Writing When Something Is Consuming You

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
saraflower

Writing When Something Is Consuming You

Post by saraflower » December 14th, 2010, 4:22 pm

Okay maybe the title of this thread is a little dramatic...sorry.

How do you power through and write when something crazy is going on with you emotionally? I mean, a lot of times when I'm sad I am actually more inspired to write. But there are certain emotions (i.e. Guilt, worry) that seem to hinder my writing. Which I can't really afford right now, because I have a lot of opportunities to write over the next few weeks and I want to find a way to power through and not waste precious creative time.

Any suggestions or pointers?

Sommer Leigh

Re: Writing When Something Is Consuming You

Post by Sommer Leigh » December 14th, 2010, 4:31 pm

I read before I write. It doesn't help all the time, but if I sit down and read something I'm excited about and I get my mind engaged in storytelling, it is easier to transition into writing when something is really consuming me.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

saraflower

Post by saraflower » December 14th, 2010, 4:39 pm

Sommer Leigh wrote:I read before I write. It doesn't help all the time, but if I sit down and read something I'm excited about and I get my mind engaged in storytelling, it is easier to transition into writing when something is really consuming me.
Thanks! I will try that. :)

Down the well

Post by Down the well » December 14th, 2010, 4:59 pm

There's a reason I go by Down the well on the forums. It really is the state of being I need to be in to write. I feel like I have to sink down in to a quiet, isolated place to get any meaningful work done. If I'm agitated or distracted, the writing suffers. This is probably TMI, but sometimes I don't process emotions well. When something upsets me enough to the point of distraction, it really can take two full days to get it out of my system, and I can't write in that mental state. And so I don't. It doesn't happen that often, but when it does I simply resort to chocolate and wait it out. I write better when I'm calm.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » December 14th, 2010, 7:17 pm

I have the same problem, with my emotions and my body. When I get into too much pain or I'm just too emotional over something my creative juices dry up and the excitement to write just melts away. I'll try to push through it but usually I'm like Down the Well - chocolate and patience until I feel like I can do this whole 'writing' thing again.

First of all, if it's an emotional issue that needs to be faced, dealt with, and resolved, then you have to do that first. You'll never be able to move on with your writing (or your life) if you let these emotions stew and grow. Give yourself permission to take a sabbatical to deal with life. If it's just something you have to learn to deal with, then I'd try reading what you have so far on your WIP. Sometimes getting reacquainted with your story and characters can give you enough excitement to push through. Also reading other people's work can help, too.

When all else fails, I just walk away for a time and do my darndest not to think about writing. I watch movies, play video games, go for walks. Anything to get my brain off of writing so it can recharge. Eventually my subconscious figures something out and then the itch returns.

Good luck!
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Claudie

Post by Claudie » December 14th, 2010, 11:32 pm

Something else you could try is to write something else than your WiP. Something silly, that can be very bad but that could help vent some of your ongoing emotions. I do that all the time. Honestly, the more emotionally unstable I am, the more I want to write.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

saraflower

Post by saraflower » December 15th, 2010, 7:47 am

I took a break from writing last night and this morning I woke up with the snow falling and the sun rising. I felt the urge to write again. I realized that the guy I was upset about isn`t worth messing up my writing for. Well, not that anything could mess it up, but I don`t want to waste another valuable evening on someone who probably wasnt even thinking about me. Haha. Hopefully maturity in the future will help me power through and keep writing. I like the suggestion of getting reaquainted with my WIP. That might help the next time! Thanks for responding guys. :)

Down the well

Post by Down the well » December 15th, 2010, 9:17 am

saraflower wrote:I took a break from writing last night and this morning I woke up with the snow falling and the sun rising. I felt the urge to write again. I realized that the guy I was upset about isn`t worth messing up my writing for. Well, not that anything could mess it up, but I don`t want to waste another valuable evening on someone who probably wasnt even thinking about me. Haha. Hopefully maturity in the future will help me power through and keep writing. I like the suggestion of getting reaquainted with my WIP. That might help the next time! Thanks for responding guys. :)
Well, in this case you need chocolate and retail therapy. Then when you get back to writing you skewer the guy in a cathartic release of literary revenge by making him a victim of your story's villain. Mwahahahaha.

