What genre do you read the most?

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
gjgeorge

Re: What genre do you read the most?

Post by gjgeorge » October 21st, 2010, 7:27 am

I mostly proffered Suspense, mystery novels. I am Sidney Sheldon fan. Sometime I read some philosophical novels.
Find Book Publishers from all around the world.

Down the well

Post by Down the well » November 24th, 2010, 7:06 pm

I read literary fiction the most, but I'm really drawn to historical fiction and fantasy -- especially if they're kind of literary in scope and style. :)

Margo

Post by Margo » November 24th, 2010, 7:16 pm

Down the well wrote:I read literary fiction the most, but I'm really drawn to historical fiction and fantasy -- especially if they're kind of literary in scope and style. :)
Have you tried anything by China Mieville, and if so, do you like his work?
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Down the well

Post by Down the well » November 24th, 2010, 7:51 pm

Margo wrote:Have you tried anything by China Mieville, and if so, do you like his work?
I have not. Though The City & The City looks interesting. The jacket flap makes it sound like the kind of plot I want to use for my next project -- a murder mystery that grows into something much bigger. Which Mieville would you recommend?

With Christmas coming it's time to start making a list of books I want to see under the tree.

Margo

Post by Margo » November 25th, 2010, 2:09 am

Down the well wrote:I have not. Though The City & The City looks interesting. The jacket flap makes it sound like the kind of plot I want to use for my next project -- a murder mystery that grows into something much bigger. Which Mieville would you recommend?
The only Mieville I've read is the first few pages of The City and the City, which I liked very much. I had intended to buy it. In fact, the Sci-Fi Book Club had a recent promotion that got me browsing, and I was about to put that book into my cart when I glanced at the reader ratings and reviews. The rating and reviews were all quite poor, which surprised me. Reviewers indicated they found it too ponderous, slow, meandering, very literary in the 'pretty prose but little point' sort of way. I was hoping to find someone around here who had read Mieville and could discuss his work with me.

I might let that one sit for now and look into Sedia's The Secret History of Moscow.

I'd like to find some literary-leaning contemporary fantasy that doesn't fall into the navel-gazing trap.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Jessica Peter

Post by Jessica Peter » November 26th, 2010, 10:48 pm

I've been into urban fantasy for a while (generally of the kick-ass heroine variety), and since the summer I've been on a heavy-duty Regency romance kick. I love the need to bust out of that society's conformity. . . and the happy endings! I also read any apocalyptic or post-apocalyptic I can get my hands on, YA or adult, and plenty of non-fic based on food or travel.
http://jessdoesstuff.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/JessicaPeter1
Currently querying HUNT, YA Urban Fantasy & writing a post-apocalyptic romance

Cookie

Post by Cookie » November 30th, 2010, 10:59 am

I'm kinda all over the place in my reading. I'll read just about anything that catches my fancy, however I do go through phases. For a while it was mystery, then I went on a huge fantasy spree (I found it a refreshing break from all the murder and suspense.) Now, I'm kinda on a YA/ classics kick. Two totally different directions, I know. I'm weird. But The do make good contrast- the YA I can usually get through in a day, two at most while the classics take me slightly longer.
Some the recent books I read are:
Three Musketeers- Alexander Dumas
Spells- Aprilynne Pike
Frankenstein- Mary Shelley
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone- JK Rowling
Musashi- Eiji Yoshikawa
Fragile- Lisa Unger

...too name a few.

I also totally agree on the whole vampire thing. The whole brooding, hunky vampire with sensitivity issues is starting to grate on my nerves. It almost makes you want to stake them. Jessa, your vampire story sounds awesome! I would totally read it.
My top secret WIP is amazing (in theory), and completely daunting. It's kind of a historical horror fiction. The main theme of the book is more the history and the myths and not the vampirism, however I thought it would make an interesting and gory twist. And no, the main character is not a sarcastic, ass-kicking bitch. She's vain, selfish, irresponsible and makes a lot of mistakes. And her love interest is most definitely not a brooding hunk of an undead. He's actually more of a peace loving hippy. Anyways, I just hope I have the talent to pull it off.

Fenris

Post by Fenris » December 1st, 2010, 1:01 pm

My preferred genres are YA fantasy (which is also the genre of my WIP) and classics. And by classics I mean OLD, like Homer and Cicero (read Virgil's Aeneid too, but that was a pain because I had to translate it from Latin...). I think my interest in the aforementioned old-timers is what sparked my interest in mythology, which also lends itself to my WIP. A little contemporary mystery now and then is refreshing, though.
Hi, my name's Fenris. I'm a thousand-year-old monster who's broken free to destroy the world. Your kids will love me!

Heather B

Post by Heather B » December 14th, 2010, 4:05 am

Cookie wrote:
I also totally agree on the whole vampire thing. The whole brooding, hunky vampire with sensitivity issues is starting to grate on my nerves. It almost makes you want to stake them.
That's why my MC does stake them. And shoot them. And blow them up.

I'm a peaceful person. Really...
Journey to the Cuckoo's Nest

http://heathermbryant.blogspot.com.au/

Cookie

Post by Cookie » December 14th, 2010, 9:53 am

Heather B wrote:
Cookie wrote:
I also totally agree on the whole vampire thing. The whole brooding, hunky vampire with sensitivity issues is starting to grate on my nerves. It almost makes you want to stake them.
That's why my MC does stake them. And shoot them. And blow them up.

I'm a peaceful person. Really...
Lol. I mean, I don't mind a hot vampire, it's just unnatural for them to be wussies. And your MS sounds fascinating and fun!

Margo

Post by Margo » December 14th, 2010, 12:33 pm

LOL. Heather B, Cookie, you two would probably love the mug my friend bought for me: And then Buffy staked Edward. THE END.

saraflower

Post by saraflower » December 14th, 2010, 4:29 pm

Fantasy and thrillers.

Cookie

Post by Cookie » December 15th, 2010, 3:02 pm

Margo wrote:LOL. Heather B, Cookie, you two would probably love the mug my friend bought for me: And then Buffy staked Edward. THE END.
Lol. Did you see the Youtube video of Buffy and Edward? If not, you totally should. It is hilarious.

Btw, where did your friend get the mug?

Margo

Post by Margo » December 15th, 2010, 3:19 pm

Cookie wrote:Lol. Did you see the Youtube video of Buffy and Edward? If not, you totally should. It is hilarious.

Btw, where did your friend get the mug?
Thanks for the tip, Cookie. I'll definitely check out the video.

I'm almost positive my friend found the cup at Cafe Press.

Cookie

Post by Cookie » December 20th, 2010, 10:42 am

Margo wrote:
Cookie wrote:I'm almost positive my friend found the cup at Cafe Press.
Thanks for that! I will have to go check it out. Coffee mugs!