Query an agent in another country?

Questions for the resident (former) agent
passingby3

Query an agent in another country?

Post by passingby3 » January 11th, 2011, 4:22 am

Hi Nathan,
I was wondering, how do you go about querying an agent/publisher in another country?
I live in Australia and am also interesting in making contact to agents in America and the UK to wider my possibilities. Is it risky? will agents go for a writer in another country or do they avoid it seeing as sending a manuscript overseas is a little different and difficult then sending it over to say another state..also should they query letter say what country I am from? does listing your phone no. and address etc. still apply?
Thanks!
Jacky.

Nathan Bransford

Re: Query an agent in another country?

Post by Nathan Bransford » January 12th, 2011, 12:48 am

Here's my post on that: http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2007/12 ... rseas.html

And yes, I don't think it really hurts to mention where you're from. When I was an agent I had clients all around the world, so it's not really a hindrance.

passingby3

Post by passingby3 » January 13th, 2011, 9:55 pm

Thank you I'll take a look ;)

But does it become difficult? I mean, author and agent can't really meet up, phone calls may be expensive and sending a whole manuscript may take weeks to reach the agent etc.. and once published would that author have to go to the agent's country to do book signings etc.? or would she/he publicize the book in his/her own country??

Sleeping Beauty

Post by Sleeping Beauty » January 28th, 2011, 6:13 am

I'm in the same boat as you. There are so few literary agencies in Australia, and once you remove the agents who aren't currently accepting submissions and who don't represent your genre, the pickings are slim indeed!
I'm going to try a few more local agents and then look across the pond - probably to the UK. I really don't want to burn any bridges with Australian publishers, so I'm avoiding them for now. :)

Zoe

Post by Zoe » January 29th, 2011, 11:11 am

Sorry for crowding your boat :-P
Same problem here. I'm out to conquer the New World as here, overseas, the publishers apparently are not impressed with my writing on the pre-columbian North America ;-)
It's reassuring to hear that the local agents may not be deterred by the distance (hopefully!)

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » February 4th, 2011, 12:42 am

passingby3 wrote:Thank you I'll take a look ;)

But does it become difficult? I mean, author and agent can't really meet up, phone calls may be expensive and sending a whole manuscript may take weeks to reach the agent etc.. and once published would that author have to go to the agent's country to do book signings etc.? or would she/he publicize the book in his/her own country??
I have an agent from Australia an it's not a problem at all. It's way more important to have the right agent.

passingby3

Post by passingby3 » February 14th, 2011, 11:40 pm

But again, do you still include all your information as in phone number, address, etc. and will it become an issue with sending manuscripts overseas etc. how would the agent go about meeting/talking to you if your in another country? and if you get signed..would you have to go to that country to do that countries book signings or yours???

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » February 15th, 2011, 11:05 pm

passingby3 wrote:But again, do you still include all your information as in phone number, address, etc. and will it become an issue with sending manuscripts overseas etc. how would the agent go about meeting/talking to you if your in another country? and if you get signed..would you have to go to that country to do that countries book signings or yours???
You can include your phone number/address, and most agents do everything electronically these days anyway. I met my agent when she was in New York. If you are lucky enough to even have a book tour let alone in another country, well, that's one of those bridges that you cross when you get there.