A painful but necessary book on writing

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
jkmcdonnell

Re: A painful but necessary book on writing

Post by jkmcdonnell » February 4th, 2011, 1:35 am

I swear I saw this book on the shelf in my university's library. Are they trying to bring us down in our optimistic prime?

BetweenTwoWorlds

Post by BetweenTwoWorlds » February 4th, 2011, 7:06 am

Interesting responses!

For me, since I'm getting only fluffy responses from friends, I'm looking for something a little deeper and more to the tune of the business world. I don't want "nice." I don't want violence. I just want that thing in the middle called honesty.
----------------------
WIP1-4: Dead, and buried, and lost in time
WIP5: Finished, but hidden in a drawer
WIP6: 72k YA/MG. Working on 3nd edit.

Margo

Post by Margo » February 4th, 2011, 11:02 am

BetweenTwoWorlds wrote:I just want that thing in the middle called honesty.
That's an exciting stage of development, a transition. So much potential when a writer is finally strong enough to seek that out!
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Claudie

Post by Claudie » February 4th, 2011, 1:02 pm

Mira wrote:I think it's good for people to know what they need, and if that is a total lack of tough love, then so be it! :)
Knowing what you want is good, yep. ^^ You're better off than me in this case, because I've never had something critiqued. I'm not sure where my limits are, and am wary of how I'll react to the first beta readers. (I know how I should react, but wanting a tough skin and having one are two different things).
polymath wrote:Like, tough love is a critiquer who takes the tough stance and makes the effort to determine a writer's skill level, where to encourage, where to suggest areas for reconsideration, when to hold back, when to unleash the whirlwind. Mostly, though, when to hold back for the sake of building good rapport and for the betterment of the greater good.
That sure sounds like the perfect critiquer. ^^
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

polymath

Post by polymath » February 4th, 2011, 2:19 pm

Claudie wrote:
polymath wrote:Like, tough love is a critiquer who takes the tough stance and makes the effort to determine a writer's skill level, where to encourage, where to suggest areas for reconsideration, when to hold back, when to unleash the whirlwind. Mostly, though, when to hold back for the sake of building good rapport and for the betterment of the greater good.
That sure sounds like the perfect critiquer. ^^
Thank you, Claudie. Validation encourages me to continue the quest.

I came by that philosophy the hard way. Applying it is even tougher to do. I stumbled first onto project beginnings are a good place for developmental editors to weigh in. Secondly, finished projects are a good place to weigh in. I'm still prospecting for how in the middle is best to weigh in.
Spread the love of written word.

Matt Phillips

Post by Matt Phillips » February 8th, 2011, 3:33 pm

I'm about halfway through this book, and I'm not finding it too harsh so far. Its tone is similar to many writing blogs. I like its straightforward quality: Do this, this or this, but not this.