can I write about other fiction?

Questions for the resident (former) agent
mountains

can I write about other fiction?

Post by mountains » December 6th, 2010, 9:20 am

Hi Nathan,
I am thankful you are still available for answering questions. There are not that many places to turn to.
I am curious if a work of fiction could be written about a character reacting to a work of fiction? If that sounds confusing put it this way (as an example). Let's say I am writting a novel about Mary who stumbles across a book titled My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Piccoult. Then after reading the novel my character's life and perspective is greatly altered and the book becomes a catalyst to the story I am writing about Mary. This question of course could also apply to a movie, I suppose.
Is that taboo? Tacky?
I have been trying to research books like this out there and have only come up with two (by the same author) Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart and Jane Austen Ruined My Life.
I haven't read either yet - but I ordered one through Amazon to check it out - not well known enough to be at my public library I guess.

A nano post came up in November about fanfiction. Is that what this is?
Please help. Any direction would do!!

Nathan Bransford

Re: can I write about other fiction?

Post by Nathan Bransford » December 6th, 2010, 10:09 pm

Hey, if it works it works. This has been done, though my mind is drawing a blank at the moment. But do bear in mind that things could get dicey if you're appropriating someone else's material/characters, etc. if it's under copyright, so if you are planning to do this you might either stick to works in the public domain or otherwise consult with a copyright/publishing attorney to see what would be within bounds for you to use.

mountains

Post by mountains » December 7th, 2010, 1:13 am

Thank you so much for answering Nathan. It was a treat to see your response.
Would you be so kind to elaborate?
Do you have any recommendations how I contact an attorney specializing in copyright/publishing? Do I do that before I write it? The item I have in mind is too contemporary to be public domain. It is copyrighted for sure. However I do not plan on copying it or rewriting it. My intent would be to discuss it from my character's point of view.

polymath

Post by polymath » December 12th, 2010, 2:50 pm

Lawyers whose practices involve the issue at hand are banned word in intellectual property rights. They tend to concentrate near publishing capitals, Hollywood, New York, etc.

An online listing service based on keyword search "intellectual property rights lawyers";
http://www.intellectualpropertylawfirms.com

Working from someone elses intellectual property is a dicey proposition no matter how it stacks up. Opinions on what's infringing and what's not vary across a gamut. It's a best practice to ask for express permission even in the cases of Fair Use. The real issue in my estimation is the costs and traumas of litigation, well founded or not from either side's legal standing.

On the other hand, what's known as a False Document can be an original creation of an author for the sake of originality, thus avoiding any taint which may acrue from using someone else's intellectual property. A False Document in the case given would be a fictional novel from which the overlying novel takes its cues.
Spread the love of written word.

steve

Post by steve » December 12th, 2010, 8:19 pm

mountains wrote: I am curious if a work of fiction could be written about a character reacting to a work of fiction?
Check out MARCH by Geraldine Brooks, SHOELESS JOE by WP Kinsella, THE BOOKSHOP by Penelope Fitzgerald, and FLAUBERT'S PARROT by Julian Barnes for some good examples of this.
Read one of the best stories by Borges.

mountains

Post by mountains » December 13th, 2010, 12:07 pm

Thank you so much for all the advice. I will look into the suggestions.