Bloody Hell, another synopsis, aaarrrgghh!

Ugh. You got stuck writing a synopsis. Help is on the way.
Michael Roland

Bloody Hell, another synopsis, aaarrrgghh!

Post by Michael Roland » October 31st, 2010, 1:59 pm

The Soul Baby the Trickster and the Golden Buddha
Creative Nonfiction

Michael places a Brazilian amethyst on his forehead and nods off to sleep. When he wakes up he can see ghosts and even bizarre creatures from the other side. With some help from a Native American medicine man, he is returned to his normal self, more or less. Soon he starts seeing colored lights drop out of the ceiling and his patients begin to share their own supernatural visions with him. Some of these include information about his own family that they could not possible have known.

Caught between not having a belief system that includes the supernatural and not being able to deny his ongoing experience, Michael decides to embark on his own spiritual journey or perhaps it has already been decided for him. A chance meeting with a British born Brazilian spiritualist in a grey business suit and black pumps gives him an understanding of a spirit world he never knew existed.

When he meets Master Liao, a Chinese tai chi master, Michael is directly exposed to the power of invisible forces as his body his hurled backward into a wall by the merest touch of the master. Another Chinese master shows him the energetic blockages within his own heart and more importantly, how to get rid of them.

In Brazil, at the Casa de Dom Ignacio, home of the hugely popular faith healer John of God, Michael sits violently shaking and sobbing as saint in spirit form transmits special healing knowledge directly into michael mind. Confused and awe struck, he wonders if he should give up all worldly things and devote his time to assisting people at the Casa. This fantasy is short-lived when another being in spirit form insists that he “go home and help people.”

With a new sense of purpose, Michael returns to his acupuncture practice in Tucson Arizona and begins to treat people for their spiritual afflictions rather than only for their physical complaints. Within months his practice doubles and some people show up solely for spiritual help.

Michael comes to grip with his new found insights and realizes that there is a need for his work and it is greater than he had ever imagined. Spirituality is not a theory. Nor is it something that needs to rely on churches and priests for it’s existence. It is a reality that is more real than the physical world itself. The struggles people face in there spiritual reality therefore have great importance.

Michael’s understands that his purpose is to help people clear their spiritual blockages and to open channels to higher spiritual consciousness. This revelation leads him to intensive meditation practice where he faces temptation and discovers the true nature of spirituality in a dynamic cascade of spiritual light.

Jenemb

Re: Bloody Hell, another synopsis, aaarrrgghh!

Post by Jenemb » November 2nd, 2010, 8:22 am

Please note I haven't critiqued a synopsis before, so this might not be too helpful:

Michael Who is Michael? Where is he from and what does he do?places a Brazilian amethyst on his forehead and nods off to sleep. When he wakes up he can see ghosts and even bizarre creatures from the other side. With some help from a Native American medicine man, he is returned to his normal self, more or less. Soon he starts seeing colored lights drop out of the ceiling and his patients He's a doctor? A psychologist? I feel this should be explained at the beginning.begin to share their own supernatural visions with him. Some of these include information about his own family that they could not possible have known.

Caught between not having a belief system that includes the supernatural and not being able to deny his ongoing experience, Michael decides to embark on his own spiritual journey or perhaps it has already been decided for him. I don't think you need "or perhaps it's already been decided for him". A chance meeting with a British born Brazilian spiritualist in a grey business suit and black pumps gives him an understanding of a spirit world he never knew existed.

When he meets Master Liao, a Chinese tai chi master, Michael is directly exposed to the power of invisible forces as his body his hurled backward into a wall by the merest touch of the master. Another Chinese master shows him the energetic blockages within his own heart and more importantly, how to get rid of them.

In Brazil, at the Casa de Dom Ignacio, home of the hugely popular faith healer John of God, Michael sits violently shaking and sobbing as saint in spirit form transmits special healing knowledge directly into michael mind. Confused and awe struck, he wonders if he should give up all worldly things and devote his time to assisting people at the Casa. This fantasy is short-lived when another being in spirit form insists that he “go home and help people.”

With a new sense of purpose, Michael returns to his acupuncture practice in Tucson Arizona and begins to treat people for their spiritual afflictions rather than only for their physical complaints. Within months his practice doubles and some people show up solely for spiritual help.

