Weird bookstores?

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
craig

Weird bookstores?

Post by craig » September 18th, 2010, 2:10 pm

So...

I heard about this bookstore in my city, pretty close to me, that sells brand new books for dirt cheap. I'm not too sure of the legality of the business if the guy sells brand new hardcovers for $10 or less and brand new paperbacks for $5 or less -- I don't know if these "fell off the truck" or if perhaps the guy has family connections in the publishing world.

Anyway, I went to check it out.

It's part bookstore, part barbershop, and not much bigger than an small kitchen. It's a tiny one-room place with bookshelves all around the walls and two barber chairs in the middle. So, while I was checking out the books, some guy was getting a haircut about a foot behind me.

It was a bizarre experience.

Any other weird bookstores out there?

craig

Re: Weird bookstores?

Post by craig » September 18th, 2010, 2:11 pm

Whoops! Meant to post this in "All Things Books" -- Is there a way to move it over there?

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » September 20th, 2010, 9:56 pm

craig wrote:Whoops! Meant to post this in "All Things Books" -- Is there a way to move it over there?
Done!

Mira

Post by Mira » September 21st, 2010, 10:40 pm

This isn't weird, exactly, but there's a bookstore in Berkeley that sells only New Age books. It's really a trip to browse through it. A section for Astrology, one for Numerology, etc. I can have alot of fun there. :)

Holly

Post by Holly » September 22nd, 2010, 10:45 am

I'll never forget the tiny "bookstore" I discovered in the courtyard of a hotel in Guatemala. New and used books, a couple of plush yellow armchairs, palm trees, tiled floor, a falling down staircase to the roof, and a generous hotel manager, who loaned books out to people who couldn't afford to buy them.

steve

Post by steve » September 23rd, 2010, 3:55 pm

Kayo Books in SF is wall-to-wall vintage pulp books.

Kramerbooks in Washington DC has a cafe inside it.

Dark Carnival is near my house and full of fantasy/sci-fi.
Read one of the best stories by Borges.

pavloviandoggy

Post by pavloviandoggy » October 6th, 2010, 8:06 pm

There's a used bookstore where I live. I love it and I've been going there since I was eight, but it looks VERY sketchy. I believe that it used to be a warehouse, so there's no windows. And they built a second wing by knocking down a wall to a storage shed and building a breezeway. But I still go there because they have practically every edition of every book written in English in the last twenty years.