I'm moving out!

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
sierramcconnell

Re: I'm moving out!

Post by sierramcconnell » April 15th, 2011, 11:15 am

Sommer Leigh wrote:
Margo wrote:
Sommer Leigh wrote:One last piece of advice: Get something you can use for protection.
Bullmastiff. Check. (They're also guy magnets.)
Bonus!
Breed Restrictions Apply - No More than 35 lbs.

I can't find the list right now...but I think that was one of them, so was Golden Retriever (sad, I wanted one to name Gabriel), anything with Pit or Bull, German Shepherd, and other larger breed dogs at the discretion of the leaseholder.

Basically, Medium\Small doggies or cats. I want a cat, but am allergic. I wonder if I can get one of those non-allergic cats now. O_O
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

Cookie

Post by Cookie » April 15th, 2011, 11:28 am

Well, small dogs can be really noisy, which can be a good or a bad thing. Maybe find a little dog that sounds big, to scare off the ninjas? Although, I doubt a dog would deter a ninja.

Oh, also--cleaning supplies! You don't need to go crazy buying them, but a good thing to do before you move everything in is to clean it. I know the landlord will clean it in between tenets, but you never know. Also, check for bed bugs. Seriously. There is a huge breakout right now. Those little buggers will hide anywhere.

Margo

Post by Margo » April 15th, 2011, 11:30 am

sierramcconnell wrote:Breed Restrictions Apply - No More than 35 lbs.
Very common. I was unspeakably lucky to find two places that would let me have a bullmastiff, and one of them was my first choice. (Repeatedly explaining to my neighbors that he's not a pitbull or a related breed is another matter - h.e.a.d.a.c.h.e. Idiots.)
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » April 15th, 2011, 11:33 am

Cookie wrote:Well, small dogs can be really noisy, which can be a good or a bad thing. Maybe find a little dog that sounds big, to scare off the ninjas? Although, I doubt a dog would deter a ninja.

Oh, also--cleaning supplies! You don't need to go crazy buying them, but a good thing to do before you move everything in is to clean it. I know the landlord will clean it in between tenets, but you never know. Also, check for bed bugs. Seriously. There is a huge breakout right now. Those little buggers will hide anywhere.
Yeah, I had a chihuahua that barked at EVERYTHING. And one that barks at everyONE because she's not socialized. Little yappy dogs, I think it what they call them. XD

When I went by yesterday they had professional carpet cleaners there. I will get some cleaning supplies though. Windex and Clorox wipes and stuff.
Margo wrote:
sierramcconnell wrote:Breed Restrictions Apply - No More than 35 lbs.
Very common. I was unspeakably lucky to find two places that would let me have a bullmastiff, and one of them was my first choice. (Repeatedly explaining to my neighbors that he's not a pitbull or a related breed is another matter - h.e.a.d.a.c.h.e. Idiots.)
LOL. I love pitties anyway. They're the most lovable little things in the world. And loyal as all get out.
I'm on Tumblr!

Margo

Post by Margo » April 15th, 2011, 11:34 am

Cookie wrote:Although, I doubt a dog would deter a ninja.

Oh, a bullmastiff totally would. They hardly ever bark. They are sneaky. They used to sneak up behind poachers and JUMP on them and hold them down until the gameskeepers got there. LOL. Yeah, I think about that when my crabby neighbors who are paranoid about my dog being a pitbull are woken up at 5am by another neighbor's yippy chihuahua while my bullmastiff snores softly at the foot of my bed.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Collectonian

Post by Collectonian » April 15th, 2011, 12:06 pm

Perhaps a Cocker Spaniel? They generally get to 30-35 lbs. We had one when I was a teen and she was a terrific guard dog. Knew the difference between guest and stranger, and had no qualms about facing down someone she saw as a threat. Shelties and border collies also are great choices,though borders are HIGH energy, so you'd have to do a lot of walking. Most terrier breeds are good and many stay under the 30-35 lb mark.

Could also get a hairless cat :-D (they are so ugly they are cute)

Cookie

Post by Cookie » April 15th, 2011, 12:37 pm

sierramcconnell wrote:Windex and Clorox wipes and stuff.
Yea, those are great! Also a scrub of some sort for the bathtub. Comet, or Softscrub. Both work equally well.
Oh, a bullmastiff totally would. They hardly ever bark. They are sneaky.
Bullmastiffs, ninjas of the dog world.

Claudie

Post by Claudie » April 15th, 2011, 2:38 pm

Ok, I'm not good with dog races so I can't participate in that dicussion. In my house there's only ever been cats and hamsters. Not complaining.

Anyway, congratz on moving out, sierra! I feel your excitement. I'm doing the same thing this summer. Moving out from mom's house == adventure. At least for a month. I bet after that I'll be tired of it, ah! ;)

So yeah. GOOD LUCK!

And Margo, that survival box is an excellent idea. O.o
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

hektorkarl

Post by hektorkarl » April 16th, 2011, 5:20 pm

Moving advice I give to everyone, but it applies double for people on a book forum:

Pack books (or anything heavy, really) in small boxes that are easy to carry. It will save your back and make the moving much less unpleasant (even if it takes a few more trips up the stairs to unload).

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » April 16th, 2011, 6:30 pm

hektorkarl wrote:Moving advice I give to everyone, but it applies double for people on a book forum:

Pack books (or anything heavy, really) in small boxes that are easy to carry. It will save your back and make the moving much less unpleasant (even if it takes a few more trips up the stairs to unload).
OMG I am finding that I have so many books (esp hardbound) and that paperboxes, I loves them. And mixing books with plush\blankets\softies are good, but they are still hella heavy.

All those years of emotional torment were for paying for the day I had to move and get people to help. XD
I'm on Tumblr!

Cookie

Post by Cookie » April 16th, 2011, 9:21 pm

sierramcconnell wrote:
OMG I am finding that I have so many books (esp hardbound) and that paperboxes, I loves them.
Paper boxes are perfect for books. Also, oddly enough, beer cases (the ones that carry bottles, not cans). Similar designs.

Dankrubis

Post by Dankrubis » April 19th, 2011, 5:42 pm

Heh, I remember the first place I moved into and didn't have a roommate. I slowly walked the tiny apartment and pointed at stuff-

That's my cabinet.

I can put anything I want on that wall.

The oven is solely in my domain.

Who's sink is that? Oh yeah, MINE.

Well, none of that was true, it was an apartment, but still, awesome feeling. On your first night there I suggest music and a bottle of wine, all by yourself.

Enjoy!