Michael comes to grip with his new found insights and realizes that there is a need for his work and it is greater than he had ever imagined. Spirituality is not a theory. Nor is it something that needs to rely on churches and priests for it’s existence. It is a reality that is more real than the physical world itself. The struggles people face in there spiritual reality therefore have great importance.

Michael’s understands that his purpose is to help people clear their spiritual blockages and to open channels to higher spiritual consciousness. This revelation leads him to intensive meditation practice where he faces temptation and discovers the true nature of spirituality in a dynamic cascade of spiritual light.
This sounds interesting, but I would like to know more about the temptations that Michael faces. You might want to emphasise the conflict. As a synopsis, it may be a bit vague. It does sound intriguing though.

clara_w

Re: Bloody Hell, another synopsis, aaarrrgghh!

Post by clara_w » November 3rd, 2010, 5:13 pm

All right, I'm actually Brazilian (born and raised!) so if you need any help with your book, send me a pm.
Also, it seems to me there's a lot of Kardecist instruments here, so I'd advice you to watch the movie "Nosso Lar". I think it would help you a lot in your research, it would help you understand one of the biggest brazilian spiritualist faiths. I'm kind of a kardecist (Im christian and kardecist) so,let me know.

So, let's get to it:

Michael places a Brazilian amethyst on his forehead and nods off to sleep. Why does he do that? I'm not sure people randomly put amethists in their foreheads.When he wakes up he can see ghosts and even bizarre creaturesWhat kind of creatures? Sharing a valuable advice I learned around here: Be specific. Which is diferent from detailist. Specificity is nothing but a detail that matters. from the other side. With some help from a Native AmericanI'd say Joao de Deus here. Thats him, the native american medicine man, right? medicine man, he is returned to his normal self, more or less. Soon he starts seeing colored lights drop out of the ceiling and his patientsIs Michael a doctor? I'd say this a tad earlier. begin to share their own supernatural visions with him. Some of these include information I'd cut the following: about his own family that they could not possible have known.

Caught between not having a belief system that includes the supernatural and not being able to deny his ongoing experience, Michael decides to embark on a spiritual journey. A chance meeting with a British born Brazilian spiritualist You don't mean Kardecist by any chance, do you? If you do, I'd definetly mention Chico Xavier at some point of your story. in a grey business suit and black pumps gives him an understanding of a spirit world he never knew existed.

When he meets Master Liao, a Chinese tai chi master, Is this in Brazil?Michael is directly exposed to the power of invisible forces as his body his hurled backward into a wall by the merest touch of the master. Another Chinese master shows him the energetic blockages within his own heart and more importantly, how to get rid of them.

In Brazil, at the Casa de Dom Ignacio, home of the hugely popular faith healer John of God I wouldn't translate the names, I'd keep Joao de Deus, Michael sits violently shaking and sobbing as saintWhich saint transmits special healing knowledge directly into michael mind. Confused and awe struck, he wonders if he should give up all worldly things and devote his time to assisting people at the Casa. This fantasy is short-lived when another being in spirit form insists that he “go home and help people.”

With a new sense of purpose, Michael returns to his acupuncture practice in Tucson Arizona and begins to treat people for their spiritual afflictions rather than only for their physical complaints. Within months his practice doubles and some people show up solely for spiritual help. Ok, hes one of those spiritual surgeons.

Michael comes to grip with his new found insights and realizes that there is a need for his work and it is greater than he had ever imagined. Spirituality is not a theory. Nor is it something that needs to rely on churches and priests for it’s existence. It is a reality that is more real than the physical world itself. The struggles people face in there spiritual reality therefore have great importance. Very tricky subject here. People all around the world have different visions of religion, so, be very careful. I actually agree with you on this, but other people may not, and your book still has to appeal to them

I think your main concern here should be giving us more information thats valuable (see what I said on specificity) about Michael and his journey. Also, let us know a bit of what's in stake here for Michael (is it only his faith? Does he fall in love? Does he not?). Also I couldn't get a sense of a strong plot, which I know you have, and that takes me back to what I said first: Show us more of it.
But Id definetly buy this book, I think I'm your dream market lol.

Good luck!