlantis. I don't know if anyone's written about Atlantis, but someone should.
Author of Sacred Fire, a historical fiction of the Vestal Virgins of Rome.
http://teralynpilgrim.blogspot.com/

BransfordGroupie

Re: Sharing plot ideas that you couldn't/wouldn't write yourself

Post by BransfordGroupie » April 20th, 2011, 2:22 am

BetweenTwoWorlds wrote:Oh, there are so many good ideas here. I don't even want to talk about them, but you've given me the idea for what could easily be a longish short-story, if not a series.

Thanks for the free idea! :)
Oh come on! Share! Which one? I know, I know, you're going to write about how Cleo found her recently separated alien twin whilst rewriting the bible???
REVELATION: The Book of Angel - First draft complete :-)
Facebook

JohnDurvin

Post by JohnDurvin » April 23rd, 2011, 12:16 am

Now that I think about it, I have these all the time, except it's not things that I don't have time for, it's things that are too ridiculous for novels. (Most end up becoming in-story comic books, video games, etc.) The most recent one was when I saw a copy of "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" and thought about how it doesn't make much sense to use Lincoln; it should have been Teddy Roosevelt. The man got shot in the chest during a speech, and then finished the speech. He could totally take on a vampire.
Another one was an expanded universe for "Pere Ubu", crossing over with other things. If you're not familiar with Ubu, he's from an early Absurdist play from the 1900's (or so), inspired by Mr. Punch of the Punch & Judy shows with shades of Gargantua and Pantagruel--in modern pop-culture terms, he's a cross between Peter Griffin and Johnny the Homicidal Maniac. When I was in college, I made a movie in which he battled Dracula and Godzilla (I played all three, as well as Vladimir & Estragon, two video game bosses, Bjork, and R2-D2). Now I'm invisioning a sort of expanded-universe thing, with Ubu combating Disco Rasputin, Cyborg Dracula, super-strong Eva Brawn [sic] and the Brain of Hitler, the League of Public Domain Villains, and so on. If I had the time and know-how, this could be a web-comic, but I just don't think it's ever going to get to that stage. "Ubu Unleashed" will probably wind up an indy comic read by the hipster kids in my currently-paused YA cosmic horror WIP.
And finally, what if a guy with Ausperger's had control of the weather? He'd follow statistics perfectly--if they predicted 70% chance of rain, it would rain 70% of the day.
Everybody loves using things as other things, right? Check out my blog at the Cromulent Bricoleur and see one hipster's approach to recycling, upcycling, and alterna-cycling (which is a word I just made up).

charlotte49ers

Post by charlotte49ers » April 23rd, 2011, 10:22 pm

My current WIP was a topic given to me by my bud, Regan (ReganLeigh on here). She sent me an article and said it would make a great story, but she didn't think she wanted to do it, so The Devil's Utopia was born! Well, that's what it's called right now, anyway. :D

ShadowFlame

Post by ShadowFlame » April 28th, 2011, 11:59 am

The twin idea sounds really good,i have a ton of ideas that i came across but never wrote...maybe i'll post them if i can dig them up from memories,paper and word docs
WIPs-
WIP 1-On 2nd draft
WIP 2-On first Draft
Wip 3-On first draft