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » December 15th, 2010, 9:25 am

Down the well wrote:
saraflower wrote:I took a break from writing last night and this morning I woke up with the snow falling and the sun rising. I felt the urge to write again. I realized that the guy I was upset about isn`t worth messing up my writing for. Well, not that anything could mess it up, but I don`t want to waste another valuable evening on someone who probably wasnt even thinking about me. Haha. Hopefully maturity in the future will help me power through and keep writing. I like the suggestion of getting reaquainted with my WIP. That might help the next time! Thanks for responding guys. :)
Well, in this case you need chocolate and retail therapy. Then when you get back to writing you skewer the guy in a cathartic release of literary revenge by making him a victim of your story's villain. Mwahahahaha.
You really need to post this on the "What is Dark" thread.

I throw temper tantrums and blame the world and lose sleep and agonize and glare at the dog. Time seems to be the only thing that works.

Fenris

Post by Fenris » December 15th, 2010, 11:19 am

I have to side with Claudie here, in that I want to write more when I'm upset. It's an escape to another world almost, but unlike video games or books it's a world that I'm creating. The sense of absolute freedom helps sooth my anger/fear/sadness/whatever, and a lot of times it even helps my writing. Say I'm angry, and the next scene involves an angry character. Well, I know how to write their actions and dialogue better because I'm experiencing the same thing.

Emotion is just another thing that gets my blood pumping. Music does it too. The greater the "rush," the better my writing becomes.
Hi, my name's Fenris. I'm a thousand-year-old monster who's broken free to destroy the world. Your kids will love me!

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » December 15th, 2010, 11:32 am

I realize that this might not be much help, but there's no wasted time, even when you're not writing. Because as long as you're doing something for the book, you're doing okay. As long as it doesn't die, you're alright.

I have three marker boards in my room. I wake up to seeing at least one of them. Usually the big-ass one on the right of me, next to the window. It's got all sorts of notes on it. So as long as I see that, and I remember... Or I see one of my dolls and think about someone and remember... Or I get inspired by something and remember...

I might write a sentence in my head. On a notecard. I might read someone else's work and think, "I can do better". I might scribble a note. Or hold an imaginary conference where I describe certain scenes to get the fire burning. I might get one thing or another going inside, wanting, so wanting to write.

But if I'm not feeling it, if I'm at that depth of depression and exhaustion, I won't.

However, if the story is still living, if I'm still living, it's alright. No time has been wasted. Because it has been worked on. You can edit, you can mold, you can work on side projects and improve while the story sits and waits for you. You can read and get more points, constantly increasing your mind's power in writing.

Time is not wasted unless you sit, stare, and refuse to work on anything related to the book, and let the sadness overcome you and win completely.

At least, that's my two cents. And it comes from someone who battles happy-manic\mad-manic\depression of the crazy insomniac deep gloom I want to die kind. It takes nads to lift your finger when you get in those sad moods.
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

Claudie

Post by Claudie » December 15th, 2010, 11:53 am

sierra: marker boards. I wants them. Bad. Why did I not ask for one on Christmas! Silly me.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » December 15th, 2010, 11:56 am

Claudie wrote:sierra: marker boards. I wants them. Bad. Why did I not ask for one on Christmas! Silly me.
Get the big one with the dots! Those are fun!
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » December 15th, 2010, 12:12 pm

sierramcconnell wrote:
Claudie wrote:sierra: marker boards. I wants them. Bad. Why did I not ask for one on Christmas! Silly me.
Get the big one with the dots! Those are fun!
Speaking of boards - I have one wall about 8.5 ft wide and 6.5 ft wide. I had all my concept drawings, charts, timelines maps (blah blah) stickytacked to it.

Here's the thing. We painted the room and I can't use ANY adhesive on the wall. does anyone know of some kind of corkboard squares that use cleats (or staples or nails . . .)? I don't want to put up "bulletin boards" because I'm greedy and I want the WHOLE wall.

saraflower

Post by saraflower » December 15th, 2010, 12:43 pm

Down the well wrote: Well, in this case you need chocolate and retail therapy. Then when you get back to writing you skewer the guy in a cathartic release of literary revenge by making him a victim of your story's villain. Mwahahahaha.
LOL this made me laugh so hard!! :P But I care about him too much to do that. Then again...I will keep that in mind...haha. Although I am thinking retail therapy will be just the trick. Thanks!