Cover Letter?

Questions for the resident (former) agent
priya g.

Cover Letter?

Post by priya g. » January 3rd, 2011, 6:01 pm

Hi Nathan!

Just a few quick questions:

I read the submissions details of an agency and they require the first three chapters, a short, preferably one page, synopsis and cover letter of the novel. They have explicitly asked for any history of publication and samples in the last requirement (cover letter).
My questions:
1.) What is the format of a cover letter?
2.) Is the cover letter another way of saying the query letter?
3.) How can I say that I have not been published? That would defeat the purpose of the letter in the first place. (and a possible deal-breaker)

Thanks!

Nathan Bransford

Re: Cover Letter?

Post by Nathan Bransford » January 12th, 2011, 12:43 am

priya g. wrote:Hi Nathan!

I read the submissions details of an agency and they require the first three chapters, a short, preferably one page, synopsis and cover letter of the novel. They have explicitly asked for any history of publication and samples in the last requirement (cover letter).
My questions:
3.) How can I say that I have not been published? That would defeat the purpose of the letter in the first place. (and a possible deal-breaker)

Thanks!
1) See #2
2) Yes
3) Don't worry about it. Just say in the query this is your first novel.

priya g.

Post by priya g. » January 12th, 2011, 5:25 am

Nathan Bransford wrote:

My questions:

Thanks!
1) See #2
2) Yes
Thanks! Just a last question: do we have to put two addresses on the cover letter? this agency takes submissions via mail.

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » January 16th, 2011, 2:10 pm

priya g. wrote:
Nathan Bransford wrote:

My questions:

Thanks!
1) See #2
2) Yes
Thanks! Just a last question: do we have to put two addresses on the cover letter? this agency takes submissions via mail.
Not sure what you mean by two addresses (yours and theirs?), but standard business cover letter format is fine.