Favorite quotes about writing

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Mira

Re: Favorite quotes about writing

Post by Mira » September 30th, 2010, 1:16 pm

Thought these were funny, especially the first:

I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done.
Steven Wright

I'm writing an unauthorized autobiography.
Steven Wright

Dana-Lynn

Post by Dana-Lynn » October 2nd, 2010, 4:59 am

I love this thread! Soooo many great quotes! I actually keep a file of Good Quotes in my Word documents. Whenever I come across a quote I like, I paste it into my file. :)

Here are a my favs:

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

In the deepest hour of the night, confess to yourself that you would die if you were forbidden to write. And look deep into your heart where it spreads its roots, the answer, and ask yourself, must I write?
—Rainer Maria Rilke’s "philosophy of solitude"

"There is absolutely no point in sitting down to write a book unless you feel you must write that book, or else go mad, or die." Robertson Davies

And for those times when you've poured your heart and soul into a novel and finally finished the final draft, but haven't started the next novel yet:

Don’t look backward for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we’re curious . . . and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. ~ Walt Disney

“The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones.”
John Maynard Keynes

Very fitting, I think.... :D
*It's the writer's job to keep upping the ante on the complications, starting a bigger problem the minute the last one's resolved, keeping the reader turning those pages.*

Jessa

Post by Jessa » October 5th, 2010, 12:44 am

I could quote the entire song "Die Vampire, Die!" from [Title of Show], but this bit near the end is my favorite and is now printed out and on the corkboard over my computer:

The last vampire is the mother of all vampires, and that is the vampire of despair.
It'll wake you up at 4 am to say things like:
"Who do you think you're kidding?"
"You look like a fool."
"No matter how hard you try, you'll never be good enough."
Why is it if some dude walked up to me on the subway platform and said these things, I would think he was a mentally ill asshole but if the vampire inside my head says it, it's the voice of reason?