What are you reading now?

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
Nick

Re: What are you reading now?

Post by Nick » December 31st, 2009, 10:45 am

Last book I read was Ghost by John Ringo. Just finished it yesterday, actually.

DSL

Post by DSL » January 4th, 2010, 1:31 pm

Just finished HEIR OF MYSTERY: THE SECOND UNLIKELY EXPLOIT (crazy, funny kids story; unique voice).
Book before that, LOVELY BONES (don't usually read murder mysteries, but such an interesting point of view/premise, I couldn't put it down).
Tonight will start AS YOU WISH (bought it for my 14-yr-old daughter for x-mas... ok, I REALLY bought it for myself... can't wait).

Missy

Post by Missy » January 4th, 2010, 3:51 pm

Over the last two weeks, I've read:

1-A Game of Thromes by George R. R. Martin. (The first in a series of looonngg fantasy books.)

2-The Maze Runner by James Dashner. I loved this book! It was a mix of The Hunger Games and Lord of the Flies. (First in a series)

3-The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor. A YA series book about the advertures of Alyss Hart, Princess of Wonderland.

4- Nightlight, a Twilight Parody. The worst few hours of my life. Imagine Scary Movie on paper. Yup.

5- Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom. An easy read, touching and sweet.

Tonight I will start on Fallen by Lauren Kate. I've read a few reviews. I don't have high expectations.

Holly

Post by Holly » January 6th, 2010, 5:16 pm

THE THIRD MAN FACTOR by John Geiger
THE PRINCE OF TIDES by Pat Conroy (what gorgeous writing)

saraho

Post by saraho » January 7th, 2010, 1:44 am

I'm reading Half World by Hiromi Goto. I'm loving it. Very Spirited Away!

Just finished reading Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. That series is blowing me away. <3
*~Sarah O.~*

abc

Post by abc » January 8th, 2010, 11:04 am

I just finished Suzanne Collin's Catching Fire last night. I read it (plus The Hunger Games) because so many people listed it as their favorite published book of 2009. Damn you! I couldn't stop reading those books. Forget work, forget dishes. My kiddo couldn't get to sleep fast enough! And now I have to wait until August to find out about Peeta! Can I just say? I love Peeta.

Rhonda

Post by Rhonda » January 8th, 2010, 1:06 pm

Ha ha. That is one great thing about coming to a series late. No waiting. I just found the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. I'm on the second book right now and it's comforting to know that there are so many more already out there, and with the length of each of them, I should be able to stay happy for a while...

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » January 8th, 2010, 3:11 pm

abc wrote:I just finished Suzanne Collin's Catching Fire last night. I read it (plus The Hunger Games) because so many people listed it as their favorite published book of 2009. Damn you! I couldn't stop reading those books. Forget work, forget dishes. My kiddo couldn't get to sleep fast enough! And now I have to wait until August to find out about Peeta! Can I just say? I love Peeta.
Haha, I know the feeling. Although I have to say I'm partial to Gale.

CV

musicgirl

Post by musicgirl » January 9th, 2010, 3:31 pm

The Last Chinese Chef by Nicole Mones - makes me hungry!

marilyn peake

Post by marilyn peake » January 9th, 2010, 6:53 pm

Received an awesome Christmas present of the entire series of MONSTER graphic novels by Naoki Urasawa. Am now on Volume 7. Fascinating series!
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.

MedleyMisty

Post by MedleyMisty » January 13th, 2010, 11:38 am

Umm - my Edgar Allan Poe collection, a collection of early American "fantastic tales", thumbing through Hamlet because I've realized that my villain is sort of Hamlet-ish and my heroine is sort of Ophelia-ish and when I read essays about the themes and characterization of it I see things I can relate to Valley, and I am going to start John Dewey's Art as Experience soon.

Shirls2010

Post by Shirls2010 » January 15th, 2010, 10:03 am

Changeling by Yasmine Galenorn and Fire Me Up by Katie MacAlister.
Just finished Gabaldon's Born in the Bone and hoping she hurries up and writes another.
The scariest moment is always just before you start."
— Stephen King (On Writing)

stevenchasey

Post by stevenchasey » January 15th, 2010, 1:15 pm

Pillars of the Earth. Ken Follet.

An oldy but a goodie. I thought it would be appropriate reading as I just got back from wandering around old cathedrals in the UK (the main character is a mason interested in building cathedrals in Renaissance England).

MaggieDana

Post by MaggieDana » January 15th, 2010, 1:45 pm

stevenchasey wrote:Pillars of the Earth. Ken Follet.

An oldy but a goodie. I thought it would be appropriate reading as I just got back from wandering around old cathedrals in the UK (the main character is a mason interested in building cathedrals in Renaissance England).
Have you read SARUM by Edward Rutherford? Some excellent descriptions on the building of a cathedral, and other stuff, including Stonehenge.
Last edited by MaggieDana on January 15th, 2010, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevenchasey

Post by stevenchasey » January 15th, 2010, 1:55 pm

I haven't, but I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the rec!