What is it about Norse mythology?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Watcher55

Re: What is it about Norse mythology?

Post by Watcher55 » November 30th, 2010, 6:28 pm

Fenris wrote:Watcher55: I'm only a "serious student" because I've had to do a little bit of research for my WIP. I found the info online, so I think "scholarly lit" might be out of the question. Actually, I double-checked and I was mistaken; Jofur may have been a later invention:
Jofur (from Old Norse Jǫfurr: "wild boar") is a name used in Nordic literature for the thunder god, mainly as a synonym for Jupiter. Jofur probably originated in the writings of the 17th century Swedish scientist and writer Olaus Rudbeckius, and has since been used in Nordic poetry, mainly during the Baroque and Rococo eras. Jofur (as a god) does not appear in Norse mythology, even though the word was also used as an honorary title for kings and heroes.
This is just from a Wikipedia article, as I didn't go too in-depth in my research for this (read: it's not important to my WIP).

As for Woden, it's a disambiguation of Odin (one of several: Wodan, Wotan, Wodanaz...you get the picture). I'm still looking for hard copies to augment my research--most of what I've found has been online, and therefore more likely to be fictitious than the data in, say, a published research study on Germanic and Scandinavian paganism in the Middle Ages. It's a bit harder to get my hands on them since I'm too young to drive, but I'm doing my best. There are a few books that may have e-book or online versions that might be helpful, though, like this site is a translated version of the Poetic Edda (one of the more prominent works of Norse origin that has aided greatly in research):

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/poe/

However, it's a little hard to stomach at first, especially if you aren't that into poetry. Helpfully, it has a kind of 'running commentary' every few stanzas that helps fill you in if you don't know much about the terminology/names.

And what is this revival you speak of? It sounds interesting, but unless it's true to the mythos you may have a job convincing Margo to go.
Heh, heh - Xena and Hercules - you know - Kevin Sorbo and Lucy Lawless? They got the history right, didn't they?

Seriously thanks for the link, Primary resource is always scholarly lit in my book (it's what scholars are supposed to read). I always find it helpful to start with the primary and then find one or two books that deal with the subject by authors who don't necessarily agree.

Margo

Post by Margo » November 30th, 2010, 6:38 pm

For scholarly sources (on any subject) try narrowing your search to university sources (.edu). Dissertations are a nice source. The great thing about scholarly sources is that they call one another out when they feel someone has taken an assumption too far. The problem with neo-pagan sources (which proliferate the internet) is the tendency to augment hard pre-Christian lore with personal experiences from things like astral projection and spirit journeys -- and not mention that upfront. I won't argue the personal validity of these experiences, but I also don't see them in the same light as original sources or academic studies of the subject.

Xena. Hercules. :headdesk:
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Margo

Post by Margo » November 30th, 2010, 6:49 pm

Fenris wrote:...as I didn't go too in-depth in my research for this (read: it's not important to my WIP).
0_o

Why is it not important?
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Margo

Post by Margo » November 30th, 2010, 7:02 pm

Gads, Watcher55, I just scanned your page on the exerpt forum. I love your topic! I might forgive you for Xena and Hercules based on this question. Latin, classical or medieval pronunciation?

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » November 30th, 2010, 7:27 pm

Margo wrote:Gads, Watcher55, I just scanned your page on the exerpt forum. I love your topic! I might forgive you for Xena and Hercules based on this question. Latin, classical or medieval pronunciation?
You saw me smiling when I posted that right?

I think I understand the question (If I don't, I'm going to blame it on the flu). In the NINTH ADDICT I use the Latin since it's set in Rome. When the story gets back to the estab of Olympus, Heracles will get his real name back, and I'll be a happier writer.

J. T. SHEA

Post by J. T. SHEA » November 30th, 2010, 7:44 pm

Margot, you mean there's wrong stuff on Wikipedia? How cynical of you! Next you'll be saying politicians don't always tell the truth...

As for those Norse types, in four years time we Irish (I'm Irish-American) will be celebrating the thousandth anniversary of our victory over the Norsemen at the Battle of Clontarf (Good Friday, 1014 AD). Nananananana!

Fenris

Post by Fenris » November 30th, 2010, 7:51 pm

Margo wrote:Fenris wrote:
...as I didn't go too in-depth in my research for this (read: it's not important to my WIP).

0_o

Why is it not important?
Because he's not an actual Norse god, but rather a figment of Rudbeckius' creative imagination, an author who lived in the 1600s--long after the Norse had fallen into obscurity. Since I'm using the straight, 'canon' mythology, this does not apply. If this Jofur were an actual member of the true Norse pantheon, I would of course extend my research to include him (even if he is just a parallel version of Jupiter).
Watcher55 wrote:And what is this revival you speak of? It sounds interesting, but unless it's true to the mythos you may have a job convincing Margo to go.

Heh, heh - Xena and Hercules - you know - Kevin Sorbo and Lucy Lawless? They got the history right, didn't they?
Margo wrote:Xena. Hercules. :headdesk:
I know: I was being sarcastic too. I honestly didn't know there was a revival though (unless that was sarcasm too, in which case please ignore me). If they have a website, make sure to get the link to Margo. :)
Hi, my name's Fenris. I'm a thousand-year-old monster who's broken free to destroy the world. Your kids will love me!

