The districts in Hunger Games

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
Mark17

The districts in Hunger Games

Post by Mark17 » October 28th, 2010, 11:51 am

This could probably go in the procrastination forum as well because I've been wasting all day looking up stuff on this. Where do you think each district is in Hunger Games. A lot of fans have made maps, they're all over the place, but I'm wondering if anyone's seen a map that seems perfect. It would have been awesome if there was a map of Panem in front of the book (I think maps in the front are the best part of book sometimes, especially like in distopian future books). Maybe everything's left ambiguous for a reason.

Obviously District 12 is Appalachia, the say it, and the Capitol seems to be in the Rockies. District 13 I always picture like New York or somewhere in the BOS-WASH metropolis. Seems most likely to rebel.

What does anyone else think. Has anyone seen a good map? (Yes, I know, I am a little obsessed).

Down the well

Re: The districts in Hunger Games

Post by Down the well » October 28th, 2010, 12:55 pm

I haven't seen any of the maps (I'm not that obsessed), but my son thinks about this stuff all the time. I always thought Katniss came from West Virginia. There's a video on the forum that Robin posted awhile back of the author reading the first pages of Mockingjay. I couldn't watch it because the author started reading with a "southern" accent. Not the voice I had in my head for Katniss, but it does make sense that she would sound like that if she came from that region.

As for the other regions, I have no idea. My son has theories. I'll have to check with him. I know there is a scene in one of the books where they go through a long tunnel in the mountains on the train (to get to the capital?). There are two tunnels in Colorado that I thought she could have been referring to: either Eisenhower tunnel or the Moffet tunnel. Dunno for sure.

abc

Post by abc » October 29th, 2010, 4:41 pm

I get easily frustrated when I think about it. She seems to get to places too quickly if they are all the way across the country. It must be a fast train. And fast helicopter things.

Robin

Post by Robin » November 9th, 2010, 9:59 am

I just read HGs again, so here is my take:
11: south, maybe GA/AL/SC
4: FL (love finnick)
Capital: NY or LA can't quite decide...
13: Midwest
Robin
"A glass slipper is only a shoe. Dreamers who only dream never have their dreams come true."

http://www.RobynLucas.com/