Shiny NaNo Goodness & a shout out to Mira!

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Regan Leigh

Shiny NaNo Goodness & a shout out to Mira!

Post by Regan Leigh » October 27th, 2010, 10:55 pm

Here is my latest blog post that I thought you all might enjoy. (Mainly for the Mira idea shout out.) ;)

I recently saw a NaNo related comment on the blog that got me thinking...

Mira said, “I wish I was doing NaNo. This type of writing to a deadline works really well for me. Especially if I set up a small reward at the end. Sigh.”

What, what?! Seriously? We can, like, reward ourselves and stuff? Hells yeah!!

But no, really. Isn’t this a fantastic idea for NaNo motivation?

NaNo Reward Ideas:

* A massage, hopefully one that includes a HAND massage. (Cause your fingers will be tired. Get it?)
* That shiny new writing program you’ve always wanted? *cough* Scrivener *cough*
* Um, a new book? (Obvious)
* A weekend away… (More on that later.)
* Concert tickets
* A bottle of champagne, chocolate and raspberries.
* A writer’s professional pic/head shot.
* A new shiny website design.
* A MacBook Air. (What? Just me? )
* A pen. (For those of us who can’t afford MacBook Air. )
* An e-Reader.

What kind of reward would YOU like to give yourself. (And none of those, my book is my reward crap answers. I want to hear about the goods, people.)

I think I want a weekend away somewhere…and before next Spring. Even if it costs me more than it should.

VIDEO of the Day: Is this REALLY John Green talking about NaNo? Awesome.

sierramcconnell

Re: Shiny NaNo Goodness & a shout out to Mira!

Post by sierramcconnell » October 27th, 2010, 10:58 pm

Well, I'm kinda a bad girl. I already ordered it because it takes that long to get here but...being an Asian Ball Joint Doll enthusiast...

I bought a new muse, so to speak.

Hopefully, he'll be here in the middle of NaNo or at the end.

If that's not enough of an incentive not to give up writing completely, I don't know what is.

(Besides, they were having a 50% off sale and when a doll is usually $300, you don't take a 50% sale lightly!)
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

cheekychook

Post by cheekychook » October 27th, 2010, 11:35 pm

Wrist supports in every color including some rhinestone encrusted ones for those special post-nano occasions (you know, holiday season and all)---perhaps margo can bedazzle us all some fashionable ones. ;)

Hmmm, that's more of a post-nano-likely-need than a reward/want....will have to think about the real reward.

I'm thinking I was going in the right direction with the rhinestone idea...only maybe something not so synthetic. Jewelry and chocolate tend to make me feel better. Especially when received at the same time. I'm such a girl.
http://www.karenstivali.com

Passionate Plume 1st Place Winner 2012 - ALWAYS YOU
Published with Ellora's Cave, Turquoise Morning Press & Samhain Publishing

Claudie

Post by Claudie » October 27th, 2010, 11:51 pm

Already replied on the blog, but for the sake of repeating myself (yeah), let's go again!

First: John Green will do a NaNo pep talk this year. I CANNOT wait to read it. So much fun. :D

Second: I'm a bad girl, and I already bought my NaNo rewards. I always do. I got a ML shirt, a NaNo pen (I've been looking at it for three years, now), and a notebook.

Third: In the 'crap' department, well, I have to say that every Wrimo that tells me I'm an awesome ML and did a great job and that they had an incredible month is super rewarding. I live for that kind of feedback. :)
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Regan Leigh

Post by Regan Leigh » October 27th, 2010, 11:53 pm

sierramcconnell: I like it. Preemptive reward. :)

cheekychook: Rhinestones make everything better, huh? :) And I'm all for the chocolate. I'm also a coconut fan... :)

Regan Leigh

Post by Regan Leigh » October 27th, 2010, 11:55 pm

A pen you've looked at for 3 years?! Wow. I have to see this pen! :)

;) I totally think the book is great reward. I just like a lil somethin somethin on the side. :D

(Yes, I realize I'm talking like my teen clients tonight. And yes, I refuse to stop. ;))

Claudie wrote:Already replied on the blog, but for the sake of repeating myself (yeah), let's go again!

First: John Green will do a NaNo pep talk this year. I CANNOT wait to read it. So much fun. :D

Second: I'm a bad girl, and I already bought my NaNo rewards. I always do. I got a ML shirt, a NaNo pen (I've been looking at it for three years, now), and a notebook.

Third: In the 'crap' department, well, I have to say that every Wrimo that tells me I'm an awesome ML and did a great job and that they had an incredible month is super rewarding. I live for that kind of feedback. :)

Claudie

Post by Claudie » October 28th, 2010, 12:10 am

[quote=Regan]I totally think the book is great reward. I just like a lil somethin somethin on the side. :D[/quote]

So do I, Regan. So do I. :)
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Heather B

Post by Heather B » October 28th, 2010, 7:01 pm

My birthday is on November 24th so I've decided that's my deadline for NaNo. If I make it, I'll shout myself a party for early December. A really big one.
Journey to the Cuckoo's Nest

http://heathermbryant.blogspot.com.au/

Robin

Post by Robin » October 28th, 2010, 10:25 pm

Great topic Regan (and cute pic!).

Hmmmm. If I had to choose a reward for completing my NaNoWriMo goals, it would have to be a new purse. See, I have this (little) problem. I am so weak when it comes to cute purses.

Oooooh, we should start a new thread at the end of NaNo and post pics of our rewards.
Robin
"A glass slipper is only a shoe. Dreamers who only dream never have their dreams come true."

http://www.RobynLucas.com/

Mira

Post by Mira » October 29th, 2010, 11:23 am

Woah - a shout out! Cool. Well, that's a reward for me right there - someone reads my posts! That's always a warm, friendly feeling. :)

Thanks, Regan - sorry I'm late, I've been sunk under with mid-terms and hiding from the world. But this was a really fun post to see.

I have an elaborate reward system. It's elaborate because it's more fun that way (to me). I am highly, highly motivated by rewards, and naturally pretty lazy, so this works well for me.

I have a point system. If I do certain things, I get a certain number of points, and when I get another certain number of points, that's worth 5-10 bucks, depending. Then I can buy whatever I want - usually fun stuff. Or I can save up until I have enough to buy something really good. I have extra money to reward myself because I have student loans, which I view as free money. Obviously, this is an excellent system.

Recent rewards over the last several months have ranged from downloading a song from I-tunes, a casual computer game, an e-book, a manicure, flowers, earrings, a massage (saved up. Hmmmmmm), another massage (also saved up. Hmmmmmm), and a massage. I've almost saved up enough to buy the next expansion pack for the Sims. After that, I'm thinking....a massage.

Thanks, Regan. :)

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » October 29th, 2010, 8:33 pm

cheekychook wrote:Wrist supports in every color including some rhinestone encrusted ones for those special post-nano occasions (you know, holiday season and all)---perhaps margo can bedazzle us all some fashionable ones. ;)
Dude, count me in on that one!! I have to wear wrist braces anyways cause of my condition but I'd love to have a collection to go with my awesome cartoon tee collection!!

Wait...I have to do NaNo to get that. I tried last year and literally made myself sick with the stress. It was so bad I promised my husband I would never do NaNo again. So write on, fellow writers! Bust up that 50,000 word goal for me! I'll be trying to pull some extra hours also, for the team spirit and all. No entire-novel-in-a-month but I'll do my best.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson