The Introduction Thread

New member introductions, suggestions for the Forums, questions about posting, and important announcements.
George Doctanian

Re: The Introduction Thread

Post by George Doctanian » October 23rd, 2010, 6:01 pm

My name is Raheem. I'm a young writer from Wisconsin who's currently working on a novel.

I don't have much to say about myself, other than that I've been writing stories since I was 10. I find writing the best form of expression; I would be lost in this world without it. As a young writer I have a long way to go before I master my own craft, but the journey is the destination as some would say, so I look forward to many wonderful endevors in my literary future.

As for the novel, it's practically finished, I'm running through the chapters and I plan to send out a ton of query letters this month. Hopefully, I'd get a literary agent before Christmas or at least in early January.

Note to webspinner: Welcome to the forum, I've been a active reader of the blog as well.

michael_villo

Post by michael_villo » October 24th, 2010, 2:39 am

Just found Nathan's blog today. After just browsing a few of his posts I figured out what my novel is missing and I'm working on it right now actually.

Anyway, I'm here.

Jollena

Post by Jollena » October 26th, 2010, 12:51 am

Hi All, I've been reading this blog for a while and just wanted to say hello .

Fenris

Post by Fenris » October 27th, 2010, 10:16 am

Hey everyone,

Like many of you, I've been reading Nathan's blog for a while--a few months counts, right? This is my first venture into the forums, please be gentle! I've got about ten years of writing under my belt; I've been writing since I was six (Raheem--good to see I'm not the only one who started early! Though I'm sure we aren't the only ones). At sixteen, I'm still kind of stumbling around trying to find my way in the world, but I've got one book finished, two more on the way, and many, many more still floating around in the primordial soup of ideas. Most of them are definitely fantasy, and those that aren't are balancing on the tightrope between SF and fantasy... *Sigh* I'll go see if I can find a query advice thread. As helpful as Nathan's been, he doesn't represent fantasy.
Hi, my name's Fenris. I'm a thousand-year-old monster who's broken free to destroy the world. Your kids will love me!

jef

Post by jef » October 27th, 2010, 10:20 pm

Hi! I've been a fan of Nathan's blog for a while (wow, I think it's going on two years) but this is the first time I've joined. I write a variety of different things, YA, mysteries, fantasy, and suspense to name a few. Wow. That's really diverse.

My current work is dystopian-ish and is going through edits. I hope I can pick up some good advice here and maybe some new writer buddies. I'm sure I'll talk to you around the forums!

D.Bond

Post by D.Bond » October 28th, 2010, 6:14 pm

Hello~

I've been a lurker for the forums for a few months now, no where near the years of some! I'm working on a novel with my best friend (aka the other half of my brain) and I love pretty much all genres. I started writing when I was about seven and luckily my skills have improved. I've had plenty of ideas and I've started tons of stories, but I've never finished them or dedicated the effort to getting myself published. Crossing my fingers that agents will love my work in progress once its done! (As I'm sure we all are. Except the few lucky ones that already have representations~)

Templar

Post by Templar » October 28th, 2010, 11:34 pm

Howdy all,
been lurking for awhile. Love the blog and finally got a gmail account to join in.

Mariam Maarouf

Post by Mariam Maarouf » October 29th, 2010, 9:25 am

Hey all,

I've been here for a while now, but that's the first time I see this thread. So, an official Hi :)

My name is -obviously- Mariam Maarouf, and I'm an author. My debut novel, ROSIE, will be released January 2011 by Alexandria Library for Publishing & Distribution. I live in Egypt. Um, I'm currently working on a YA Sci-Fi that I'll hopefully query US agents with once it's ready 'cause Egypt isn't really the best market for an English-language novel by an Egyptian (oh, the irony. Don't even go there).

I've worked for a few years as an editor and translator in the publishing industry, am an editor in my school's annual magazine, YALLA BINA, and I hope to study Mathematics and/or coding in college (2012/2013).

I found Nathan's blog because, well, if you search for anything publishing-related or writing-related, you're bound to find him in the search result. Oh, and by the way, that man is made of WIN.

Nice to meet you all!
"It is perfectly okay to write garbage--as long as you edit brilliantly." - C. J. Cherryh

http://www.mariam-maarouf.info , http://www.mariamaarouf.blogspot.com , http://www.twitter.com/mariamaarouf

Akoss

Post by Akoss » November 3rd, 2010, 7:13 am

Hi,
hum... I don't know where to start. I'm knew here. I've been writing for a while, but not published. I am currently doing NaNoWrimo but I have a first draft of YA urban fantasy (29K) that I will be revising when November is over.
I found this place by researching on how to get critique partners. I hope to find one eventually and from what I have seen this forum had helped a lot of writers, so I am happy I found it. There is more about me on my blogs so feel free to snoop.

stephendag

Post by stephendag » November 4th, 2010, 6:22 pm

Hi all!

The description of this forum says it is for new member introductions, so I am going to do just that.
My name is Stephen D’Agostino. I live in New York City. I’m a copywriter by day and a novelist by early morning. In other words, I get up at 4 every morning to write for a couple of hours before going to the gym and spending 10-11 hours a day wondering what I’m doing there when I could be working on writing that matters to me.

A brief synopsis of my non-copywriter writing life:
- Started my first novel when I was 11. Abandoned it days later (part of the reason is I hated the typewriter)
- Started a second novel in high school Stopped after harsh criticism from my brother
- At 19 I wrote and rewrote a murder mystery in three months (on a computer!). It is still on those pages that are connected and have those holes on the side for the dot matrix printer to hook on to and advance the pages
-Spent the next 15 years writing short stories and trying to forget I’m a writer
- Dabbled in playwriting. Wrote two. Had one stage read
- Started a novel in 2008 about a village in the Catskills in the 1930s facing its destruction for the sake of New York City’s drinking water. I’ve revised it 4 times. I’m quite proud of it!
- Just started working on my second novel (or third if you count my murder mystery) as part of NaNoWriMo

I've also just started learning about the publishing processes. And I’m looking for people to critique my work. I am standing on the edge of the “critique partner pool,” trying to build up the nerve to jump in (AFTER Nov. 30!).

So, please say “HI!” to me and let me know that he water in the critique partner pool is just fine!
Thanks, Nathan, for your blog and this forum. They have been invaluable to me already!

katebleu

Post by katebleu » November 5th, 2010, 2:42 pm

Hi.

My name is Kate. I've spent most of my life writing. Taking it seriously for a while, then drifting away. In March of this year, I decided that since November is not a great month for me to start anything, I would try to write 50,000 words from March 2 - March 31. My own better scheduled NaNoWriMo! It's a non-technology based sci-fi story, and I’m currently working on part one of 3 or 5, I'm not really sure about the over all pacing. As a stay-at -home mom, my writing time is sporadic at best, but I have managed 132,382 words over 15 chapters, 2 and a half of which are not entirely finished. I am currently finishing up my remaining chapters and doing my first self edit. I have recent found a friend who is willing to read/edit my story. Whoop! Soon I should be starting the second "book", which should start to answer my questions about pacing and ultimate length.

I'm really excited because this is the first thing I feel like I've ever really taken seriously. I'm not thinking of editing as a chore. I'm taking concrit as something helpful and necessary. It's really great.

springinup

Post by springinup » November 5th, 2010, 7:59 pm

Greetings from Reno, NV~

Hello! My name is Spring. I’m a 36-year-old with the spirit and imagination of an 8-year-old. ;o) I used to get offended when my mother called me a dreamer with a child’s spirit, but now I embrace it. I’m married to a man who is also a large child, and we love to laugh. We’re complete geeks, and enjoy watching dance movies, superhero movies, and the animal and history channels.

For the last nine years I’ve worked as a legal secretary for the Washoe County District Attorney’s office, (anyone need to know how to get your criminal records sealed? I’m your girl). I love reading, writing, singing, dancing, traveling, and doing The Lord’s work. I read YA, fantasy, romance, (and most everything in between) and some non-fiction-business.

