Re-Drafting

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
hannah_dreamergirl_3

Re-Drafting

Post by hannah_dreamergirl_3 » January 4th, 2011, 11:11 am

Do you find it best to wait until you are completely finished your first draft before starting the re draft or do you in moments of lesser inspiration for the current parts of your story start to re-draft previous chapters?
Just wondered :-)

Hannah
Check out my new blog at, http://hannahbullimore.wordpress.com

'Good writing is to evoke sensation in the reader, not the fact that it is raining, but the feeling of being rained upon'

ELDoctorow

Guardian

Re: Re-Drafting

Post by Guardian » January 4th, 2011, 11:13 am

I re-drafted few older chapters as I progressed because later chapters changed few things in the old ones, especially as all the chapters has a cause and effect on later ones, but sometimes I needed to work backward (I created an effect and I needed to add the beginning of these events to the previous chapters.). As that part is done, now I'm making a final rewrite on the whole thing from the beginning to the end.

hannah_dreamergirl_3

Post by hannah_dreamergirl_3 » January 4th, 2011, 11:35 am

Yeah I no what you mean, like if I introduce a character and then think, he would have been mentioned before now.
I'm totally nervous about a whole re-write...I think at least a partial re-write will be necessary as many aspects of my character has changed, but if its necessary it'll have to wait until summer as exam prep is from next week! Oh well, I'll get there!
And good luck to you as well :-)

'Good writing is to evoke sensation in the reader, not the fact that it is raining, but the feeling of being rained upon'

ELDoctorow

wordranger

Post by wordranger » January 8th, 2011, 11:01 pm

I re-write things all the time. Different parts of the story, and never in order.
From my perspective, if the thought hits you, write it NOW. If you wait, you may lose the part of it that was so great it made you want to change your story in the first place.

Yes, you will have to go back and make the new part work, which would mean then, re-writing other chapters, but that’s the fun of it!

Just last week I was adding a little feeling into a chapter near the end of my story, and BOOM! Something happened, and a dialog started that I never expected. I loved it, and it caused me to have to go back and re-write several chapters, and it will also effect all of the sequel novels that are already in their “first draft” form.

Intimidating? Yeah, a little, but that’s the creative process.

When you do something like this, though, you need to (eventually) start reading your novel over from the beginning (editing as you go) to make sure everything still makes sense.
Words are your friend.
Don't be afraid to lose yourself in them.

Jennifer Eaton, WordRanger
My Novelette LAST WINTER RED will be published by J. Taylor Publishing in December, 2012

Take a Step into My World and Learn From My Mistakes http://www.jennifermeaton.com/

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » January 8th, 2011, 11:09 pm

I never get to the end of the first draft without going back and rewriting big pieces because I have to change something. I don't mind it. I kind of think of the first draft as a constant, less as an end point. Like, I don't say "I'll write all this then go back and start editing and adding things." I edit and add as I go. It takes me much longer to finish a "first draft" but by the time I'm done my first draft is really polished. Then the second draft is more about content and complications and less about the nitty gritty.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Louise Curtis

Post by Louise Curtis » January 9th, 2011, 4:34 pm

I'm dead-set against editing (including adding scenes/whatever) during the first draft - especially if it's a first book.

I think the only thing that can sustain the madness of a first draft is to stay in the madness until it's done (part of why naNowrimo produces so many first-time full manscripts). Once you start thinking rationally about the story (particularly what it lacks, which will ALWAYS be a lot), and/or how marketable (or whatever) the book is, many people will get tangled up and end up stopping (generally about fifty pages in).

Writing and editing are in different parts of the brain, and they often don't cooperate well.

I do, however, write down everything I think of as I go - and then stick it back in after I've written "the end". I also plan a fair bit before I start - perhaps a line per chapter - so I have some idea of what the characters need to be capable of. My books get up to twice as long in editing.

Right now I'm thinking about writing a steampunk novel. I have the main character and her goal; the main conflict of the world, and some of the details of the world (but I need to go and read a LOT of books before I know enough to plan it in detail). This planning and research stage will probably take 3-6 months, then the first draft will take a month or two.
Louise Curtis
Twitter Tales @Louise_Curtis_
Writing Tips, Steampunk, Baby Talk, and Daily Awesomeness http://twittertales.wordpress.com

Claudie

Post by Claudie » January 9th, 2011, 7:43 pm

I'm with Louise Curtis on this. I always finish my first drafts before I rewrite them, even if I know halfway through it that it will need to be rewritten. I take notes as I go, however. It's noteworthy that I don't take as much care with the quality of the writing once I know I'll trash the words right after. It's the creative juice that matters. Once it's flowing, I need to keep it going and to see where it leads me. Most of the time, I will find ideas I'll want to reuse in later drafts, too, and I might not have had them had I stopped.

Every writer works differently, but I have no trouble pounding out a lot of words in a short amount of time, so I use that to my advantage and explore each draft fully before I switch. I feel I'd be missing out by stopping midway.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

hannah_dreamergirl_3

Post by hannah_dreamergirl_3 » January 10th, 2011, 10:49 am

Yeah I see what your saying, I know with me that I concentrate in the moment and make lists of stuff I have to go back to, whether to amend or add in.
I think it is that thing of if your ideas have come over all of a sudden you have to get it written down and then re-draft.

:-)

ELDoctorow