Writer Conferences

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
cheekychook

Re: Writer Conferences

Post by cheekychook » January 30th, 2011, 12:17 pm

I attended the Writer's Digest Conference in NYC last weekend. It was indeed expensive and stressful but was a worthwhile experience: interesting seminars, good networking opportunity, chance to pitch tons of agents (came away with several partial requests) and, most fun of all, I got to meet my critique partner (none other than KarenBB from this very forum, who I met right here almost a year ago)in person for the first time as we traveled together and shared expenses. We were both thrilled by the requests we received, but meeting each other in person was definitely a highlight of the trip. To read a much longer and way more painstakingly detailed description of my entire conference experience, check out my blog post about it: http://karenstivali.com/?p=123#comments

If you have any questions about the conference, feel free to ask.
http://www.karenstivali.com

Passionate Plume 1st Place Winner 2012 - ALWAYS YOU
Published with Ellora's Cave, Turquoise Morning Press & Samhain Publishing

BetweenTwoWorlds

Post by BetweenTwoWorlds » January 30th, 2011, 12:59 pm

I'm planning on attending the Pacific Northwest Writers Association Writers Conference in Bellevue, Washington in August 2011.

My goal is to finish my book to the point where it's ready to pitch by June 30 (pitch as in "present it to agents"; it's already in the "ready to be tossed into a recycling bin" state), and then polish, polish, polish for two months.

So far things are working out swell. I finished the first draft in November, second edits today, and I'm ready to completely rewrite the last third of the book...
----------------------
WIP1-4: Dead, and buried, and lost in time
WIP5: Finished, but hidden in a drawer
WIP6: 72k YA/MG. Working on 3nd edit.

Evelyn

Post by Evelyn » January 30th, 2011, 6:08 pm

BetweenTwoWorlds wrote:I'm planning on attending the Pacific Northwest Writers Association Writers Conference in Bellevue, Washington in August 2011.
Hi BTW,

I'm planning on attending, too! Hope to meet you. Is anyone else from here going?

I'm also entering their writing contest. Right now, I'm in the middle of preparing all of the paperwork and making sure it's all according to the rules.

Evelyn

BetweenTwoWorlds

Post by BetweenTwoWorlds » January 30th, 2011, 7:33 pm

I'm trying to get others from my writing group to go. Most of them are sensitive to the costs (well, so am I), but I think I can get a few others to attend.
----------------------
WIP1-4: Dead, and buried, and lost in time
WIP5: Finished, but hidden in a drawer
WIP6: 72k YA/MG. Working on 3nd edit.

ajcattapan

Post by ajcattapan » February 3rd, 2011, 11:55 am

If anyone is still looking or a great conference in the Midwest, I'd recommend the Midwest Writers Workshop at Ball State University in Muncie, Indiana. I went last summer and had a great time.

Everyone there (organizers, editors, authors, agents, and my fellow attendees) were really friendly and approachable. Great topics and great speakers at a reasonable price.