Comfort books

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
Mira

Comfort books

Post by Mira » December 21st, 2009, 10:03 am

During the holiday time, I love to snuggle up and read comfort books. It's raining and cold, and it's perfect to re-visit an old friend or a new one that makes me feel cozy and comfortable.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm about to run out of my current pile. I just finished re-reading Harry Potter. Does anyone have a book they just love to read or re-read?

charity_bradford

Re: Comfort books

Post by charity_bradford » December 21st, 2009, 10:53 pm

These are my all time favorites that I can read over and over any time.

Anne of Green Gables (1st one)
Rilla (Book 8 of the above series)
Beauty by Robin McKinley
Spindles End by Robin Mckinley
Seven Daughters and Seven Sons by Barbara Cohen, Bahija Lovejoy
Rebecca by Daphne de Maurier
Anything by Jane Austen

Most of these are really quick reads which are great for the holidays. I also enjoyed the series by Nancy E. Turner that started with "These is My Words". Good luck hope you find lots to enjoy!
If you are a mother and a writer you have to make the time to write. No one is going to give it to you.
http://charitywrites.blogspot.com/

Mira

Post by Mira » December 22nd, 2009, 10:37 am

These are great, thanks much!

Have you read some of the other books by L.M. Montgomery? I love the Emily series, since it's about a writer, and is semi-autobiographical.

Thanks for the recommendations - I'll check them out - lots I haven't read. :) Fun.

Marla Warren

Post by Marla Warren » December 22nd, 2009, 11:38 am

I would highly recommend the Miss Julia series by Ann B. Ross

The first book is Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind. A customer at the bookstore recommended them to me. I got the first book from the library for my mother. She was laughing out loud while she read it. We’ve both read all the books in the series and find them to be an absolute delight.

The novels are in first person, narrated by Miss Julia, a pillar of the community Southern widow, who discovers that her late husband had a few secrets. One shock she had was discovering they had far more money than she ever dreamed. From Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind:
“When the extent of his estate was laid out for me, all I could think of was how he used to hand me a housekeeping allowance every Friday, saying, ‘Make it last, Julia. Money doesn’t grow on trees, you know.’ And all the time he was cultivating a whole grove! Well, a lot of good it did him, because I ended up with every penny.”
There are ten books in the series:

1. Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind
2. Miss Julia Takes Over
3. Miss Julia Throws a Wedding
4. Miss Julia Hits the Road
5. Miss Julia Meets Her Match
6. Miss Julia’s School of Beauty
7. Miss Julia Stands Her Ground
8. Miss Julia Strikes Back
9. Miss Julia Paints the Town
10. Miss Julia Delivers the Goods

And here’s the website:
http://www.missjulia.com/

Another great series is The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia Wrede. The series consists of four novels:

1. Dealing with Dragons
2. Searching for Dragons
3. Calling on Dragons
4. Talking with Dragons

The books are fantasy, with good adventure and plenty of humor. I read the series again about every two years. I discovered the Enchanted Forest Chronicles when I was student teaching in an 8th grade class. Some of the students recommended it. But so far all the adults I have recommended it to have also enjoyed the series.
“Good writing should be smooth, clear and short, and the art of saying little in much must be avoided at all costs.”
--Benjamin Franklin

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » December 22nd, 2009, 12:23 pm

There are only a couple of books I re-read (so many new ones to get to!), but my favorite comfort book for re-reading would probably have to be HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. Always puts a smile on my face.

RLS

Post by RLS » December 22nd, 2009, 12:34 pm

I just read, When I Reach You by Rebecca Stead, and loved it.
I also loved, The ART of Racing in the Rain.
both were fun.

OHNOITSKEN!

Post by OHNOITSKEN! » December 22nd, 2009, 2:31 pm

Stephen King's On Writing is perfect for me... I don't have a support group of writers around me, so being able to hunker down with Mr. King and his colloquial stylings, it's almost like he's just talking to me. It's really a marvelous thing. I just pick it up and read it from anywhere. There's no reason to start at the beginning.

charity_bradford

Post by charity_bradford » December 22nd, 2009, 10:10 pm

I have read a couple of her other books but only once ;) Reading some of the other books listed reminded me of a book that I have only read once, but I have been thinking about it a lot lately and plan to re-read it while traveling next week.

Enchantment by Orson Scott Card. Romance, fantasy and time/dimensional travel, just a good story.
If you are a mother and a writer you have to make the time to write. No one is going to give it to you.
http://charitywrites.blogspot.com/

Harper Karcz

Post by Harper Karcz » December 24th, 2009, 1:33 pm

Some of my favorite comfort books are David Sedaris's essay collections. If the husband and I are traveling for Christmas, we will usually pop one of the Sedaris audiobooks in the car. If not, I like to curl up with either Holidays On Ice or Naked. I've read 'em both a million times, but they never fail to make me laugh. Also, they make my family seem positively sweet and sane in comparison to his.

Also, I'm weird, and Southern, and a linguist, and a former English major, and thus I reread William Faulkner all the freaking time. I doubt if The Sound and the Fury is "comfort reading" to anyone but me, but I've read that book at least 20 times in full.

RLS, I read When You Reach Me earlier this year, too, and I can definitely see that becoming a perennial reread.
Having just the vision's no solution
Everything depends on execution.

-- Stephen Sondheim

tabwriter

Post by tabwriter » December 28th, 2009, 11:20 pm

The Art of Racing in the Rain is one of my favorite re-reads. So is The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo. I got to read that book to my son recently and loved every minute of it.

Mira

Post by Mira » December 29th, 2009, 10:01 am

These are all wonderful - I've heard of a few, but now most. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll definitely look them up. :)

abc

Post by abc » January 8th, 2010, 1:36 pm

Even with the doses of tragedy and sadness, I find Richard Russo's books extremely comforting. He does a wonderful job of making the reader a member of the family or a citizen of the town. Funny, I never reread books. Not since I was little (when Where the Red Fern Grows and Bridge to Terabithia were my favorites). I guess there are too many other books out there vying for my attention. Same goes for televisions. My sister can watch the Felicity series again and again. I might revisit Gilmore Girls, though, which is my total comfort show. Oh how I miss those Gilmore Girls.

Shirls2010

Post by Shirls2010 » January 15th, 2010, 10:24 am

Some of my favourite comfort books are:
Mission - Patrick Tilley. I reread it every Easter.
Any of Robert Heinlein's Lazerus Long novels.
And when I'm really too weary to engage in new material, Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic series or Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series.
The scariest moment is always just before you start."
— Stephen King (On Writing)

beacon22

Post by beacon22 » January 20th, 2010, 9:16 am

I love The God of Animals, The Great Gatsby, To Kill a Mockingbird and Prep. I can read those books over and over again.
Come on over to my blog and lurk a little!

http://www.freckle-head.blogspot.com

MaryLA

Post by MaryLA » January 21st, 2010, 7:09 am

When I have just cancelled a dentist appointment or pissed off the publisher or found a leak in the bathroom ceiling, I like to curl up with EF Benson's Mapp and Lucia novels. Edwardian camp, very gentle and affectionate, set in an idealised Rye on the Sussex coast.