Cookie

Post by Cookie » November 30th, 2010, 8:00 pm

JT, that is interesting to know about the anniversary. As an Irish and Norse (by way of my Scottish roots) lass, I feel I shall be thoroughly confused on that day.
But! To the topic at hand, I am always interested in what people have to say about mythology. I must say, I have a slightly unhealthy addiction to all mythology. I spent years studying anything I could get my hands on about Greek and Egyptian myths, and I dabbled a little into Mesopotamian, Indian, South American and Japanese mythology. I am ashamed to say thought that I am lacking in my knowledge of Irish and Norse mythology.

And yes, I am procrastinating right now.

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » November 30th, 2010, 8:02 pm

Oh gosh, I hope there isn't one (shudder).

Margo

Post by Margo » November 30th, 2010, 8:03 pm

J. T. SHEA wrote:Margot, you mean there's wrong stuff on Wikipedia? How cynical of you! Next you'll be saying politicians don't always tell the truth...

As for those Norse types, in four years time we Irish (I'm Irish-American) will be celebrating the thousandth anniversary of our victory over the Norsemen at the Battle of Clontarf (Good Friday, 1014 AD). Nananananana!
Um, J., ya do know there was much interbreeding, right? Phhzzz!

Actually, I don't have anything against Wikipedia for use as a starting point.
Watcher55 wrote:I think I understand the question...
I was askin' how you pronounce yer latin. Cicero. S like sissy or k like kick?

Fenris

Post by Fenris » November 30th, 2010, 8:10 pm

Cookie wrote: I spent years studying anything I could get my hands on about Greek and Egyptian myths, and I dabbled a little into Mesopotamian, Indian, South American and Japanese mythology.
Really? Do you know where I might find sources on those? I'm looking into other mythologies for future projects, but the info I've found so far on pretty much all of these (except Greek) has been somewhat lacking. For example, and forgive me if I betray my ignorance: I thought the Japanese simply worshipped deceased ancestors (and something about oni and kami, I think, but again I'm not sure)?
Margo wrote:Actually, I don't have anything against Wikipedia for use as a starting point.
Phew, I'm off your hitlist then.
Hi, my name's Fenris. I'm a thousand-year-old monster who's broken free to destroy the world. Your kids will love me!

Margo

Post by Margo » November 30th, 2010, 8:12 pm

Fenris wrote:...(and something about oni and kami, I think, but again I'm not sure)...
Sounds like you're almost recalling Amaterasu.

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » November 30th, 2010, 8:25 pm

Fenris wrote:For example, and forgive me if I betray my ignorance: I thought the Japanese simply worshipped deceased ancestors (and something about oni and kami, I think, but again I'm not sure)?
There is so much to the Japanese there's never really a good starting place, just a place to start. Just jump right in.

I happen to like the maneki neko. Or Lucky Cat. Did you know, you are suppose to put your Lucky Cat in the Lucky Cat Shrine one year after getting him to continue your good luck? And that any coin that goes into the Lucky Cat bank, is not supposed to come out? It's why on genuine Lucky Cat banks, there are no stoppers, just felt or ceramic bottoms. To take the coin out means you are taking from the Lucky Cat spirit that is in that form and you will bring bad luck to you. They must also face a door or window to bring the fortune to you.

I also like Shisha\Kirin\Foo Dogs. They have to face an entrance as well, and have an open and shut mouth version. One is to suck in the bad spirits and the other is to contain them. XD

So if there's something you're interested in, pick it and go to it.

There is a feed I used to read but it's no longer active. It had all sorts of interesting information about monsters, spirits, and gods...
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

Cookie

Post by Cookie » November 30th, 2010, 8:34 pm

Fenris, most of the research I have done is through books. I mostly peruse Amazon looking for titles that pertain to what I want to learn, the books. Barnes and Noble sometimes has a decent selection of mythology, but you really have to look. One book, Fingerprint of the Gods by Graham Hancock does a pretty interesting comparison between the mythologies from around the world, even Judaism and Christianity.
As far as the Japanese mythology, I have done most of my research unfortunately through Wikipedia.That is a subject that is sorely lacking. The Shinto religion does have their own set of deities though, like Amaterasu, who id the goddess of the sun. Kami can mean many different things- deities, essence or spirits. Basically it is a word for any supernatural force that is above man. It is pretty much a blanket term for gods, demons, mythological creatures and human ancestors.
It really is quite a fascinating if not slightly confusing religion.

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » November 30th, 2010, 8:42 pm

OK, sorry folks, I just messed up submitting twice in a row, so I’m going to forget about the quotes this time and just hope this sense.

Cookie and Fenris – If you haven’t read GILGAMESH then you really should. I liked it better than Iliad, Odyssey, and Aenead. The stories are simple and worth telling, the poetry flows a little easier and the imagery is more readily digested. What makes it even cooler is that it written closer to the time of the flood than the Greaco Roman poems.

Margo – I have to confess, I’ve never actually learned Latin except what I’ve picked up books, so maybe I can redeem myself this way, the Latin alphabet has an “S” so it doesn’t need another letter to make that sound. That being the case, the man’s name is Kikero.

You saw me smiling when I posted that last right?