Earthquakes

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Holly

Earthquakes

Post by Holly » March 12th, 2011, 11:18 pm

First of all, my heart goes out to the Japanese people.

The earthquakes have been moving around the Pacific Rim -- Chile, New Zealand (two big ones a few months apart), the Philippines, and now Japan, plus a Hawaiian volcano is erupting.

You folks in San Francisco and the West Coast stay safe. Seriously, pack a suitcase and get out of there if warning signs show up.

HillaryJ

Re: Earthquakes

Post by HillaryJ » March 13th, 2011, 12:18 am

Which warning signs would these be?
Blog http://www.hillaryjacques.blogspot.com
Twitter http://www.twitter.com/hillaryjacques
CARNIEPUNK - http://books.simonandschuster.com/Carni ... 1476714158
as Regan Summers - The Night Runner series from Carina Press

Guardian

Post by Guardian » March 13th, 2011, 6:14 am

Earthquakes may occur anywhere, anytime without warning. But I must agree with Holly as there is a pattern in the recent earthquakes. But there are multiple patterns not just one as it's happening all around the world and not just in the Pacific region. But the MSM won't tell you any of this, because some idiot believes if they put their head and ours into the sand, events like this simply won't happen or people won't know about it. But many strange earthquakes have happened recently. i.e. my home town, Budapest and it's region was struck by a nice 4.8 on 29 January, 2011. The only problem with this; my native country never was famous about earthquakes as Central Europe is presumably the safest region on the planet. Yet we also had a greater earthquake in this year. A 4.8 is not a great one at other places, but it's highly-highly unusual in Central Europe.
First of all, my heart goes out to the Japanese people.
+1. The Japanese people are one of the best friends of my people. It's really sad to see what is happened with them.
Last edited by Guardian on March 14th, 2011, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew MacNish

Post by Matthew MacNish » March 14th, 2011, 6:50 am

As far as I know there are no warning signs for earthquakes (other than the P and S waves that can be detected moments beforehand) but I did find this article below a bit interesting:

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2 ... l-disaster

Margo

Post by Margo » March 14th, 2011, 4:53 pm

Earthquakes that don't appear along fault lines (intraplate, I believe is the term) are an interesting topic I was researching, and the comment about them happening anywhere reminded me. Some good non-fiction reading.

In general, we Californians don't stress about quakes, especially if we live in the inland area or the Central Valley (the poor crunchy raisin-flavored center of California). Most have been through several in our lives, and it's kind of strange to me when I hear someone speaking of quakes with fear, since most of them are totally anti-climactic. It shouldn't be strange to me, though, because we freak out about the occasional tornado or ice storm, and people in the areas that get those all the time probably think we're wussies about that.

I suspect I would feel different if I lived in Japan or Hawaii or New Zealand. I am so heartbroken for the people of Japan and really glad the few people I knew in Hawaii were okay, though one was evacuated and ended up homeless and sleepless for about 30 hours. I heard the damage in Santa Cruz was bad, lots of dock and boat damage, but no loss of life that I know of. I'm so thankful we had the warning we did for Hawaii and the West Coast. It was a little strange for me being in Wisconsin while all this was going on, knowing my friends were back in the Central Valley, but we have a range of coastal mountains protecting us. If anything could ever get past those, though, the state would have a huge inland swimming pool and no food (we grow about a third of the food for the USA in this valley - most fertile in the world, for now anyway). The valley spans 8 counties, from state capital Sacramento to the oil country of Bakersfield north of the LA Basin.

I'm sure that's more than anyone wanted to know, but I ramble when I'm tired.

Fingers still crossed for Japan saving the power facilities and avoiding meltdowns. I have a friend who almost got called up for service in a civilian disaster surgical unit when Haiti got hit. Amazing how they can condense a whole hospital into a couple of pallets. I shall have to ask if she's been out on alert to assist Japan. I really want us (the rest of the world) to get in there asap with as much help as we can. Rescue teams to search for survivors - still doing that I hope? Engineers for the meltdown situation. Evacuation transport if necessary. Relief supplies.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Mira

Post by Mira » March 14th, 2011, 9:18 pm

Thanks for the good wishes, Holly! :)

Yes, it's called the Ring of Fire: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Ring_of_Fire

Countries all along the Pacific ring - they are being hit in a northern moving direction, so far.

I live directly on the Ring of Fire, but what can you do? You have to live your life, hope for the best and handle things when and if they happen. Hopefully, they won't happen, but if they do, you'll do the best you can to handle it. Right?

And my heart and thoughts definitely go out to those in Japan and Chile who are handling it, right now.