Nanowrimo

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Claudie

Re: Nanowrimo

Post by Claudie » October 9th, 2010, 9:28 am

sierramcconnell wrote:Claudie, you forgot the awesome badge you get and the certificate thingie you can print out. XD
The certificate! How could I forget it? I've got a tiny corner of my wall with my Script Frenzy and NaNo ones. ^^

And yeah, Jessa, purple bar! :D When they rebooted the forums, I felt a twinge of regret at seeing mine disappear. I'll have to reconquer it again this year!
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

khanes

Post by khanes » October 9th, 2010, 2:08 pm

This may be a silly question. I'm thinking of doing NaNoWrMo, but I'm not sure if I want to wait another three weeks to start on my book. Is this challenge for starting a book at the beginning, or is the challenge to get 50,000 words? If the latter, I could start on it now and then churn the heck out of it in November. What do you guys think? I'm also keep thinking my book idea is dumb (typical writer self-doubt), and NaNo would force me to write it, haha.

BCarle

Post by BCarle » October 9th, 2010, 2:10 pm

There are no NaNo police, but you are supposed to start on November 1st with no more than an outline or some notes.

A link to the FAQ:
http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node/402737
Stuff. Things. Blog. Untitlement

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » October 9th, 2010, 2:11 pm

You have to start at the beginning. It's considered 'cheating' to use a previously started book. XD
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

Holly

Post by Holly » October 9th, 2010, 4:39 pm

khanes wrote:This may be a silly question. I'm thinking of doing NaNoWrMo, but I'm not sure if I want to wait another three weeks to start on my book. Is this challenge for starting a book at the beginning, or is the challenge to get 50,000 words? If the latter, I could start on it now and then churn the heck out of it in November. What do you guys think? I'm also keep thinking my book idea is dumb (typical writer self-doubt), and NaNo would force me to write it, haha.
The challenge is to start on Nov. 1 and write 50,000 words by midnight Nov. 30. The nanowrimo website has a place to paste your text for the word count.

You could start now, but just don't count your words.

Last year I worked on a novel in progress. This year I will be finishing the same one. I went to all the write-ins, encouraged everybody else, and found it was really helpful. I was also upfront about working on a story I'd already started. I gave a zero word total for myself. Nobody cared, I was more than welcome, and it was a lot of fun.

arbraun

Post by arbraun » October 10th, 2010, 12:17 am

This will be my first year at NaNo. I've never done it before since On Writing by Stephen King uber-motivated me. I've never had a problem writing four hours a day. But it's always good to make new friends and possibly find some critique partners!

Truth and Fiction

Post by Truth and Fiction » October 11th, 2010, 10:12 am

I've never done Nanowrimo but always thought thought that maybe I'd give it a shot. I would probably approach it as a fun side project, and not something that I hope would one day turn into an actual manuscript I'd want to try to sell. The problem is, when November rolls around every year, I'm always so busy with other writing projects that I know Nanowrimo just won't happen.

Last January, I devised my own writing month to work on my novel in progress. At first, I planned to just dedicate myself to writing every day. But soon I had set a goal of writing 2,000 words a day. And I made it. So I wrote over 60,000 words in one month! It was not easy, and there may or may not have been some stress sobbing involved, but it was an amazing experience. Of course, I'd already written 5 chapters before January. Since I don't outline or plan out the plot in detail, I think it would be very difficult to sit down and make myself start something from scratch and end up with 50,000 words at the end of a month.

BCarle

Post by BCarle » October 11th, 2010, 10:41 am

Scroll toward the bottom of this page:
http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node%252F3470212

For those who aren't able to participate in NaNoWriMo, there's a list of events similar to NaNo, including NaNoFiMo (National Finishing Month) in December and NaNoEdMo (revising) in March.
Stuff. Things. Blog. Untitlement

Margo

Post by Margo » October 11th, 2010, 3:44 pm

Sommer Leigh wrote:...a white chocolate pumpkin latte...
Oh, is good! Yes yes yum! Got one now! Yay! I think they forgot to make it decaf!
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » October 11th, 2010, 5:45 pm

Margo wrote:
Sommer Leigh wrote:...a white chocolate pumpkin latte...
Oh, is good! Yes yes yum! Got one now! Yay! I think they forgot to make it decaf!

Hahahaha! I think they did too!!!
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Matt in the Hat

Post by Matt in the Hat » October 13th, 2010, 12:55 am

I've never done Nanowrimo before, but this girl on my floor has and was talking about it the one day and got me into it. I figure since I'm so busy now with all this different stuff and haven't gotten to write as much as I've wanted to recently, it'll be a good wait to force me to make some progress.

I'm trying to keep a totally blank palette before then - like I want to just sit down with my computer at midnight November 1st and begin on whatever first pops into my head. I'm not too sure how that will work out since I usually need a solid source of inspiration to write something decent, but I guess I'll see.

Claudie

Post by Claudie » October 13th, 2010, 12:35 pm

Well, Matt, there's no better time than NaNoWriMo try something that might end up not decent. :)

By the way, we all need to bring widgets of our wordcounts and stick them in the first page. That way, we'll be able to keep track of each other easily during the month!
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Margo

Post by Margo » October 13th, 2010, 2:35 pm

Claudie wrote:By the way, we all need to bring widgets of our wordcounts and stick them in the first page. That way, we'll be able to keep track of each other easily during the month!
Claudie, you troublemaker! :) Why you gotta think up so many ways to keep me accountable?
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Claudie

Post by Claudie » October 13th, 2010, 3:46 pm

Margo wrote:
Claudie wrote:By the way, we all need to bring widgets of our wordcounts and stick them in the first page. That way, we'll be able to keep track of each other easily during the month!
Claudie, you troublemaker! :) Why you gotta think up so many ways to keep me accountable?
Because of the NaNoWriMo winners finished because they'd declared they would. That, and I enjoy causing pain. :P

JennaSaisPas

Post by JennaSaisPas » October 14th, 2010, 4:57 am

Claudie wrote: By the way, we all need to bring widgets of our wordcounts and stick them in the first page. That way, we'll be able to keep track of each other easily during the month!
Dost mine ears deceive me? Speakest thou of widgets? Pray tell, where might such beasts be found?!?!?

:D
-----Jenna

This signature will self-destruct in 42 seconds. Have a nice day.