Creative Writing Courses - 1 year + - distance learning

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Jen P

Creative Writing Courses - 1 year + - distance learning

Post by Jen P » December 6th, 2009, 3:23 pm

I'm considering a post-grad Creative Writing Course which runs for six semesters over two years, starting Jan 2010. Requirements include one evening a week in person, from six thirty pm. Due to family commitments, this will be a challenge. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge of quality courses, which are 100% distance learning, potentially with online/skype face-to-face sessions, but no physical attendance required.

They need not lead to a qualification, but should require the completion of at least one novel by the end of the course.

I know there are many arguments for and against studying at all, vs getting on with it on your own, but I'm looking for enjoyment reasons as well as learning craft. Looking forward to see if anyone has any recommendations.

ElisabethMoore

Re: Creative Writing Courses - 1 year + - distance learning

Post by ElisabethMoore » December 6th, 2009, 4:02 pm

I have no experience with distance learning in creative writing, but the folks over at degreeinfo, who seem to know everything there is to know about what is available in distance learning, at least as far as programs with some kind of accreditation, have a thread on the subject here: http://degreeinfo.com/showthread.php?t=28319

I don't see the Whidbey Island Writer's Association MFA on that list, however. ( http://writeonwhidbey.org/mfa/ ) It does have some short term residency requirements, but has the attraction of being run by a writer's organization. I don't know anything about the accreditation, but my son has a personally autographed first edition of a book by an author who wrote the book during her time in that program.

Good luck!

Mira

Post by Mira » December 7th, 2009, 1:11 pm

Jen,

I'm not sure what type of employment you're looking for, or how this degree with support you. Is the course expensive?

I'd double check and be sure that completing an on-line course would help your chances of employment. If you're thinking about being a professional writer, I honestly don't know. From what I understand, having an MFA can be abit of an edge, but only a small one. But I'm not sure, so I would definitely do some reasearch on whether this would make you more employable or not.

Good luck with your decision! It certainly shows your commitment!

Alexandra Little

Post by Alexandra Little » December 7th, 2009, 1:19 pm

I know that Vermont College offers low-residency MFAs in both Writing and Writing for Children. I have not been there myself, but I met a group of veterans at the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators summer conference who love the program, and I am considering it for September start. But I think their deadline passed for January start.
WIP #1: young adult fantasy, rewriting/editing
WIP #2: young adult fantasy, first draft
WIP #3: young adult fantasy, twinkle in the author's eye

casnow

Post by casnow » December 7th, 2009, 1:53 pm

I know that Stanford University has non-degree online only creative writing classes... they are about $750-1000 each, and last for about 10-12 weeks. Mediabistro also has a number of writing classes that are ran by authors, agents, and editors that are between $100-600 and last between 2-10 weeks, and are all done online.

shadow

Post by shadow » December 7th, 2009, 5:23 pm

I never went to writing courses. So I would not be able to help! Good Luck!
All things writing, visit my blog http://arielemerald.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

Jen P

Post by Jen P » December 7th, 2009, 7:21 pm

Great - thanks everyone. @Mira - Not looking for employment reasons, just "enjoyment" as well as learning craft. And I may end up relocating to US in the near-term, so perhaps I'll hang on in for the Stanford courses. We'll see. Thanks again.

linguista

Post by linguista » December 8th, 2009, 2:01 am

I was researching the very same thing myself and I found an awesome program at UBChttp://www.creativewriting.ubc.ca/progr ... pply.shtml, the University of British Columbia. Like I said, I haven't done the program myself, but UBC is one of the best universities in Canada and I can't see them attaching their name to anything that's not quality.

Their MFA is low-residency, which means you have the option of spending your summers in BC. The program takes two years to complete, and you can concentrate on 2 or 3 of: Fiction, Writing for Children, Playwriting, Screenwriting, Literary Translation, Non-fiction and Poetry. Competition is tight. I think they accept 20 students each year, and you have to apply in September for entry the following May.

Good luck in your studies!