Anyone here write literary fiction?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
writeitsideways

Anyone here write literary fiction?

Post by writeitsideways » January 15th, 2010, 7:38 am

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone here writes literary fiction, or mainstream literary. I've been reading through the forums, but it seems like most members are writing genre.

Anybody?

Thanks,

Suzannah
http://www.writeitsideways.com

THB

Re: Anyone here write literary fiction?

Post by THB » January 15th, 2010, 7:44 am

Yes! That's what I'm working on now. And it does seem tougher to find forums, blogs, etc. that focus on literary/mainstream.

writeitsideways

Post by writeitsideways » January 15th, 2010, 7:51 am

THB wrote:Yes! That's what I'm working on now. And it does seem tougher to find forums, blogs, etc. that focus on literary/mainstream.
Good to find you! Surely there must be more lurking around ..

I read through all the query critiques, but didn't end up commenting because I don't feel like I know enough about genre fiction to give any helpful advice.

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » January 15th, 2010, 9:09 am

Oh, we's a lurking. I'm sort of a multi-genre fellow myself, but always happy to talk Lit. If you put Lit discussion up I'm sure you'll get a few biters. Especially if the bait is good...

:)
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

writeitsideways

Post by writeitsideways » January 15th, 2010, 9:59 am

Ink wrote:Oh, we's a lurking. I'm sort of a multi-genre fellow myself, but always happy to talk Lit. If you put Lit discussion up I'm sure you'll get a few biters. Especially if the bait is good...

:)
I might just do that :)

And I noticed, somewhere in one of these threads, you mention that you're Canadian. So am I (Thunder Bay), but I've been living in Australia for the last 3 years. Nice to see a country mate here.

matt mc

Post by matt mc » January 15th, 2010, 10:36 am

You're right; it's very hard to find good info about literary fiction.
Last edited by matt mc on January 29th, 2010, 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » January 15th, 2010, 2:24 pm

Yup, I'm a fellow Canuckian. Thunder Bay is too cold, though. I'm down in balmy Windsor, Ontario. Well, okay, it's not balmy. "Less frigid" would be more apt. It's a big selling point down here. "Hey, come on down, we're less frigid!"

writeitsideways

Post by writeitsideways » January 15th, 2010, 2:40 pm

I went to university in Windsor! It does get hot there in the summer though--very humid. Although, not as hot as Australia ;)

Small world.

Sanna44

Post by Sanna44 » January 15th, 2010, 4:50 pm

Yup. I do. And we share a name, but I spell it "Susannah."

I'm new to this blogging thing. How can we help each other?

polymath

Post by polymath » January 15th, 2010, 5:26 pm

I too am a fanatic for literary fiction. Has the world turned and literary movements are now the grumpy stepchildren of literature? Or are literary movements as strong as ever?
Spread the love of written word.

marilyn peake

Post by marilyn peake » January 15th, 2010, 5:28 pm

I love reading literary fiction. It's probably my favorite genre to read. So far, I've written mostly science fiction and fantasy, but often with literary style sentence structure. An example is a short story entitled "Bright Moon" that I wrote, published on a Blog recommended by Nathan: http://bigglasscases.blogspot.com/2009/ ... -moon.html
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » January 15th, 2010, 5:32 pm

And from my experience, literary writers are far less likely to congregate online than genre writers. Now, that experience of mine is utterly subjective and anecdotal, but I've found it holds pretty true in all the writing places I've been. Genre writers seem more into the community thing (Cons, forums, blogs, etc.), whereas the literary writers (and these are subjective averages, to which there will always be exceptions - and possibly numerous ones) seem more inclined to go it alone. Or, if they do congregate, they do so more in writers' workshops and creative writing programs.

Just my sense of things.

And, yup, it's a small world. When were you at school in Windsor?

writeitsideways

Post by writeitsideways » January 15th, 2010, 6:32 pm

@matt mc: Nice to meet you :)

@Sanna44: Another Susannah/Suzannah?? Awesome :) I've been blogging for a while, but if you're looking to get some great advice, I took Leo Babauta's blogging bootcamp a few months back and it's made a huge difference to the quality of my site. I really recommend it.

@polymath: I think literary is giving way to mainstream literary, which is fine. People are so busy these days, we can't necessarily get away with the same writing styles as the classics. That's okay though, times change :)

@Marilyn: Glad to find you, too! I'll have to check out the site you recommend, and your story.

@Ink: I think you're right about literary writers more often going it alone. I used to be okay with that, but it would be nice to connect with a few like-minded folks as well. Oh, and I was at uni in Windsor from '99 until '01, taking a degree in English lit.

Thanks all!
Suzannah
http://www.writeitsideways.com

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » January 15th, 2010, 6:46 pm

Lol, writeitsideways, it really is a small world... I was at the U of Windsor getting a BA in English and Creative Writing from '96-'00, and then an MA in English and Creative Writing from '00-'02. I could have tripped over you in the halls. Or maybe you would have tripped over me, as I was one of those long-haired kids lazing around...

writeitsideways

Post by writeitsideways » January 15th, 2010, 7:03 pm

@Ink

That's crazy! I always laugh when I say I'm from Canada and people say, "Do you know so-and-so?" But apparently it's a small country after all!

Did you ever have Dr. Jenstad as a prof? I took all her renaissance drama classes. She was my favourite. I haven't been back there since '02, and all my uni friends are long gone by now. But oh, the memories ;)