I discovered my love of writing when I was 12 years old and had to write my first report, (probably the only student happy to be writing a report). I have absolutely no idea why it’s taken me so long to write my first book, but I’m glad I finally came around.

As of right now, I write YA-Paranormal, with a bit of romance, humor, and spirituality thrown in there as well. After 15 months of long, arduous work, filled with stiff wrists, sacrificed fun-time and trips to the chiropractor, I finally finished my first novel. I’m absolutely IN LOVE with it- from the characters, to the lovey-dovey parts, to every last battle scene! So now, I’m doing editing, editing, and more editing. It’s still not perfect- although, I think it has mad potential. I just need to get past my challenges- the largest of which is length. As of right now, it’s about 123,000 words long, and I’m trying to find a way to trim it down, because it’s my first book, and I keep hearing that publishers like first time novelists to keep word count to no more than 110,000.

Anyway, this is an awesome community, and I can’t wait to get to know you guys!

Roswenthe

Post by Roswenthe » November 11th, 2010, 5:17 pm

Hello, I'm Roswenthe!

Robin recommended this forum to me. I have been writing stories off and on since childhood, and have been a freelance education writer for the past two years, and an elementary and middle grades English teacher the past year. I read a lot of science fiction and some fantasy, and tend to like stories that are a mix of action and comedy, or at least have a sense of humor running through them.

I have had several longer stories on the backburner for awhile, and decided to participate in Nanowrimo this year in an attempt to get one down. The one I'm currently writing is about a group of spies who are probably the least likely people you'd imagine to be spies, and how they make that work for them. It's light and fun, and not really intended to be very deep, but it's coming together better than I expected. I don't really intend to have anybody read it until I get it all cleaned up, but I'd like to learn about the process as much as possible. I don't know if it would be really good for publishing, but at least it's good practice.

midnightblooms

Post by midnightblooms » November 12th, 2010, 2:18 pm

Hi everyone. I'm not new to the blog or the forums, but I've been reading the forums more often and found myself wanting to reply, so I finally registered.

I write fiction, mostly in fantasy and urban fantasy right now. I'm not published nor do I have an agent, yet. I have lived most of my life in the Southeastern US, and the nine years I lived elsewhere taught me that I prefer places with four seasons instead of two (Hot-And-Humid and Warm-And-Not-So-Humid) and the mountains to the beach (though the beach is nice to visit). When I lived in the not-South, everyone who met me said "but you don't have a southern accent?" To which I replied, "No. I left it in the minivan. But it'll be okay. The window's open a crack."

Strangely, no Southerner has ever asked me why I don't have an accent. I do have a husband and three kids, and two, make that three, addictions: books, caffeine, and reading blogs.

I guess that's enough. See you around!

slavandria

Post by slavandria » November 16th, 2010, 8:59 am

Hi, Craig!

Nice to meet you.

I live in Florida and love to write anything that comes to mind, which is usually fantasy or paranormal stuff. I am a published author (just a short story in an upcoming anthology, but hey, it's a start. :-))

I am currently writing an YA/NA fantasy novel entitled In the Shadow of the Dragon King and it's two follow up novels. I also do some editing and critique work on the side and I host a local chapter of an international writer's group (the international association of aspiring authors). In addition to all that, I'm a wife and mother of 4, grandmother to 1 and I am hopelessly enslaved to two Australian Shepherds and two cats.

I love to read anything I can get my hands on. Currently, I'm re-reading the Hunger Games: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins, The Tapestry: Second Siege by Henry Neff, and Pride's Castle by one of my favorite authors, Frank Yerby (he passed away years ago.) I have also just finished the Tairen Soul series by C.L. Wilson (all you romantic fantasy readers out there - I think you will enjoy this series).

I have been writing ever since I was a kid and all I have ever dreamed about is becoming a published novelist. Someday I know it will happen. I just have to keep the faith.

This site is awesome and I'm sure you'll find tons of useful information. Nathan's the best as are all his followers.

Good luck to you and your writing. I hope to read something of yours soon!

http://jennykellerford.wordpress.com